Married couple killed as Amtrak train hits SUV in N.C. 1/14/18

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirdrail7

Engineer
This is bad news. Ultimately, it will impact 89(14), 79(14), 90(14), 90(15) with delays possible to 53(14- which is approaching the area) and 80(15).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/married-couple-killed-amtrak-suv-collision-whitakers-north-carolina/

WHITAKERS, N.C. -- Authorities say two people are dead after their vehicle tried to cross railroad tracks ahead of an oncoming Amtrak train in rural North Carolina. Multiple media organizations, including CBS affiliate WNCN-TV, report a couple who appeared to be in their 60s, was killed Sunday afternoon.

The incident took place near Whitakers, about 70 miles east of Raleigh, the state capital.

WNCN-TV cited authorities as saying the deceased were identified as a married couple Eugene and Dorothy Lyons.Amtrak spokeswoman Kimberly Woods says no one about the southbound train was injured and service was suspended as law enforcement investigated the crash.

Whitakers Police Chief Chris Wagstaff told WNCN-TV that police are not sure why the woman who was driving went through the crossing arm, but Wagstaff said a witness confirmed it.

The Amtrak train only hit the SUV because the SUV got in the way of the Amtrak train! It did not go down the street looking for an SUV to hit!
default_wacko.png

A typical Amtrak train is much denser and thicker than a brick wall, is often traveling much faster than typical surface street traffic, and is impacting your vehicle at a much weaker contact point. Compared to being hit by an Amtrak train a brick wall would seem to be far safer.

While I agree with your overall point, do you really think a passenger train is denser than a brick wall? I mean considering a good deal of it is hollow.

Assuming the locomotive is the part impacting the vehicle then yes, absolutely, I believe it is much denser than a typical brick wall. Not only is the baked brick less dense and more brittle, it generally has large gaping holes in the middle. You can break down a brick wall with a single hand hammer or a wooden bat or even a swift kick with a stiff boot. Strike the front or rear of an Amtrak locomotive with any of those instruments and chances are you'll get nothing more than a superficial scratch at most. Even in the case of an Amtrak passenger car the truck assembly is plenty dense enough to smash up most personal vehicles when traveling at speed. Now, if the vehicle is traveling up a high level ramp in order to ram the side of an Amtrak passenger car then I suppose the tables might be turned, but that seems like a rather uncommon event compared to the number of vehicles that get caught on the tracks in front of a train.

Last edited by a moderator:
A typical Amtrak train is much denser and thicker than a brick wall, is often traveling much faster than typical surface street traffic, and is impacting your vehicle at a much weaker contact point. Compared to being hit by an Amtrak train a brick wall would seem to be far safer.
True, but the brick wall analogy was the first thing I could think of.
default_smile.png

90(15) definitely took a hit. When it comes to drivers operating around gates, the only thing I can think of is people are assuming it is a long, slow moving freight train approaching. That doesn't mean it is a good idea to go around the gates but people are so impatient, they'll risk their life to avoid the delay. The area where this occurred was in the proximity of a yard. That probably led to additional impatience.

It is not worth it.

90(15) definitely took a hit. When it comes to drivers operating around gates, the only thing I can think of is people are assuming it is a long, slow moving freight train approaching. That doesn't mean it is a good idea to go around the gates but people are so impatient, they'll risk their life to avoid the delay. The area where this occurred was in the proximity of a yard. That probably led to additional impatience.

It is not worth it.
Nope it is definitely not worth it.

While I agree with your overall point, do you really think a passenger train is denser than a brick wall? I mean considering a good deal of it is hollow.

Assuming the locomotive is the part impacting the vehicle then yes, absolutely, I believe it is much denser than a typical brick wall.
Because this seemed like the kind of question that the Internet could answer, I went and found some numbers.

A P42 is 270 cubic meters (21x3x4.3) and 121,000 kgs, giving it a density of about 450 kg/m3.

The concrete society says "Aircrete blocks have a density in the range 400 – 900 kg/m3. Concrete bricks have a density in the range 1900 – 2100 kg/m3 for Commons, Facing and Engineering Quality and 1400 kg/m3 for lightweight bricks."

I declare GML the winner and award you One Gold Star.

Assuming the locomotive is the part impacting the vehicle then yes, absolutely, I believe it is much denser than a typical brick wall.
Because this seemed like the kind of question that the Internet could answer, I went and found some numbers.

A P42 is 270 cubic meters (21x3x4.3) and 121,000 kgs, giving it a density of about 450 kg/m3.

The concrete society says "Aircrete blocks have a density in the range 400 – 900 kg/m3. Concrete bricks have a density in the range 1900 – 2100 kg/m3 for Commons, Facing and Engineering Quality and 1400 kg/m3 for lightweight bricks."

I declare GML the winner and award you One Gold Star.

Here's the consolation prize:

1e0d85a3cd83b1f272149397ce523219--white-elephant-gift-elephant-gifts.jpg

Because this seemed like the kind of question that the Internet could answer, I went and found some numbers. A P42 is 270 cubic meters (21x3x4.3) and 121,000 kgs, giving it a density of about 450 kg/m3. The concrete society says "Aircrete blocks have a density in the range 400 – 900 kg/m3. Concrete bricks have a density in the range 1900 – 2100 kg/m3 for Commons, Facing and Engineering Quality and 1400 kg/m3 for lightweight bricks." I declare GML the winner and award you One Gold Star.
You seem to be comparing the entirety of a large locomotive, including the cavernous empty spaces, with a single solid block of concrete. How does that accurately represent a series of hollow clay blocks stacked and held in place with mortar and friction? It seems to me that it would make more sense to compare the density of fired clay to that of hardened steel. Or to compare the relative strength of a conventional P42 with a copycat P42 made out of fired clay. Or maybe just run a locomotive into a cement wall and see who wins.
default_laugh.png

locovscement2.jpg

Personally I think the highly regulated treatment of free flowing discussion to be the cause for derailing this entire site.

The Amtrak train only hit the SUV because the SUV got in the way of the Amtrak train! It did not go down the street looking for an SUV to hit!
default_wacko.png
No one is disputing that...
You are so wrong! That was not the case. The Amtrak train RAMMED into the SUV [my emphasis]. See this and article from NY Daily News:

http://bestsellermagazine.com/news/Two-killed-after-Amtrak-train-rams-into-their-car-in-North-Carolina

Stupid "reporters".

I think the two most disturbing train incident videos I've seen (so far) are:

1. Operation Lifesaver: Paths of Thunder 2: In this video, the first segment shows a mom and her two kids in a vehicle that has gotten stuck at a railroad crossing. The oncoming freight train hits the occupied vehicle, killing all three instantly.

2. That video that shows the Amtrak Wolverine incident in 2009 where five teenagers were killed. The one with the cab POV.

default_wacko.png
No one is disputing that...
You are so wrong! That was not the case. The Amtrak train RAMMED into the SUV [my emphasis]. See this and article from NY Daily News:

http://bestsellermagazine.com/news/Two-killed-after-Amtrak-train-rams-into-their-car-in-North-Carolina

Stupid "reporters".

Well, while they did say the Amtrak train "rammed" the car (which is technically true), they didn't say the train was at fault.

I think the two most disturbing train incident videos I've seen (so far) are:

1. Operation Lifesaver: Paths of Thunder 2: In this video, the first segment shows a mom and her two kids in a vehicle that has gotten stuck at a railroad crossing. The oncoming freight train hits the occupied vehicle, killing all three instantly.

2. That video that shows the Amtrak Wolverine incident in 2009 where five teenagers were killed. The one with the cab POV.
I think a lot of the freight POV collisions are troubling . 188's head end video is also online as is 20's near collision at RIO. Although there were no injuries at RIO, it could have been a disaster and my heart was in my throat.

default_wacko.png
This is my beef as well when it's reported that Amtrak train "hits" a car, truck or pedestrian. The article should have said "SUV passing though railroad grade crossing illegally met with a tragic end. Not to take away from the tragic loss of life, but had the driver waited for only a minute or two and not broken the law, it could have been avoided . Now, if anyone's vehicle stalls on the tracks, they need to get out immediately and call for help. Another thing that I run into is backed up traffic over the railroad tracks waiting for a light to change.

Back