Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Law And Order - SVU Episode 1911

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GBNorman

GBNorman

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

I have watched this show now for years, and especially enjoy that, while clearly labeled as fiction, their "ripped from the headlines" storylines are reasonably accurate.

Now comes Episode 1911; the storyline is a female First Officer locks the Captain out of the Flight Deck while she proceeds to hijack the aircraft and return it to JFK in New York, where she will seek to have the Captain arrested for sexual harassment.

Watch it on On-Demand to see "the rest of the story".

But what the writers overlooked is that the FAA now requires two persons to be on the Flight Deck at all times. This means that if one Officer need take a "potty break", an Attendant will be required to be that second person on the Deck.

The storyline overlooks that little fact of life.

Edited by GBNorman, 18 January 2018 - 07:11 PM.

#2 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,380 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:42 AM

Well, actually...from what I've seen, it's quite common for the FA to physically block access to the cockpit (and the bathroom in question) but not actually take a seat up there while the pilot (or first officer) uses the restroom.  For example, on Virgin America I commonly saw the First Class FA doing this.  I think this probably comes down to a rather odd legal interpretation of what constitutes the "flight deck" (not to mention the hassle of having the FA switch into the FO's seat and then re-swapping).

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#3 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

Well, actually...from what I've seen, it's quite common for the FA to physically block access to the cockpit (and the bathroom in question) but not actually take a seat up there while the pilot (or first officer) uses the restroom.  For example, on Virgin America I commonly saw the First Class FA doing this.  I think this probably comes down to a rather odd legal interpretation of what constitutes the "flight deck" (not to mention the hassle of having the FA switch into the FO's seat and then re-swapping).

From my observations, it's actually both.  A pilot taking a restroom break requires two FAs.  One will go into the cockpit, the other will block passengers from entering the forward galley area.

Posted Image

#4 B757Guy

B757Guy

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:30 AM

Typical example of Hollywood getting it wrong. 

I'm an airline pilot with a major US based carrier, and avid lover of trains since the very early days of Amtrak. I fondly recall GG1's zipping along the NEC, and sleeping in a slumbercoach on the Montrealer as a kid. I miss the old heritage cars, the GG1 and the original Budd Metroliners. The new equipment today simply doesn't have the same personality and elegance...

#5 XHRTSP

XHRTSP

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:21 PM

Very easily could have had an FA coconspirator who was also a victim of the captain.

#6 XHRTSP

XHRTSP

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:22 PM

Not that Hollywood is accurate on most things, but to clarify Law and Order is a NYC institution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users