Seeking Advice - Empire Builder, Glacier National Park

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyJourneys

Train Attendant
Hi everyone,

I'd like to take a trip on the Empire Builder (SEA to CHI, probably) and stop for a few days at Glacier National Park.

I've researched past threads, and I think the consensus is that the ride is more scenic going west to east (due to timing). If you've ridden the EB both ways, do you agree?

Which is the best direction for better chances of arriving at GNP during the daytime? (I'll be walking to the hotel at the depot.)

What time of year would you recommend for the journey (weather-wise, lower chance of snow closures, crowd level-wise at GNP)?

Any tips, tricks, advice?

Thank you for your time!

Journey

Hi everyone,

I'd like to take a trip on the Empire Builder (SEA to CHI, probably) and stop for a few days at Glacier National Park.

East or West Glacier?

I've researched past threads, and I think the consensus is that the ride is more scenic going west to east (due to timing). If you've ridden the EB both ways, do you agree?

The ride is equally scenic in either direction as long as it's daylight.

Which is the best direction for better chances of arriving at GNP during the daytime? (I'll be walking to the hotel at the depot.)

West to east has the greater likelihood of seeing the park in daylight.

What time of year would you recommend for the journey (weather-wise, lower chance of snow closures, crowd level-wise at GNP)?

Most roads in the park are usually open by late June or early July. High country trails may not open fully until later. Once can expect winter conditions October through April. In my opinion the best time to visit is mid August through Labor Day weekend. The park is more crowded July and August but as schools open across the country things get a little quieter in late August. September can also be very nice but days are getting shorter and there is a better chance for snow.

Any tips, tricks, advice?

Where do you plan to stay while visiting Glacier? Lodging fills quickly so I suggest getting that done ASAP.

Thank you for your time!

Journey

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I did that last July...SEA to GPK (East Glacier Park) and on to CHI. 4 nights at the Glacier Park Lodge, rented a car and had a great time exploring the park including driving the Going-to-the-Sun Road.

West to east seems to be the best direction...we arrived at GPK mid morning and departed same. The westbound #7 arrives in GPK at 6:45PM per the schedule so, you are losing daylight at that point. For our July stay, the longer days (sunset was well after 9 pm) were used to advantage during our visit.

However you do your visit, have a good time and enjoy.

Ralph, thank you for your help! I want to stay at East Glacier Park (at the lodge that's at the Amtrak stop). Thanks, also, for your detailed information about snow closures and crowd levels. So helpful to know that when I'm planning for the "perfect" time (knowing that anything can happen and it'll all still be good!).

John, what you did is exactly what I'm planning. Thank you for describing your visit - it sounds wonderful!

Journey

On my trip to Glacier Park, I left Portland Oregon & got off in West Glacier. Stayed at the Village Inn at Apgar, who had a van waiting at the depot to take me to the Inn which sits right on Lake McDonald (10 minute drive). Used the Red Bus service for a round trip tour to Many Glaciers & back. Then used the free Hiker Shuttles for 3 days to go back to my favorite points of interests that I discovered on the Red Bus Tour. Never needed to rent a car. The Hotel Van took me back to the Depot at the end of my stay. Check out this option, I loved it!!!!

Have Fun

PS the Village has a restaurant. ice cream parlor, country store, boat rentals, souvenir shops & beautiful views !!!

Rail Free, I'll check that out - I didn't realize other areas would be an option since I wouldn't have any transportation from the train stop. Thank you!

Whichever side you plan to stay make lodging reservation as soon as you can. Things definitely fill up.

If you like to hike, I'd definitely suggest the east side with a rental car. The east side of Glacier is more open (less forested) with better mountain views. The Many Glacier Valley and the Two Medicine Valley are great places for day hikes. With a rental car more lodging options are available as well.

Timing for scenary is better for eastbound than westbound.

If you are walking to the hotel, I sort of assume you are planning to stay at the Glacier Park Lodge in East Glacier. Walking to a hotel from West Glacier (Belton) is certainly possible but not as obvious.

If you are going westbound, the East Glacier stop is before you get into the real scenary. Eastbound, it is after the scenic section.

East Glacier is a full service, staffed station with checked baggage service, as is Whitefish. West Glacier (Belton) is an unstaffed stop.

You probably can't count on Going-To-The-Sun Road being open much before July.

Timing for scenary is better for eastbound than westbound.

If you are walking to the hotel, I sort of assume you are planning to stay at the Glacier Park Lodge in East Glacier. Walking to a hotel from West Glacier (Belton) is certainly possible but not as obvious.

If you are going westbound, the East Glacier stop is before you get into the real scenary. Eastbound, it is after the scenic section.

East Glacier is a full service, staffed station with checked baggage service, as is Whitefish. West Glacier (Belton) is an unstaffed stop.

You probably can't count on Going-To-The-Sun Road being open much before July.
Last year, the GTTS Road opened in mid/late June...just several weeks before our July visit. Last year, winter 16-17, produced a lot of snow in that region!

Arrive sometime after June 20 to have a good chance of driving all the way across the GTTS road over Logan Pass.

If you want a rental car, eastbound to Whitefish will work better IMO. My wife and I loved the Meadow Lake Resort in Columbia Falls.

Once westbound, we got off in Cut Bank MT (only people who got off). We rented an older car from the auto dealership for 24 hours.

This was on June 1 and we drove up from St. Mary to a gate near the top of Logan Pass. We've seen Glacier from both sides but never got to the top of the pass.

Two companies have auto Rentals in East Glacier. Dollar is one the other is Avis or Buget, can't recall exactly.

If your are going from Seattle east, I would suggest taking the EB to E. Glacier. The Glacier Lodge will pick you with one of their Red Jammers, no need to walk. The west side of the park is arguably more scenic - more dramatic. The west side is greener and a little gentler landscape. Get your rental at the neat general store in town, it was Avis when we were there about three years ago. Then see the park and wind up on the west side. You may have to do this on the highway if Logan Pass is still closed. Spend a night at the Belton Chalet. We liked it better than the Issac Walton and it is right on the tracks too (ask for a balcony room), Their restaurant is supposedly the best in the area. Return your rental to Whitefish. Avis had us leave the keys and their Kalispel office picked it up later. Then you get another EB ride east through the park to your destination.

If your are going from Seattle east, I would suggest taking the EB to E. Glacier. The Glacier Lodge will pick you with one of their Red Jammers, no need to walk. The west side of the park is arguably more scenic - more dramatic. The west side is greener and a little gentler landscape. Get your rental at the neat general store in town, it was Avis when we were there about three years ago. Then see the park and wind up on the west side. You may have to do this on the highway if Logan Pass is still closed. Spend a night at the Belton Chalet. We liked it better than the Issac Walton and it is right on the tracks too (ask for a balcony room), Their restaurant is supposedly the best in the area. Return your rental to Whitefish. Avis had us leave the keys and their Kalispel office picked it up later. Then you get another EB ride east through the park to your destination.
Actually, it was an ordinary van! (July 2017). Avis is still in the store in town...that's where we rented and returned an SUV (reservations encouraged). Avis will pick you up at the Glacier Park Lodge. We arrived from SEA and when done with our 5 day visit, continued on to Chicago.

Last May I took the eastbound #8 from SEA to ESM, great trip, on time.

Detrained at Essex (ESM) before 9am, and stayed at the very close-by Izaak Walton Inn (http://www.izaakwaltoninn.com/)

This is a railfan's utopian stay at Glacier NP, literally right outside the park boundary. The website has details. Train watching from the Inn's veranda or footbridge over the nearby tracks. I mixed a three-night stay there with trains and hiking on Glacier trails.

They have limited car rental there, which I'd reserve at the same time you make room reservations. You'll need a car to explore the area.

I stayed in a regular room. Basic but clean, comfortable, and affordable. You could also stay in a cabin --or caboose or locomotive re-purposed as upscale lodging. On-premise restaurant and bar surprisingly good.

I wanted to thank everyone again for your help, and to ask one more question.

After traveling from SEA to GPK and spending 3 days there, should I go on to Chicago, or return to SEA, or something else?

I have no compelling reason to go to CHI - other than to say I traveled the Empire Builder from start to finish, which suits my "dotting i's and crossing t's" personality.

What do you think?

Journeys

Oh, and how many posts must I post before I'm out of training?
default_mosking.gif

I wanted to thank everyone again for your help, and to ask one more question.

After traveling from SEA to GPK and spending 3 days there, should I go on to Chicago, or return to SEA, or something else?

I have no compelling reason to go to CHI - other than to say I traveled the Empire Builder from start to finish, which suits my "dotting i's and crossing t's" personality.

What do you think?

Journeys
That's what we did...the long way home via Chicago so we could take the California Zephyr back! Our entire trip last July was LAX to SEA; SEA to GPK; GPK to CHI; CHI to EMY; EMY to LAX.

Back