Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

changes at NJT--any thoughts or background info?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:20 PM

What else would it stand for?

82-Lead-Tile.png

Edited by Ryan, 27 January 2018 - 11:21 PM.

Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#22 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,570 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:07 AM

What else would it stand for?

Attached File  IMG_1517137627.678714.jpg   11.48KB   28 downloads

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#23 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:46 PM

Thanks, jis. I'm sure your answer is correct, but I like AmtrakBlue's better! :)

And now for an update: New Jersey's Governor Murphy (still sounds odd saying that!) has nominated Kevin S. Corbett to be the executive director of NJT. He seems to have transportation and infrastructure experience. However, he is a graduate of Georgetown University and was a fellow at Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, which is a more intellectual choice than i expected.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Or anyone know of him? (I checked Wikipedia, but he's not there.) I think it's an interesting change and am looking forward to seeing what happens.

#24 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,144 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:02 AM

Ill call my lawyer; Ill know all the bad things about him this evening.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#25 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,144 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

Hes a capital guy with no transit management experience (bad). He is also a former commuter (good).
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Posted Image

#26 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:02 PM

Big news from Thursday: http://nj1015.com/he...aul-nj-transit/ I think it's good news. What are your thoughts?

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

#27 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:02 PM

When I see comments like this:

The changes would also create two new passenger advisory committees, one for North Jersey and one for South Jersey. Assemblyman Greg McGuckin, R-Ocean, said the bill should ensure the committees are not stacked with people from a handful of counties.

“That’s always been a concern of mine, representing my district, the Shore area and our limited access to public transportation. It seems to me each county should have a representative,” McGuckin said.

I think there's going to be trouble. I also believe  this is the kind of statement that will lead to more patronage, competing visions and a lack of focus. These issues are not just a NJT problem. It is an industry problem.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#28 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,144 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:56 AM

I dont like it either; I bet the reps wont be representative of riders imterests, either. This is why I gave up on this stuff.
Posted Image

#29 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

They have carefully avoided doing the right thing, which is to hive it off as an arm length from the halls of power, semi-private corporation with an independent Board of Directors. Afterall the NJ Legislature does not want to actually have anything work while removing their own patronage engine. It is mostly NJ style BS at present IMHO. Possibly just my exceedingly pessimistic opinion though, based on my exceedingly low opinion of the NJ legislature. Christie is at present a convenient scapegoat while the legislature scrambles to figure out ways to appear as if they are doing something while preserving all of their privileges. Afterall they are the ones that created this mess over the last three decades, with occasional help from particularly stupid Governors.

#30 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:12 PM

New Jersey Transit’s Hidden Danger: Bad Brakes, Bare Wires, Rotten Partshttps://www.bloomber...es-rotten-parts

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#31 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

Thank you, jis. That is the article I was trying to post in another thread but couldn't get the link to work.

#32 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:25 PM

Governor Murphy just announced he is tripling spending on NJT and infrastructure.

New taxes to pay for it, but seems to be (except for a bit more in sales tax) taxes on stuff like ride shares, home share sites, and legal marijuana--not taxes on essentials for most people. Plus a millionaire's tax.

He'll probably get a fight, but we'll see what happens.

If anyone can link to a news article on this, that would be great--I'm not having much luck linking to things lately.

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 13 March 2018 - 02:32 PM.

#33 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,587 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:10 PM

Tax increases are are usually a sure way to end ones Political Career!😉

No-one wants to pay for Government services but they sure want them!😥

There is No Free Lunch!🤔
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#34 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:57 PM

If anyone can link to a news article on this, that would be great--I'm not having much luck linking to things lately.

Murphy proposes $242M more for NJ Transit. Will it avoid a fare hike?

By Larry Higgs

lhiggs@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Gov. Phil Murphy's proposed $37.4 billion state budget plows $242 million more into NJ Transit, but advocates said it was unclear if it would avoid a possible fare increase.

Added funding for the agency's operations would be in addition to $141 million allocated in the fiscal year 2018 budget for a total of $383 million for NJ Transit operations in fiscal year 2019, according to budget documents released Tuesday.

Murphy, a Democrat, announced the funding infusion during his first budget address Tuesday. In it, he echoed earlier pledges to tear down and rebuild the agency he once called a national disgrace."

"To help residents get to school or work, we will restore the funding that New Jersey Transit needs to once again be a reliable and respected service," Murphy said. "This budget will nearly triple funding to NJ Transit, an additional $242 million investment to get the agency back on its feet."

This is a far cry from the budgets of the mid 2000s but it is a start.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users