Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Newport News, VA

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,385 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:10 PM

Despite having lived in the 7 cities for longer than I ever thought, and still traveling there frequently for "pleasure" (the in-laws are actually fun, and I'm not just saying that because my father-in-law reads the board), I've never actually been into the station at NPN.

What's the rental car situation like? The rocket surgeons at work booked me with Enterprise up on J. Clyde, but looking at a map it seems like there are several closer options. These are the same geniuses that booked my outbound train a day late (despite booking my rental car for pickup on Wednesday and a hotel for me Wednesday night, I'm on Thursday morning's 67).

Is it a dreadful place to wait, or is there some decent train watching to be had? I may end up with some time to kill before 66 leaves, and I can find plenty to occupy me elsewhere if there's not anything worthwhile at the station.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#2 blueman271

blueman271

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Traveling and the Miami Dolphins

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:23 PM

The closest car rental agency is probably the Avis/Budget on Mercury Blvd. It’s five minutes away and would only cost a few dollars for an Uber.
Pride Runs Deep

#3 VAtrainfan

VAtrainfan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Travel (by air or rail or highway), roller coasters

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:21 PM

NPN is right at the entrance to a CSX yard, so you might see some coal trains arriving.

#4 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:16 AM

(1) Are you on 67 or 95?

(2) Living about two miles from the station (I can, in theory, walk), there's not a lot beyond an occasional train coming or going.  Down in the coal yards, however, I've seen a few 1950s-vintage locos doing switcher duty in the past.
(3) The station itself is pretty non-descript.  I think my favorite part is the fact that despite all of this, they assigned the name "Lafayette Square" to said station...which in the area makes it sound like it's some old town square, perhaps in a shopping district or something else CW-ish.  It's not.  It's just the parking lot.

Edit: If you're inbound, it's train 66, not 67.

Edited by Anderson, 17 January 2018 - 04:27 AM.

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#5 AKA

AKA

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:17 AM

If you are leaving from NPN and need to park get there early. Parking lot is small and very busy near train time.

#6 blueman271

blueman271

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:52 PM

Didn’t want to start a new topic so I’ll ask this here. Has anyone ever parked overnight at the Norfolk station? I looked online and saw that there was long term parking in a section of the Harbor Park parking lot. Do I need to get a decal or something from the station indicating that my car is there for long term parking? Or do I just park and go?
Pride Runs Deep

#7 VAtrainfan

VAtrainfan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Travel (by air or rail or highway), roller coasters

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:51 PM

Didn’t want to start a new topic so I’ll ask this here. Has anyone ever parked overnight at the Norfolk station? I looked online and saw that there was long term parking in a section of the Harbor Park parking lot. Do I need to get a decal or something from the station indicating that my car is there for long term parking? Or do I just park and go?

Just park and go. I've left my Jeep there for as much as 5 days. Never had any problem. Even my E-ZPass remained unmolested :) Just make sure you park within the cordoned-off area designated as Amtrak parking and not in the baseball parking area. It's obvious, even in the dark.

Edited by VAtrainfan, 25 April 2018 - 09:52 PM.

• blueman271 likes this

#8 blueman271

blueman271

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

Just park and go. I've left my Jeep there for as much as 5 days. Never had any problem. Even my E-ZPass remained unmolested :) Just make sure you park within the cordoned-off area designated as Amtrak parking and not in the baseball parking area. It's obvious, even in the dark.

Thanks.
Pride Runs Deep

#9 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:08 PM

Edit: If you're inbound, it's train 66, not 67.

No, 67 is the southbound train that arrives Newport News, while 66 is the northbound that leaves from there.

Edited by brianpmcdonnell17, 06 May 2018 - 04:10 PM.

Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS MIA-NYP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users