Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

superliner family bedroom

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:50 PM

My wife and I and 3 and 5 year old are considering taking the Empire Builder from Red Wing, MN to Whitefish, MT in a family bedroom in February. For meals, do the kids get to only choose from the kids menu or can they order off the regular menu as well?

Also, I understand when you book a sleeper you have to pay the base fare plus the room charge. It's too bad they don't let you book a 20% off saver fare and then add the room charge as this would be cheaper. Is there anyway to get around this? I guess they figure if you can afford a sleeper the difference in saver fare vs. base fare won't matter. We are NARP members so I understand that does discount the base fare 10%. Thanks for everyone's help!

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,744 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:10 PM

Kids can order anything on the menu.

The price is the price.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#3 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:32 AM

When booking a sleeper, the rail fare is the lowest bucket Value fare.

Coach passengers booking the same day you do may be paying a higher bucket Value fare.

Yep. There are no discounts that apply to Saver fares and Saver fares are lower than a low bucket Value fare with the 15% discount Amtrak formally gave to Seniors and others.

Edited by KmH, 12 January 2018 - 10:49 AM.

1963 U. S. Congress - underground trolley system Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) Old Tucson steam train (1969)
Amtrak - California Zephyr Coast Starlight  Southwest Chief Sunset Limited Texas Eagle  Illinois Zephyr
. . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far. 7,320 more miles booked OTM - OKJ - EMY - OTM March 2018.

#4 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

The kids can order anything on the menu. The rail fare is the lowest and like said above may be lower than what a Coach passenger is paying at the same time you book.

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted Yesterday, 04:52 PM

Thank you to everyone for your advice!

As for booking the family bedroom on train 27/28 vs. 7/28, I know they are both the same train and the 27/28 sleeper is on the back and a longer walk to the diner. Being a railfan I also like to be in the back car for the railfan window. Any big negatives to booking the Portland sleeper that anyone can think of?

#6 Maglev

Maglev

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted Yesterday, 05:05 PM

I would say to go with whichever f

Thank you to everyone for your advice!

As for booking the family bedroom on train 27/28 vs. 7/28, I know they are both the same train and the 27/28 sleeper is on the back and a longer walk to the diner. Being a railfan I also like to be in the back car for the railfan window. Any big negatives to booking the Portland sleeper that anyone can think of?

I would say to go with whichever room is less expensive.  When I rode to Portland last January, the railfan window was too dirty to see through.

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#7 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:43 PM

I agree, go with the least expensive, unless you do not like walking through the Coach cars.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users