Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

The Journey to the Great White North

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,309 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:13 PM

Fantastic pics, were so envious!😉
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#22 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

Fantastic pics, were so envious!

I second that emotion!

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#23 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

You guys should take the trip next year. It's a lovely winter trip.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#24 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:39 AM

Hey Seaboard....Great Trip Report and photos!.....and you certainly got around with such a short time here. That route you took through Truro, past the trestle at East Mines….then on up over Folly Mountain and the Wentworth Valley is my usual stomping grounds and certainly provides some great photo ops. Prior to the tri-weekly schedule….I could occasionally catch the Oceans meeting at Folly Lake.

Glad you got to experience a train ride through the snow storm in northern New Brunswick (one of my favorite time to be riding)....and still not have much of a delay as I know you had some pretty tight connections!!

#25 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:42 AM

Hey Seaboard....Great Trip Report and photos!.....and you certainly got around with such a short time here. That route you took through Truro, past the trestle at East Mines….then on up over Folly Mountain and the Wentworth Valley is my usual stomping grounds and certainly provides some great photo ops. Prior to the tri-weekly schedule….I could occasionally catch the Oceans meeting at Folly Lake.

Glad you got to experience a train ride through the snow storm in northern New Brunswick (one of my favorite time to be riding)....and still not have much of a delay as I know you had some pretty tight connections!!

Thank you. It was an incredible route around the Wentworth Valley. I love that part of Nova Scotia. That bridge feels like it's out of the Rockies further west. I would love to see your photos that way. You have more Budd trains coming.

Our only delay really was meeting 14 at Moncton so we did pretty well for ourself. That snowstorm was amazing. I wish it had been daylight for that though. The Ocean has the best beds for sure.
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#26 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:09 PM

Wonderful report and beautiful photos--thanks for sharing this with us! :)

#27 Cardinal

Cardinal

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Train travel, photography, gardening

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:36 PM

We really enjoyed your great trip report and pictures.  What an adventure in the winter.  We did the Ocean from Montreal to Moncton in the summer 2016.  All Renaissance equipment.  We left our car in Kingston, Ont. and took Corridor trains between there and Montreal. Our final destination was Prince Edward Island.  We also did two trips on the Cardinal that summer. 

Mary

AMTRAK: Cardinal, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, Northeast Regional-Lynchburg, Downeaster, Maple

Leaf,Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Hiawatha, California Zepher

Metropolitan Rapid Rails: Vancouver SkyTrain, Portland MAX Light Rail, Minneapolis METRO Light Rail, Atlanta MARTA Light Rail, WMATA Metrorail, Salt Lake City TRAX

VIA Rail: Canadian, Corridor, Ocean

Numerous excursions

#28 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

A classic report. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#29 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:29 PM

Enjoyed your trip report and photos. We also traveled on the Ocean a couple years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the ride and the four days in Halifax.

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:    86,889 miles and counting
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB - Empire Service Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

#30 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:07 PM

I think the Ocean really is one of the most under rated trains in North America. It has beautiful scenery especially the Matapedia Valley, and around Nova Scoatia. It's something I recommend for everyone.

#31 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:12 PM

Agree with comments on both the Ocean Trip and Halifax.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users