Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Stretch/Smoke Stop List

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 dogbert617

dogbert617

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:07 AM

I have seen passengers smoking on the platform in Sacramento. I also had a morning when the Zephyr and Capitol Corridor met and the CZ passengers were smoking. A guy came off the CC, looked at the smokers at the end of the platform then ran to an SCA and started insisting on his conductor. A conductor showed up, listened to the guy rant and then walked down to the smokers. They finished up and walked away. I heard later that smoking was not allowed but it wasn’t an enforced rule. So as of a month ago, people smoked on the end of the platform but I have no idea if it is official not allowed.

Never have ridden Coast Starlight(Seattle-LA), but I believe I've supposedly heard from others who've ridden that train that the Sacramento platform is non-smoking. I'll guess that rule isn't enforced, just as I'd suspect....

#42 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:18 AM

I have seen passengers smoking on the platform in Sacramento. I also had a morning when the Zephyr and Capitol Corridor met and the CZ passengers were smoking. A guy came off the CC, looked at the smokers at the end of the platform then ran to an SCA and started insisting on his conductor. A conductor showed up, listened to the guy rant and then walked down to the smokers. They finished up and walked away. I heard later that smoking was not allowed but it wasn’t an enforced rule. So as of a month ago, people smoked on the end of the platform but I have no idea if it is official not allowed.

I have been to Sac multiple times. Once every so many minutes, this announcement will show up that the TTS announcer will say:

...smoking is prohibited in and around the platform...

And of course, I have yet to see someone busted there for smoking.

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, California Zephyr, Sunset Limited, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 37099 miles

#43 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

Grand Forks, ND is not a smoke stop. It's usually blocking a crossing while there.

Amtrak Miles: 209,015 (as of 7/23/18)

#44 dogbert617

dogbert617

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:40 AM

Grand Forks, ND is not a smoke stop. It's usually blocking a crossing while there.

I just looked over arrival and departure times, and I think you're right that it isn't a smoke stop unlike what I thought for the Empire Builder. I am starting to think Winnemucca, NV might be a smoke stop for the California Zephyr, looking at its arrival and departure times from that station on most days.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users