Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

If Amtrak were to remove 1 onboard amenity from LD trains, which one?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,265 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:06 AM

The SCA.

No.

Most of us know how to make the beds and put them back, but I can't imagine putting this on the average, every day passengers. You'd also have to trust people to put the bedding away properly and clean their room before departing so those boarding can use the room. And who is going to clean the bathrooms and shower room?

Even with an SCA, other passengers often ask me to help them with various things in their room. On my last trip, the lady across the hall constantly knocked on my door or opened my curtain to ask me to help her with things, answer questions, etc. When I told her the SCA could assist her, she complained that the SCA wasn't answering the call button quickly enough.

At one point, she honest to god asked me for a wake up call. (Hahahahahaha, no.)

Edited by SarahZ, 12 January 2018 - 12:07 AM.

Amtrak Miles: 43,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#22 anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:10 AM

Pretty slim pickings in the amenities dept. to begin with. Get rid of. SCA,no,the worst is 10x better than none at all. Coffee, hell no! Clean rest rooms, don't think so.

Edited by anumberone, 12 January 2018 - 04:11 AM.

#23 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,142 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:19 AM

Is a clean restroom an amenity?
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#24 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

Really can't say I'd want to see a clean restroom removed, if it is. 

Seriously though, if anything we need to be advocating for not fewer but greater and improved amenities aboard Amtrak, which can support increased patronage, (appropriately) higher fares, and thus greater revenue.  

#25 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:56 PM

Really can't say I'd want to see a clean restroom removed, if it is. 

Seriously though, if anything we need to be advocating for not fewer but greater and improved amenities aboard Amtrak, which can support increased patronage, (appropriately) higher fares, and thus greater revenue.  

This.

Amtrak Miles Traveled: 85410--City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, Cascades, Crescent, Capital Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited,  Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal, Vermonter, Northeast Regional, Downeaster.

Pre-Amtrak Miles Traveled:8478-- North Coast Limited, Panama Limited, Empire Builder, Abraham Lincoln, City of Hinkle

#26 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:32 AM

I doubt the original OP was advocating eliminating amenities. If the OP was doing so he/she might be thinking like me, trying to cut something that might not seem like a big deal in order to save something that is a big deal. Maybe he/she wants to save this amenity so he/she wants to try to eliminate the more useless ones. Or maybe saving money could allow the money to be used on other things like adding routes. Would you cut a certain amenity to bring back the Broadway for example? 

Most AU members don't have any concept of a budget. They feel just ask Congress for money until the cows come home. How's that working for you? Maybe if Amtrak is more frugal with its money we can afford the more important stuff  (cough... Broadway) instead of wasting money on stuff "we don't need".

Edited by Philly Amtrak Fan, 13 January 2018 - 10:32 AM.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#27 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

I doubt the original OP was advocating eliminating amenities. If the OP was doing so he/she might be thinking like me, trying to cut something that might not seem like a big deal in order to save something that is a big deal. Maybe he/she wants to save this amenity so he/she wants to try to eliminate the more useless ones. Or maybe saving money could allow the money to be used on other things like adding routes. Would you cut a certain amenity to bring back the Broadway for example? 

Most AU members don't have any concept of a budget. They feel just ask Congress for money until the cows come home. How's that working for you? Maybe if Amtrak is more frugal with its money we can afford the more important stuff  (cough... Broadway) instead of wasting money on stuff "we don't need".

More frugal?  Are you serious?  Amtrak has been on a starvation budget since sometime around May 1, 1971; It's hard to be more frugal than starving.  That's not to say there aren't excesses; The railroad is perennially top heavy with management, and merely being a political animal tends to drive up costs and complexity (but 'public transportation' exists for valid reasons).  Nevertheless, Amtrak has long been forced into frugality.  There is little to no fat (or even 'meat') to cut; The network and frequencies are already skeletal - and yet you propose cutting some vital bones (and still expect the skeleton to remain standing)?

How is asking Congress for more money "until the cows come home" working out?  Nobody knows - it's never been done.  Even passenger rail advocates timidly suggest that Amtrak be another Lazarus, and just be fed with the scraps which fall from the rich man's (Congress') table.  Even politicians who ostensibly support Amtrak argue against asking for too much money (though some are likely showing their true colors with such an unworkable approach).  

Being frugal is generally a positive strategy, but again, there are limits.  Amtrak would actually benefit from some 'excesses', like checked baggage, reasonable price & quality of food service, and expected perks to premium service (sleeper or business) travel.  But all of those are things which Amtrak has instead cut in the name of saving pennies (while dollars fly over their heads...).  

#28 Shortline

Shortline

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

Relax, my SCA comment was tongue in cheek. Of course they need them, it would be pandemonium on board without them. I know, I've seen it. (I assume there was an SCA somewhere on the train, but damn sure wasn't in the car....)

And as to the coffee and juice-Do they still do juice? My last trip didn't have any, and didn't have any in either sleeper coming up to DC from Birmingham last night. I guess I'll see what they have on the Capitol, and Southwest Chief over the next few days.

Broadway Limited, Ann Rutledge, Misouri Mule, Misouri River Runner, San Diegan, Surfliner, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited, Crescent, Texas Eagle, Blue Water, Wolverine, Pennsylvanian, 3 Rivers, Hiawatha, Heartland Flyer, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Downeaster, City of New Orleans, City of New Orleans via Pullan Rail Journeys.

#29 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,826 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

They still have the "Worst OJ Money can buy" in the Sleepers depending on the SCA.
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#30 George K

George K

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:28 PM

They still have the "Worst OJ Money can buy" in the Sleepers depending on if the SCA decides to buy some.

FIFYNNTTM

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI; 9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI; 3/15 CONO - Round trip; 9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI; 11/15 CONO - Round trip; 5/16 EB - Round trip; 12/16 CONO -  Round Trip; 5/17 EB - Round trip; 10/17 CONO - Round trip

#31 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,142 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

Relax, my SCA comment was tongue in cheek. Of course they need them, it would be pandemonium on board without them. I know, I've seen it. (I assume there was an SCA somewhere on the train, but damn sure wasn't in the car....)

And as to the coffee and juice-Do they still do juice? My last trip didn't have any, and didn't have any in either sleeper coming up to DC from Birmingham last night. I guess I'll see what they have on the Capitol, and Southwest Chief over the next few days.

Theyve never had juice. They had this orangish flavorish liquid barely adeqiate for a fourthrate bottom shelf screwdriver.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#32 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:55 AM

I don't think there are any working personal temperature controls. 99% sure those thermostats in the Viewliners are just for looks.

Viewliner thermostats work, I can testify to that.  I like 'em a lot and I've used 'em a lot (I like my room hot).

Superliner thermostats don't work; never had one work.  I suppose they're all broken, or just a poorer design.

As for "removing one amenity", I'd remove the "amenity" for the staff of closing the cafe and dining cars early so that they don't have to clean up and count stock while the train is in the station.  This strange procedure is unique to Amtrak and is widely perceived as a customer disservice.  If it requires rehiring the missing staff at the station who used to do this stuff... then it requires that.

Edited by neroden, 14 January 2018 - 01:01 AM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#33 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

I believe that the temp control in the VL sleepers regulates the supplemental electric strip heating, not the overhead airflow temp. It has worked in any cars I've ridden. Agree about the SL ones, not sure what they are supposed to do since I've never had one that seemed to make a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users