Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

15,000 miles or so criss-crossing the country.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 221BMike

221BMike

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

Why not Southwest Chief from CHI to LAX so you get to LA a day earlier (plus you'll already be on the Sunset Limited between SAS-LAX anyway)?

I considered that, but speed is not my objective. Plus as I see it (probably wrong) the City of New Orleans and SWC is $1256. I got CONO and Texas Eagle for $954.90.

#22 221BMike

221BMike

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

Hi Mike,

Sounds a great adventure that you have in store, will you be starting out from Baker Street tube station?  :D

I have to say that the * connections you wish to make are very tight, and may well cause you problems.  If you were "allowed" to make a connection as one "through" journey on the website, say Orlando to Chicago, then if it goes wrong, Amtrak will foot the bill for a hotel in Washington, for example.

If you book these as two seperate trips, then you are on your own as to missed connections, as far as I know.

I seem to recall that the website will not "allow" through connections which are less than 5 hours on the timetable, but I may be wrong.

Never looked at the insurance offered, so maybe our USA chums can elaborate on its cover once America awakes?

I believe you can still leave luggage in the lounge at Chicago, although the "secure" room is not in use?

Your post is exactly the sort to get AU members attention, so I am sure you will get lots of advice!

I will mention Powells Bookshop in Portland as a gem well worth visiting.

I am most envious of your trip!

Ed.

Many thanks for your good wishes - Amtrak allowed booking the one hour connection from Coast Starlight to Sunset Ltd, but I wimped out. After reassurance from a an Amtrak member, I'm going to cancel my night in LAX and add a night in NOL I won't leave my bags unattended in Chicago, so I'm looking for an alternative. I will certainly look for Powells.

:)

#23 221BMike

221BMike

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:44 PM

Hi Mike,

Sounds a great adventure that you have in store, will you be starting out from Baker Street tube station?  :D

I have to say that the * connections you wish to make are very tight, and may well cause you problems.  If you were "allowed" to make a connection as one "through" journey on the website, say Orlando to Chicago, then if it goes wrong, Amtrak will foot the bill for a hotel in Washington, for example.

If you book these as two seperate trips, then you are on your own as to missed connections, as far as I know.

I seem to recall that the website will not "allow" through connections which are less than 5 hours on the timetable, but I may be wrong.

Never looked at the insurance offered, so maybe our USA chums can elaborate on its cover once America awakes?

I believe you can still leave luggage in the lounge at Chicago, although the "secure" room is not in use?

Your post is exactly the sort to get AU members attention, so I am sure you will get lots of advice!

I will mention Powells Bookshop in Portland as a gem well worth visiting.

I am most envious of your trip!

Ed.

Many thanks for your good wishes - Amtrak allowed booking the one hour connection from Coast Starlight to Sunset Ltd, but I wimped out. After reassurance from a an Amtrak member, I'm going to cancel my night in LAX and add a night in NOL I won't leave my bags unattended in Chicago, so I'm looking for an alternative. I will certainly look for Powells.

:)

Yes, I will be having dinner at the Sherlock Holmes hotel in Baker Street with friends on Tuesday, the night before my flight. I'm bringing my antique Ulster overcoat and silly deerstalker hat and I intend to wear same whenever I have the nerve. Last visit travelling on the Crescent/Lake Shore Limited/ Zephyr I met a slew of people who, if not exactly Holmesians, knew the canon enough for a fun chat. And I learned a very great deal about re-rifling US naval canons for battleships from a breakfast acquaintance. I love trains.

#24 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:56 PM

Re bag storage in Chicago

The station lists it has bag storage for a fee. My guess it is in the ticket hall but others here will know the answer.

#25 221BMike

221BMike

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:24 PM

I notice that the topic shows, on my screen, no replies or posts. Is that me, or should I report to the authorities?

#26 221BMike

221BMike

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:56 PM

Here are floor plans of a Superliner Sleeper (for most of your trains):

amtrak-diagram-superliner-sleeper.jpg

...and a Viewliner Sleeper (for the Silver Star and maybe your CHI-NYP train):

amtrak-diagram-viewliner-sleeper.jpg

Cars with a certain number will always be in the same position within a train (except that some trains reverse seasonally).  Here is a thread about where cars are located within a train:  http://discuss.amtra...nsist-listings/

I would book a hotel room for a night instead of hoping the trains will not be late for some of your connections.  If you miss the Coast Starlight to Sunset Limited / Texas Eagle connection, the next train will be two or three days away, and this would seriously impact the entire rest of your trip.  Also, even if Amtrak guarantees a connection that you miss and puts you on a later train, you might not get a Roomette on the substitution.

Many thanks again - that covers all of my cabins except City of New Orleans car 5809, room 19. Any ideas? I'm sure it'll be Ok anyway.

#27 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,852 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

Cars with a certain number will always be in the same position within a train (except that some trains reverse seasonally).  Here is a thread about where cars are located within a train:  http://discuss.amtra...nsist-listings/

I would book a hotel room for a night instead of hoping the trains will not be late for some of your connections.  If you miss the Coast Starlight to Sunset Limited / Texas Eagle connection, the next train will be two or three days away, and this would seriously impact the entire rest of your trip.  Also, even if Amtrak guarantees a connection that you miss and puts you on a later train, you might not get a Roomette on the substitution.

Many thanks again - that covers all of my cabins except City of New Orleans car 5809, room 19. Any ideas? I'm sure it'll be Ok anyway.

Transdorm

amtrak-diagram-superliner-transitionslee

Edited by AmtrakBlue, 28 January 2018 - 07:59 PM.

#28 221BMike

221BMike

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

Transdorm

amtrak-diagram-superliner-transitionslee

Aha, superb. Many thanks.

#29 tomfuller

tomfuller

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Interests:Trains, geocaching, travel.

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:56 PM

Are you using a USA Railpass or buying individual tickets? If the southbound Coast Starlightis running very late when you get to Sacramento (after 9AM), you can make
it to Los Angeles about 3 hours before the SL/TE leaves by taking the bus to Stockton to catch the 712 San Joaquin south to Bakersfield. The drawback is that you miss
the coast view around Santa Barbara but the CS may be late enough that you get there long after sunset.
The other drawback is the 2:20 bus ride from Bakersfield to LAX.

#30 ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Interests:Math, old train schedules

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:51 PM

Awww, ya shoulda done the CA Zephyr. I will recommend the Cardinal though, especially because it is winter. The trees will be less grown or bare, allowing for easier viewing of the New River Gorge in West Virginia (Montgomery, WV to Hinton, WV).
I have ridden Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-PDX), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I have seen, including the previous, California Zephyr #5 at SAC (with luck), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), and Empire Builder #28 at PDX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).

#31 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:03 AM

Are you using a USA Railpass or buying individual tickets?

https://tickets.amtr...trak/selectpass

12 segments/30 days is $689 US

18 segments/45 days is $899 US

I got one on my cross country trip back in 2015. It then gives you more flexibility to choose trains (although some trains may not be available). You can see if you can get the SWC between CHI-LAX instead of getting stuck with the TE and the extra day on the train. One less day on the train means one extra day in Chicago or Los Angeles. From the dates and itinerary you might be able to fit everything on the 12 segment/30 day pass although it would be tight. 

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#32 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

Re bag storage in Chicago

The station lists it has bag storage for a fee. My guess it is in the ticket hall but others here will know the answer.

I stored a bag there last month; I checked it in at the baggage check-in desk next to the baggage claim. It cost $10 per bag.
<p>Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-NYP

#33 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

Yep. At Penn Station, Washington Union Station, Chicago Union Station, Philadelphia 30th Street Station and Seattle King Street Station the left luggage (now called Parcel Check) charge is $10 per bag, per 24 hours instead of the $5 per elsewhere.

1963 U. S. Congress - underground trolley system Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) Old Tucson steam train (1969)
Amtrak - California Zephyr Coast Starlight  Southwest Chief Sunset Limited Texas Eagle  Illinois Zephyr
. . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far. 7,320 more miles booked OTM - OKJ - EMY - OTM March 2018.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users