Texas Eagle question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHvision

Train Attendant
*On some specific days, I know that the Sunset Limited sleeper is coupled with the Texas Eagle to Chicago. What I was wondering is after it heads to Chicago, does the consist head back to San Antonio as the Sunset Limited takes the sleeper for the trip to Los Angeles?

*Also, by the thru cars at San Antonio, if the sleeper and coach is used, will there be a extra diner used for the next day heading back to Chicago?

Last edited by a moderator:
Only the through coach and sleeper car are coupled to the SL to continue to Los Angeles. There is no "extra" diner. The diner, typically a Cross Country Cafe, stays with the main TE consist between SAS and CHI.

From the post, 2nd bullet point, I meant "sleeper"

will there be a extra diner used for the next day heading back to Chicago?

(sleeper)

From the post, 2nd bullet point, I meant "sleeper"

will there be a extra diner used for the next day heading back to Chicago?

(sleeper)
The main Texas Eagle (San Antonio to Chicago) consist generally goes as following:

Locomotive - Baggage car - Transition Sleeper - Sleeper - Diner (Cross Country Cafe) - Lounge - Coach - Coach - Coach

The Sunset Limited (between San Antonio and Los Angeles) consist generally looks like this:

Locomotive - Locomotive - Baggage car - Transition Sleeper - Sleeper - Standard Diner - Lounge - Coach - Coach - Coach - Sleeper

The TE through-cars are shown in bold. On the days that the Sunset Limited runs, one sleeper and one coach are transferred to/from it and the Eagle. This means that between SAS and LAX, the through-cars are at the back of the Sunset. When the Sunset Limited isn't running, both cars will run back and forth on the Eagle.

The Texas Eagle route has no mountains to climb. Also CSX has a rule to have two locomotives on Amtrak trains over a certain car length.

Why would CSX care about the SL?
default_huh.png
That is UP track!

Never understood why the Eagle gets shortchanged with one locomotive yet a seven car SL gets two.
Bear in mind that the Sunset is nine cars between SAS and LAX (which makes up 75% of the whole route). Plus, what is so bad about having one locomotive?

Never understood why the Eagle gets shortchanged with one locomotive yet a seven car SL gets two.
Bear in mind that the Sunset is nine cars between SAS and LAX (which makes up 75% of the whole route). Plus, what is so bad about having one locomotive?
If you've ever been on the Eagle in 100+ degree heat when a run to death P-42 craps out in the Middle of Nowhere, and the passengera sit and suffer for hours while awaiting a Freight Rescue engine or buses to show up, you'd understand why 2 engines are an excellent idea!
Take it from one who has has this happen several times on this route.

If you've ever been on the Eagle in 100+ degree heat when a run to death P-42 craps out in the Middle of Nowhere, and the passengera sit and suffer for hours while awaiting a Freight Rescue engine or buses to show up, you'd understand why 2 engines are an excellent idea!
Take it from one who has has this happen several times on this route.
OK, that’s a pretty good reason.
default_biggrin.png

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Between SAS and LAX the train is both the Sunset Limited and the Texas Eagle.

The SL cars are towards the front of the consist and the TE cars are at the end.

Last may I went from LAX to CHI.

A SL roomette from LAX to ALP was about half the price of one on the TE.

So I moved to the TE part of the train at ALP so I would not have to get off the train at SAS during the evolution of making 2 separate trains out of the one train.

From the standpoint of pulling the train, as opposed to providing HEP if an engine craps out, do two make any difference. It's been my experience if the horn on the front loco goes bad, it's wait for a freight engine anyway.

From the standpoint of pulling the train, as opposed to providing HEP if an engine craps out, do two make any difference. It's been my experience if the horn on the front loco goes bad, it's wait for a freight engine anyway.

That largely depends on the fault. If it is something that will travel through the propulsion cable (such as a high voltage ground) and impact the other unit, having two units means very little. If it is something that can be localized (like a propulsion fault or an armature ground) having two units can help.

Horn failure with two units should not require a tow unless there is no means to flat switch the engines in a timely fashion.

Horn failure with two units should not require a tow unless there is no means to flat switch the engines in a timely fashion.
I know the crack about the horn sounded sarcastic, but it actually happened. At least that was the explanation given for a very late #6 into Denver.

That largely depends on the fault. If it is something that will travel through the propulsion cable (such as a high voltage ground) and impact the other unit, having two units means very little. If it is something that can be localized (like a propulsion fault or an armature ground) having two units can help.

Unless the 2nd engine is facing backwards. Without a working horn, the train has to stop and flag EVERY grade crossing.

Back