Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Rare Mileage Trip - DC, VA, WV, PA & MD CANCELLED

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:49 AM

Hence today I've put in about thirty different applications in another industry after I heard the news. Why the train master doesn't hear till the passengers beats me. Hello Aviation.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#22 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:38 AM

Just doing back of the envelope accounting, charging $189 in coach, you would need 400 reservations just to cover what Amtrak is charging, not to mention NS costs, PV charges ( which obviously wouldn't be covered by the limited numbers you can book in a first class car, and then you have salaries for TM, reservations people, marketing costs, etc.

This trip looks like it was destined to fail.... 

#23 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:13 AM

I'm the trainmaster on the train and I'm not by anyway the business person on this. I can give anyone who wants his email that email so you can talk. But I will address all of the issues.

1. My boss Mr. Horstman unfortunately made the decision based on bad information to launch before the Norfolk Southern approval. Amtrak had already given him a quote for the train of 75,400 for the day trip which he took as a sign of it not having issues getting approved. Our contact at Amtrak was not concerned about the threat of NS turning it down. With that being said the marketing department has drafted an apology letter that should have been uploaded to the site. If it wasn't please let me know and I will personally have words with Mr. Horstman.

2. No money has been spent in marketing, deposits, or anything up to this point. So anyone who has reserved a spot has nothing to worry about. The reason Mr. Horstman has not approved PV deposits being paid at this point is because they are non refundable and he didn't want to pay them to have the trip pulled as what happened and be unable to refund your money. However we did have those four cars lined up that if they would have had a charter they would have notified us to give us first right of refusal.

3. What's happening now. Right now Mr. Horstman is attempting to work with Amtrak who is still willing to work with him. Here is what is being worked on WAS-HAR up and back via the Port Road is the first option. And the second option is WAS-CUM as a daytrip on the CL route. When I hear something I will be the first to pass it on.

4. This is me asking you not to judge me based on the failure. My job is strictly to manage the operation of the train on the day, crew the train, service, and to arrange which private cars are on the train. So any failures of my boss I please ask that you do not hold me to him. I've told him repeatedly to remove the taxes and fees or to specify what they are. I begged for him to change the refund policy till he lost a sixty man group because of it. I have relatively no power over the business of it.

If anyone has any questions feel free to reach out to me. I am still contracted to whatever spring excursion happens. And after that I am retiring from the excursion business because there are less stressful jobs to make money. And the bullying and cattiness between operators that I've witnessed happen because of this trip from people in the rail industry has really made me despise the rail industry. The funny thing is I loved trains before I worked on them. Now I really have grown to indifference and borderline hatred.

JH

You are handling this with class.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#24 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

Just doing back of the envelope accounting, charging $189 in coach, you would need 400 reservations just to cover what Amtrak is charging, not to mention NS costs, PV charges ( which obviously wouldn't be covered by the limited numbers you can book in a first class car, and then you have salaries for TM, reservations people, marketing costs, etc.

This trip looks like it was destined to fail.... 

I've had my doubts but I generally have had to keep quiet on those because I do not want to ruffle my boss's feelings too much because I do like a paycheck.
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#25 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:17 PM

Not your fault, Seaboard92--we understand.

I agree--time to try another career.

I've had several in my life that I just sort of fell into, and I've liked all of them. It's important to have work you enjoy.

#26 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

Hence today I've put in about thirty different applications in another industry after I heard the news. Why the train master doesn't hear till the passengers beats me. Hello Aviation.

Well, there's a decent chance that "we" (generally and collectively) heard about it through a grapevine originating at NS rather than your company...

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#27 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:32 PM

I have an interview for aviation in two weeks. So we shall see if I make the cut.

#28 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:33 PM

Good luck on your interviews.

#29 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:29 PM

Good luck on your interviews.

Thank you. I figured I would take the train to my interview to destress somewhat and detox. So me and a friend are taking the Empire Builder from Chicago to Portland. And he's going to drill me with interview questions the entire time.

#30 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:49 PM

Sounds like a good plan!

#31 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:45 AM

Best of luck on your interview!   Working for an airline will open up new world's for you (literally) in railfanning all over.... ;)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#32 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,926 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:06 AM

So AU! Thread on Rare Mileage trip has transformed itself into the Airline Interview Trip thread :D

#33 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:24 AM

Actually it is related since the trip ( cancelled) is related ultimately to the interviews.

#34 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:33 PM

Thank you. We shall see how it goes. Alaska/Horizon may not have the international destinations. But it does allow me to move out of SC which is something I've dreamed about since I was seven. I used to say at age seven "we have substandard education in SC." And I've been to Portland so many times that it feels like a home to me.

#35 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:49 AM

Thank you. We shall see how it goes. Alaska/Horizon may not have the international destinations. But it does allow me to move out of SC which is something I've dreamed about since I was seven.

Not to worry....where Alaska doesn't go, "ZED" and Interline reciprocity will take you there..... ;)  :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users