Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Coast Starlight Annulment (due to mudslidesJan 2018)?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Ronbo

Ronbo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

Attached File  IMG_1238.JPG   285.06KB   22 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1230.JPG   370.8KB   28 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1231.JPG   371.95KB   23 downloads

Edited by Ronbo, 11 January 2018 - 01:44 PM.

#22 Ronbo

Ronbo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

Tuesday morning pics.. Before and after photos, on a nice day and Tuesday morning. Olive Mill Road overpass at 101, guardrail completely gone. South of 101 at the tracks.

#23 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

For what it is worth, the track a train is showing the 11(10) that departed Seattle with estimated times indicating that they expect to travel all the way to LAX tomorrow evening.  14 that departs Thursday morning will not show on track a train until the train has actually departed LAX. Looks like the tracks may be open for train travel Thursday(1/11).

So... Those websites aren't always accurate. From what I see, 11(10) is still terminating are OKJ. 11(11) is planned to go to LAX however. And 14(11) will be from EMY, since that's where the equipment terminated yesterday.

What'll be interesting to see is where 14(12) originates, if 11(10) doesn't go to LAX.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Please note that 11(10) is proceeding all the way to Los Angeles arriving tonight and 14(11) did depart Los Angeles an hour late and is north of Santa Barbara.  Looks like the Amtrak Status maps were correct.

#24 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

For what it is worth, the track a train is showing the 11(10) that departed Seattle with estimated times indicating that they expect to travel all the way to LAX tomorrow evening.  14 that departs Thursday morning will not show on track a train until the train has actually departed LAX. Looks like the tracks may be open for train travel Thursday(1/11).

So... Those websites aren't always accurate. From what I see, 11(10) is still terminating are OKJ. 11(11) is planned to go to LAX however. And 14(11) will be from EMY, since that's where the equipment terminated yesterday.

What'll be interesting to see is where 14(12) originates, if 11(10) doesn't go to LAX.

Please note that 11(10) is proceeding all the way to Los Angeles arriving tonight and 14(11) did depart Los Angeles an hour late and is north of Santa Barbara.  Looks like the Amtrak Status maps were correct.
Leave it to us to not update internal resources

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#25 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:30 PM

As I write sitting two blocks from the Santa Barbara station, I can hear the train horns.

I was booked for yesterday on 11 (9) from Sacramento to SBA.  The day before my departure, I began noticing that train status was saying service disruption, although I never received any communication from Amtrak.  I called the 800 number and was told it was sold out, which was what Amtrak.com was saying.  No, I didn't say great; I already have my ticket! knowing that Amtrak doesn't always know the difference between canceled and sold out. When I suggested this, the agent was adamant that it was sold out.

Remembering it was an AGR reward trip, I called them.  The agent agreed to check and came back with the report that a decision would be made later at 5:00PM.  At this point the best option seemed to be a San Joaquin to Bakersfield and Ambus to SBA.

When I called back after five, the decision to truncate at Oakland had been made; and the SJ-bus option was now sold out.  I didn't for a minute believe it was actually sold out.  But my only choice was a Capitol Corridor to San Jose and a much longer bus ride. 

Later, out of curiosity I checked availability for the SJ-bus option for the next day and day after. It is now listed as canceled, implying to me that the road from Bakersfield to SBA is also closed.  Checking the schedule, I see that it calls at Oxnard, Ventura, and Carpenteria before reaching SBA.  In other words it back tracks on the 101 (as Califorios would say).  Ad an aside, Google maps shows the Bakersfield to Santa Barbara route to approach it from the north.  Why not take the shorter route during the emergency?

Incidentally, the 101 is now projected to be opened Tuesday, five days after the rail line opened. The UP must run a lot of freight over the line.  Or a more likely explanation is that the highway, which is inland and above the tracks acted as a damn, protecting them from the muck.

#26 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:24 PM

As I write sitting two blocks from the Santa Barbara station, I can hear the train horns.

I was booked for yesterday on 11 (9) from Sacramento to SBA.  The day before my departure, I began noticing that train status was saying service disruption, although I never received any communication from Amtrak.  I called the 800 number and was told it was sold out, which was what Amtrak.com was saying.  No, I didn't say great; I already have my ticket! knowing that Amtrak doesn't always know the difference between canceled and sold out. When I suggested this, the agent was adamant that it was sold out.

Remembering it was an AGR reward trip, I called them.  The agent agreed to check and came back with the report that a decision would be made later at 5:00PM.  At this point the best option seemed to be a San Joaquin to Bakersfield and Ambus to SBA.

When I called back after five, the decision to truncate at Oakland had been made; and the SJ-bus option was now sold out.  I didn't for a minute believe it was actually sold out.  But my only choice was a Capitol Corridor to San Jose and a much longer bus ride. 

Later, out of curiosity I checked availability for the SJ-bus option for the next day and day after. It is now listed as canceled, implying to me that the road from Bakersfield to SBA is also closed.  Checking the schedule, I see that it calls at Oxnard, Ventura, and Carpenteria before reaching SBA.  In other words it back tracks on the 101 (as Califorios would say).  Ad an aside, Google maps shows the Bakersfield to Santa Barbara route to approach it from the north.  Why not take the shorter route during the emergency?

Incidentally, the 101 is now projected to be opened Tuesday, five days after the rail line opened. The UP must run a lot of freight over the line.  Or a more likely explanation is that the highway, which is inland and above the tracks acted as a damn, protecting them from the muck.

Highway 101 is sunk below grade, so it got the brunt of the muck (there's a reason they call it "The Bathtub" over there), thus lessening the rail line's exposure a lot.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users