Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

AVE [Talgo vs Siemens]

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GiantsFan

GiantsFan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

I recently went on a trip to Barcelona, and took the AVE to and from Madrid. 

On the ride from Barcelona to Madrid, I was on a Siemens trainset. It was smooth, comfortable, quiet, and fast. (Top speed I saw was 300 kph). We made 4 stops and made the journey in a little over 3 hours. 

The return ride was on a Talgo trainset, and the ride was much bumpier and noticeably noisier. (Top speed was again, 300 kph). The train ran non-stop and we made the trip in exactly 2.5 hours. 

The interior was also a bit more comfortable on the Siemens trainset... 

Was wondering in anyone had any thought on why the Talgo ride quality was so much worse than the Siemens? Both trains came out around the same time ... The only thing I can think of is the nature of the talgo coaches (Lightweight/low slung/less dampening). Looks like Renfe went with Talgo again for their next order (Talgo Avril). 

On a side note, I rode another variant of the Siemens Valero when I took the Eurostar between London and Paris, it also had a great ride quality. Having ridden on various Alstom TGVs, Shinkansens, and Siemens trains, it seems Talgo is noticeably different (worse) in ride quality and isolation of noise. 

Edited by GiantsFan, 25 January 2018 - 08:12 PM.

Based in NorCal. Routes: Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Capitol Corridor, San Joaquin, San Diegan, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades, Northeast Regional.

#2 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:56 AM

I think one of the main drawbacks of the Talgo design is the absence of trucks meaning there is a more direct transmission of vibrations into the passenger compartment. Also the low floor puts you closer to the track so you may perceive things like nosie more, even if objectively there isn' more of it.

Personally I find the gentle low-frequency sideways roll of the talgo to be more relaxing than the occasional figure-of-eight that Velaro does, especially if you are stitting at the end of one of the intermediate cars.

That said, the Velaro ride is far from perfect . One of the best riding high-speed trains in my opinion is the first generation ICE.

#3 GiantsFan

GiantsFan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:02 PM

I think one of the main drawbacks of the Talgo design is the absence of trucks meaning there is a more direct transmission of vibrations into the passenger compartment. Also the low floor puts you closer to the track so you may perceive things like nosie more, even if objectively there isn' more of it.

Personally I find the gentle low-frequency sideways roll of the talgo to be more relaxing than the occasional figure-of-eight that Velaro does, especially if you are stitting at the end of one of the intermediate cars.

That said, the Velaro ride is far from perfect . One of the best riding high-speed trains in my opinion is the first generation ICE.

Must be it ...  

Although for me ... it was very rough. Was not relaxing at all. Lots of jerking, lots of noise ... it sounded as if you were driving down the highway and a window was left slightly open. 

The rest of my party I was traveling with (Non-rail fans) all commented how terrible the ride was compared to the first train we took ... 

Edited by GiantsFan, 29 January 2018 - 09:03 PM.

Based in NorCal. Routes: Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Capitol Corridor, San Joaquin, San Diegan, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades, Northeast Regional.

#4 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,683 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:23 PM

I hate the Talgo ride quality too. It has a go-cart like feel to it. But that may just be me and a dozen or two others that feel that way though

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users