Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

The Most Awful Transit Center in America

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:16 PM

A great essay on the state of Penn Station and the Hudson River Tunnels:

https://www.bloomber...maginably-worse

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,583 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

True this!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

We should plan a Gathering and take Justin River's "Remnants of Penn Station" guided tour. Sounds fascinating.

Edited by VentureForth, 10 January 2018 - 03:00 PM.

Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#4 tricia

tricia

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

Funny, I KNEW this would be Penn Station before seeing OP's post. 

#5 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:27 PM

I thought it would be TRE--but my commute through there is a breeze compared to this.

Whenever I go to New England from NJ, the worst part of the journey (actually, the only bad part) is going through the tunnel--I am always afraid it will collapse right then and there.

To be fair, the one near Baltimore is pretty scary, too.

#6 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:39 PM

Been to both TRE and NYP, don't think that negatively of either one. 

By comparison, DAL was pretty bad. I don't think was any soap in the men's bathroom and there was no public intercom system so a lady had to actually speak over probably 100 people to keep us informed about the status of the TE's arrival as it was over 2 hours late getting in. PGH is also an Am-Shack as is SLC. I mean, Penn Station is a palace compared to those dumps so everything's relative.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#7 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:45 PM

Wow, this is a very well-written article! I really hope this gets widespread attention.

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

#8 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:46 PM

By comparison, DAL was pretty bad. I don't think was any soap in the men's bathroom and there was no public intercom system so a lady had to actually speak over probably 100 people to keep us informed about the status of the TE's arrival as it was over 2 hours late getting in. PGH is also an Am-Shack as is SLC. I mean, Penn Station is a palace compared to those dumps so everything's relative.

I agree. Penn Station is crowded and unimpressive, but it is not anywhere near as bad as many travellers claim it to be. Other stations, such as Orlando, may appear nice but are even more overcrowded and disgusting at certain times of the day. Some Amtrak stations have no amenities except a simple platform. While the train halls in stations such as Chicago may be impressive, the average New York traveller would not pass through such a place in Penn Station even if it existed. It is sad that the old train hall was torn down, but there are much more critical projects at the moment. The Gateway Tunnel project is far more important for the area than any station improvement.
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS MIA-NYP

#9 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:52 PM

I dunno... I kind of got the impression that the article lays a lot of anguish at Penn Station itself.  But it says quite honestly that the real issue is not the station but the infrastructure.  Without the tunnels, the station becomes kind of pointless.

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#10 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:00 PM

I agree. Penn Station is crowded and unimpressive, but it is not anywhere near as bad as many travellers claim it to be. Other stations, such as Orlando, may appear nice but are even more overcrowded and disgusting at certain times of the day. Some Amtrak stations have no amenities except a simple platform. While the train halls in stations such as Chicago may be impressive, the average New York traveller would not pass through such a place in Penn Station even if it existed. It is sad that the old train hall was torn down, but there are much more critical projects at the moment. The Gateway Tunnel project is far more important for the area than any station improvement.

The difference between Penn Station and other Amtrak facilities that may only have a single platform and an AmShack is the ridership. Penn serves more people than LaGuardia, JFK, and Newark airports combined each day: 430,000 people. Try standing in the crowded waiting area at rush hour in Penn. The reason it gets so crowded, even to the point of being unsafe, is because trains are delayed due to issues in the tunnels.

Edited by daybeers, 10 January 2018 - 08:02 PM.

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

#11 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:31 PM

I was in the present Pittsburgh station in 2015, transferring from the Capitol to the Pennsylvanian. Waiting area nothing to rave about, but not that bad and is a proper station. I recall in 1975 boarding the Broadway coach headed east in the old PRR station. Cavernous waiting room that was rather dark. In the middle of the night. I believe that building is now some ritzy condo or something of that order.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#12 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:47 PM

Penn Station serves an entirely different function than that which the original station did. It is an incredibly busy commuter and corridor station that also has some long distance and medium distance trains. The majority of the people going through the station are in and out, not waiting long periods for trains. A bankrupt company sold off a dirty and run down building that no one was going to pay to fix up. The idea was to make big money on the real estate deal and spur an improvement in that area of Manhattan. They really didn't care much about the resulting station being inadequate. The passenger mix and volume is totally different, would a restored and beautiful station be able to handle today's volume and mix of Amtral, NJT, and LIRR and cut through subway passengers, or would it require an enormous investment to still be viable? Would that area of Manhattan be better off without the new buildings and MSG? That is not an easy call. Regardless, what lies underneath, and East and West, certainly needs addressing sooner rather than later.

#13 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,033 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:29 PM

Been to both TRE and NYP, don't think that negatively of either one. By comparison, DAL was pretty bad. I don't think was any soap in the men's bathroom and there was no public intercom system so a lady had to actually speak over probably 100 people to keep us informed about the status of the TE's arrival as it was over 2 hours late getting in. PGH is also an Am-Shack as is SLC. I mean, Penn Station is a palace compared to those dumps so everything's relative.

I agree. Penn Station is crowded and unimpressive, but it is not anywhere near as bad as many travellers claim it to be. Other stations, such as Orlando, may appear nice but are even more overcrowded and disgusting at certain times of the day. Some Amtrak stations have no amenities except a simple platform.

With some motivation and money the problems with DAL can be fixed.  Add soap, install a public address system, etc.  If ORL is nasty it can be cleaned up with better maintenance and a janitor service.  Even Amshacks like SLC can be removed and replaced with something else.  It won't be cheap but if the will and funding is there it can be done.  But NYP is unique in that it has no practical path to meaningful improvement.  The primary tenant couldn't care less if the station is a dump, there's no alternative location for all these trains to call during major renovations, and any serious plan for returning NYP to its former glory would outlive nearly everyone on the forum.  That's a distinction with a difference.  Anyone who thinks NYP isn't that bad should consider visiting some major high volume train stations in other industrialized democracies before solidifying their position.

#14 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,144 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:58 AM

Honestly, most of the problems with Penn are operational and managerial. Penn is a through station with 18 through tracks (and 4 stubs), but Amtrak and NJT use their side like primarily like a stub end, and LIRR does a better job- average LIRR turning is 10 minutes to NJTs 30.

If the three fiefdoms could come together and propose an operational change to stop every train from fouling A interlocking coming and going, a new celebration of arrivals would be redundant.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#15 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:05 AM

The article states that the Moynihan Station was nixed, but another article I read stated that renovations have begun in the old Post Office. Anyone on the ground there with any info?

#16 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,715 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:08 AM

Moynihan is not a "station" no matter how many people say so. It is just a fancy west side concourse that feeds the same Penn Station platforms.

#17 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

Moynihan is not a "station" no matter how many people say so. It is just a fancy west side concourse that feeds the same Penn Station platforms.

Glad to know you are the authority on such matters. It certainly would be an improvement... The latest news I've seen says construction began August of 2017.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#18 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,144 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:32 PM

JIS is completely right. Thats why I called it a celebration of arrivals; its functional improvements are minimal and have nothing to do with train movement.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#19 jamess

jamess

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

Portal Bridge has been stuck open for a few hours and the Amtrak website is silent on the matter.

I bring it up because the plans for new tunnels included a new bridge

#20 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

JIS is completely right. Thats why I called it a celebration of arrivals; its functional improvements are minimal and have nothing to do with train movement.

What do you call it then... A new waiting room?

Edited by crescent-zephyr, 11 January 2018 - 02:27 PM.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users