Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Canada's Rocky Mountaineer Stadler Order

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ORLPacific

ORLPacific

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:19 PM

Back in May of 2016, Stadler announced that they were building 10 new railcars for the luxury train service, based on the "Ultra Domes" that Colorado Railcars previously built. This will be the first time the company is building locomotive hauled passenger railcars for the North American market. I was surprised when they announced this, but the company has been known for building custom made rolling stock, EMU, DMU, and locomotives. Though it makes me wonder why they didn't go to US Railcar, the company that bought the assets of Colorado Railcar, who still advertise the "Ultra Dome" as one of their products.

Here's the announcement in 2016:http://www.stadlerra...ership-stadler/

12/05/2016 – ROCKY MOUNTAINEER ANNOUNCES PARTNERSHIP WITH STADLER

Rocky Mountaineer Announces Partnership with Stadler to Engineer Completely new Railcars for the First Time in More than a Decade.

Vancouver, Canada and Berlin, Germany — May 11, 2016 — Rocky Mountaineer and Stadler today announced an agreement to add to the Canadian luxury tourist rail company’s fleet of custom made GoldLeaf railcars. The project will see 10 brand new cars arriving in Canada beginning in 2018. These new cars will be completely re-engineered with efficiency and guest comfort in mind leveraging Stadler’s renowned expertise at facilities in Switzerland & Germany.

The website Railway Stays took recent photos in October of 2017 of the building of the new railcars in Germany. Link:http://www.railwayst...wiss-precision/

Note that they still included the small open area at one end of the railcar.

Edited by ORLPacific, 22 January 2018 - 11:33 PM.

#2 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:56 AM

You know, I'd have to wonder about why a slew of orders haven't gone to US Railcar...and I'm guessing it was some mix of competitive pricing and company track record/reputation.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#3 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,142 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:42 AM

The product is scheisse.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#4 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:16 AM

GML, why do you say that? [I know a little German.]

#5 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,142 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:31 AM

CRCs carbon steel (hahaha) designs have been the bane of everyone who ever operated them.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#6 ORLPacific

ORLPacific

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:37 PM

Just a few more things:

Railcolor recently covered these new cars back in February  -> link

and there's a pdf document sheet posted on stadler rail website-> link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users