Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak live map still available?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Shortline

Shortline

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:57 PM

Waiting on 20 to arrive BHM. New station still isn't open, current one is pretty depressing, and the agents (who simply put a "no check in required take a seat and wait sign" in the window and are hiding out on a bench in the entryway area are about as pleasant as a cornered rattlesnake. Train is looking to be an hour late, and updates keep pushing it later so wandered down to the Piziz Food Hall, - trendy upscale food court that caters to the wealthy business travelers and office workers downtown, figured if I was going to wait may as well be with an artisanal cheese board and a craft beer.

Anyway, tried going on to the Amtrak site to watch the progress of the train to get back in time but can't find it-is that live track a train thing still on there?

Broadway Limited, Ann Rutledge, Misouri Mule, Misouri River Runner, San Diegan, Surfliner, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited, Crescent, Texas Eagle, Blue Water, Wolverine, Pennsylvanian, 3 Rivers, Hiawatha, Heartland Flyer, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Downeaster, City of New Orleans, City of New Orleans via Pullan Rail Journeys.

#2 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:04 PM

Here's a list of resources:  List

jb

LDS Been On:

Old: Phoebe Snow (EL), Montrealer (AT), Laurentian (D&H)

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

#3 RalphCT

RalphCT

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:34 PM

I use this site:

https://asm.transitdocs.com

A Montanan who enjoys train travel.

#4 RPC

RPC

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:07 PM

It's still there. On the main page of the Amtrak Web site scroll down until you see "Track Your Train."

#5 Shortline

Shortline

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:13 PM

Thanks all/

Broadway Limited, Ann Rutledge, Misouri Mule, Misouri River Runner, San Diegan, Surfliner, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited, Crescent, Texas Eagle, Blue Water, Wolverine, Pennsylvanian, 3 Rivers, Hiawatha, Heartland Flyer, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Downeaster, City of New Orleans, City of New Orleans via Pullan Rail Journeys.

#6 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:14 PM

Track Your Train isn't 'live'.

The amount of time between updates varies.

Edited by KmH, 12 January 2018 - 04:15 PM.

1963 U. S. Congress - underground trolley system Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) Old Tucson steam train (1969)
Amtrak - California Zephyr Coast Starlight  Southwest Chief Sunset Limited Texas Eagle  Illinois Zephyr
. . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far. 7,320 more miles booked OTM - OKJ - EMY - OTM March 2018.

#7 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,729 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

Yet another completely meaningless distinction. Every train I looked at on the map is within 2-3 minutes, save the 5 and 6 in Colorado that haven't checked in in a whopping 15 minutes.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#8 Shortline

Shortline

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:18 PM

It's live enough for my purposes. Frankly, with the security risk of advertising where trains are and how fast they're traveling at any given moment, I'm surprised they share it at all.

#9 Charles785

Charles785

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:37 PM

Regarding the first comment in this thread about the agents in Birmingham, I, myself, have always wondered why is it among some Amtrak station agents, and some dining car personnel, that they just don't seem to have the right attitude and people skills for customer service work.  They seem very mis-cast for their occupations.

Is it because of the labor unions Amtrak has to deal with that employees with attitudes can't be fired? 

In the case of my travels on the long distance trains it has been very unusual that during my trips I haven't come across at least one employee who doesn't exhibit any of the human relations skills and empathy that would normally be expected of workers serving customers. Why aren't those folks immediately relieved of their duties? 

And if it IS the unions protecting the workers with bad attitudes, what would it take for Amtrak to eliminate the labor unions?  I don't see that a productive and proficient employee with a whiz-bang sales personality needs a union anyway.  Thoughts?

#10 xyzzy

xyzzy

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

Frankly, with the security risk of advertising where trains are and how fast they're traveling at any given moment, I'm surprised they share it at all.

Trains run in open daylight. Sabotage took place long before the Internet became ubiquitous, and any group of terrorists who wants to engage in that kind of thing doesn't have to depend on a website to tell them where trains are. Note that airliners are trackable in near real-time on many websites. 

#11 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:21 AM

Unions don't create bad attitudes, it is usually a failure to create a proper work environment. Southwest Airlines is one of the most unionized airlines, it has good customer service. Other similar airlines  don't. Companies need to have properly trained field supervision and middle management, who know how to deal with issues. Creating an adversarial attitude doesn't work with or without a CBA. Senior management also has to support the efforts, otherwise why would anyone at any level care? If their are no repercussions for poor performance by the people above me, exactly why should anyone give a damn. The culture of the US contributes to the problem, we have a very low percentage of unionization compared to most of the rest of the industrialized world, but they don't generally have as serious a customer service problem.

#12 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

Regarding the first comment in this thread about the agents in Birmingham, I, myself, have always wondered why is it among some Amtrak station agents, and some dining car personnel, that they just don't seem to have the right attitude and people skills for customer service work.  They seem very mis-cast for their occupations.

Is it because of the labor unions Amtrak has to deal with that employees with attitudes can't be fired? 

In the case of my travels on the long distance trains it has been very unusual that during my trips I haven't come across at least one employee who doesn't exhibit any of the human relations skills and empathy that would normally be expected of workers serving customers. Why aren't those folks immediately relieved of their duties? 

And if it IS the unions protecting the workers with bad attitudes, what would it take for Amtrak to eliminate the labor unions?  I don't see that a productive and proficient employee with a whiz-bang sales personality needs a union anyway.  Thoughts?

My thoughts are that out of 5 whole posts, two of them get straight into Union Bashing, and the other three are hardly supportive of Amtrak. Thoughts ?

Ed.

#13 Shortline

Shortline

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:07 PM

Frankly, with the security risk of advertising where trains are and how fast they're traveling at any given moment, I'm surprised they share it at all.

Trains run in open daylight. Sabotage took place long before the Internet became ubiquitous, and any group of terrorists who wants to engage in that kind of thing doesn't have to depend on a website to tell them where trains are. Note that airliners are trackable in near real-time on many websites. 

True-However, having served for quite a few years in, and been fairly well trained in security, anti-terrorism, and rail security, I can think of quite a few ways this information would be extremely beneficial for someone with bad intentions, While you're correct, in that there are so many other ways to get this same info, or much of it anyway, it would add a layer of difficulty. In any event, I'm not advocating it go away, just surprised it's there at all. 

#14 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:20 PM

People rarely want to take responsibility for whatever is not right. Fix blame before fixing problems. That is across the board not at one level of a company, it is both a worker and a management problem. You can create a toxic environment in a workplace, regardless of whether or not it is unionized. Look at many of the large retailers. But good managers can thrive in an environment where fear and intimidation are not part of their toolkit, and actually knowing how to manage is. Amtrak fits right into the same mold as many other companies, unionization is the first excuse of weak or poor management, managers don't sit around in a meeting about a problem and say that they are the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users