First Phase of Parking Construction at RVR Completed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is really good news. I have had the pleasure of visiting Virginia multiple times in the last 10 years and was always picked up by my buddy at RVR. Every single time the parking lot was jammed with drivers waiting on passengers and some times not able to even enter the lot and very frustrating for my friend. Having said that, I really liked departing from that station. You can sit outside the station trackside and foam over the freight trains as they pass, enjoy a little section for smokers(if you are) and a pretty reasonably priced little snack shop in the lobby and very good staff. RVR is ranked very high on my list of personally visited Amtrak stations.

Ive been in Richmond the past couple days and returning home now on Train 89. It is a big improvement in parking and friends picking me up remarked how easy it now was. A fringe benefit - its an easy walk diagonally across the new lot to the McDonalds - it was warmer than the station on this 11degree morning. The snack shop in the station is ok but Mickey D is cheaper and some things are better. The outside station seating area is a real plus. The station itself is one of the early AmShacks. It serves the purpose but nothing like the old Broad st or Main St. stations.

When driving through Richmond I saw the two NS excecutive cars (Clayton Lake and Virginia) that brought the new Governor to Main St station for his inaugural ball. They were parked near the old Southern office in downtown Richmond that is now a Southern Railway Tap House. My rides on 89/90 were uneventful and on time. The consist is now AM1 coach, 3 AmII coaches, cafe, BC AmI, Baggage. Only two coaches (both AmII) and the BC and cafe were in service south of Richmond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been in Richmond the past couple days and returning home now on Train 89. It is a big improvement in parking and friends picking me up remarked how easy it now was. A fringe benefit - its an easy walk diagonally across the new lot to the McDonalds - it was warmer than the station on this 11degree morning. The snack shop in the station is ok but Mickey D is cheaper and some things are better. The outside station seating area is a real plus. The station itself is one of the early AmShacks. It serves the purpose but nothing like the old Broad st or Main St. stations.

When driving through Richmond I saw the two NS excecutive cars (Clayton Lake and Virginia) that brought the new Governor to Main St station for his inaugural ball. They were parked near the old Southern office in downtown Richmond that is now a Southern Railway Tap House. My rides on 89/90 were uneventful and on time. The consist is now AM1 coach, 3 AmII coaches, cafe, BC AmI, Baggage. Only two coaches (both AmII) and the BC and cafe were in service south of Richmond.
Access to Micky D's too? It just gets better!

Excellent news. I wonder if some riders will shift from the 6 am NB departure (M-F) to a later train, now that they don't have to worry about getting a parking place.

Back