Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Trip Report Alaska Railroad (Denali Star)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Woodcut60

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains; Amtrak; American Railroad History

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:49 AM

Thought it'd be nice to share this small trip report of a spectacular journey across Alaska which I did in 2014:

https://alaskabyrail.wordpress.com

Amtrak Routes Traveled: Lake Shore Limited, California Zephyr, San Joaquin, Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Cardinal, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Southwest Chief, Hiawatha, City of New Orleans, Texas Eagle, Heartland Flyer, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln, Wolverine, Northeast Regional, Acela Express, Downeaster, Vermonter, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Capitol Limited, Pennsylvanian, Amtrak Cascades, Maple Leaf, Adirondack, Ethan Allen Express, Keystone, Carolinian, Piedmont.

Other Routes in North America: Denali Star (Anchorage-Fairbanks, Alaska Railroad), The Ocean (Halifax-Montréal), Corridor (Montréal-Toronto), The Canadian (Toronto-Vancouver).

Amtrak: approx. 29,000 miles and 47 states.

VIA Rail Canada: approx. 4,300 miles and eight provinces.

#2 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:22 PM

Hi Paul,

A very nice report, and great photos too. Yet another train trip I ought to make!

As my son has a nut allergy, I was surprised to notice that almonds seem to feature in all the menu offerings in your shot, not a problem for me, anyway!

I feel inspired by such trip reports, and should get around to writing up my autumn 2017 trip to India, instead of sitting on my  ***  :D

The Wordpress presentation looks very neat, too.

Ed.

Edited by caravanman, 10 January 2018 - 12:24 PM.

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,929 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

Great trip, thanks for sharing! 😎

This is on my "Bucket List" for sure!😉
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:46 PM

Great report.  My sister lives in Fairbanks, so we spend days 93 miles inside Denali NP at a private lodge called Camp Denali.  One morning we caught Denali almost clear.  This place isn't cheap, but everything is included, and has the best views and the best guides.  Love Alaska.  The trip south past  Turnagain Arm is a great trip that the train also takes.  We watched the Beluga whales cows teaching their young to catch fish, then caught the unique event of the receding tide being overlapped by the incoming tide of a one foot wall of water.  Thanks again for the great trip report.

#5 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:39 PM

As a follow-up, the Gold Star service how includes the meals - quote from their web page:

"GoldStar tickets include meals, all soft beverages and two complimentary adult beverages per trip for passengers over 21."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users