Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Can get points need to book trip

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sjgiss

sjgiss

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Anywhere a train goes

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

I have been trying for the last week and a half to find out on Amtrak website how many point needed for a trip and continually get error unable to book with points continue using a credit card. What gives?

Empire Builder(9), Southwest Chief(5), Coast Starlight ,California Zephyr, Hiawatha(10)

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,352 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:33 PM

I am confused by your statement. Are you trying to determine how many points you need, or are you trying to book a trip using points?:huh: If trying to book and the website is giving you problems,why not just call AGR to book the trip?
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#3 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:22 AM

I've noticed a problem recently with trying to use the website to book a trip using points if the trip involves Midwest corridor trains. As an example, if I search for CHI-NYP (a trip that would take place on LD and possibly NEC trains), there is no problem, the point total is displayed. But if I search MKE-NYP (a trip that would involve a Midwest corridor train [Hiawatha] as well as LD and potentially NEC trains), I get the error message OP mentioned.

I was just doing some very preliminary planning so I didn't call AGR or follow up with Amtrak/AGR about what the problem may be. I assumed it would be a short-term/temporary glitch that would disappear by the time it mattered to any more serious planning I would do. Guess it hasn't gone away.

Edited by Eric S, 21 January 2018 - 09:22 AM.

#4 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,490 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

I've noticed a problem recently with trying to use the website to book a trip using points if the trip involves Midwest corridor trains. As an example, if I search for CHI-NYP (a trip that would take place on LD and possibly NEC trains), there is no problem, the point total is displayed. But if I search MKE-NYP (a trip that would involve a Midwest corridor train [Hiawatha] as well as LD and potentially NEC trains), I get the error message OP mentioned.

I was just doing some very preliminary planning so I didn't call AGR or follow up with Amtrak/AGR about what the problem may be. I assumed it would be a short-term/temporary glitch that would disappear by the time it mattered to any more serious planning I would do. Guess it hasn't gone away.

Gltches don't disappear if the programmers don't know they exist.  Contact Amtrak (via their FB page or Twitter are good ways) and let them know of the glitch.

#5 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

Gltches don't disappear if the programmers don't know they exist.  Contact Amtrak (via their FB page or Twitter are good ways) and let them know of the glitch.

Already done. Did so after reading here that it was an ongoing problem.

#6 sjgiss

sjgiss

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Anywhere a train goes

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:55 AM

the_traveler

I'm trying to see how many points I need for a trip.

Empire Builder(9), Southwest Chief(5), Coast Starlight ,California Zephyr, Hiawatha(10)

#7 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:02 AM

Working for me!

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#8 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:03 AM

the_traveler

Give it another try. It's working for me now.

#9 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, trivia, adventures, historic preservation

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:32 AM

It's working for the Michigan Services routes. I submitted feedback a couple days ago. I wonder if it had something to do with the schedule change? Maybe one code borked another.

Anyway, you should be able to book your trip online now. :)

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#10 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,946 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

the_traveler

AGR points are valued at 2.9 cents each. Find the fare in dollars and do the math. ex:  $1000 in Amtrak travel costs 29,000 points. The only exception to the rule is the Acela train for which AGR points are only worth 2.6 cents.

#11 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,490 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:05 PM

the_traveler

AGR points are valued at 2.9 cents each. Find the fare in dollars and do the math. ex:  $1000 in Amtrak travel costs 29,000 points. The only exception to the rule is the Acela train for which AGR points are only worth 2.6 cents.

Wrong.  There are other exceptions, like former black out dates.

#12 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:35 PM

the_traveler

Your math is wrong. If 1 point was worth 2.9 cents, then a $1,000 ticket would cost approximately 34,500 points, not 29,000.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users