Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Complaining -- mail, phone or email

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 JackieTakestheTrain

JackieTakestheTrain

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, seeing new locales, writing

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:30 AM

Hi -- 

What's the best way to complain these days to Amtrak?

Mail -- I used to mail the CEO's office and someone would call, now not sure if that works anymore.

Call Customer Service  -- I have done that recently and that worked but my gripes this time are more about systemic issues.

Email -- On my recent Cardinal trip, I received a card with a phone number (800-722-6139) and directing me to the website and using the contact us feature.

Thanks!
-Jackie

#2 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

How about your Senators and Congressperson?  They have far more influence over Amtrak than anyone you're likely to reach by phone or mail.  If they're neutral or positive toward Amtrak then consider talking to them instead.  Amtrak as a company has never shown much interest in resolving passenger concerns, at least in my experience.  I'd only call Amtrak if I had some ideas for new phone applications or web templates or some other window dressing.

#3 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

It also depends on the issue. There are plenty of legit Amtrak issues or things to complain about that will garner 0 attention at the Congressional level.

#4 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,474 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:30 AM

If you want to complain about something, you do not call and talk to customer service, you ask SPECIFICALLY to be connected to customer RELATIONS! (Customer Service is another name for the reservation agent.)
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#5 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,364 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

If you want to complain about something, you do not call and talk to customer service, you ask SPECIFICALLY to be connected to customer RELATIONS! (Customer Service is another name for the reservation agent.)

Any company that requires a special secret code to talk to someone who cares has already made it clear where they stand on customer service.

#6 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:43 AM

One of the challenges in routing complaints is that a legit complaint that deals with Amtrak services is often not under their control. A good example is Albany-Renns. an extremely busy station, but owned and operated by CDTA. Amtrak is a tenant. Lets say you had a problem with the parking lot, or the bathrooms, or one of the shops in the station. Normal inclination would be to call Amtrak, but most folks would probably feel like they  were getting the brush off if they were told "that's not our problem" And they aren't particularly good at handling the problem areas that they are responsible for. They seem to hand out credits sooner than resolving problems. poor management oversight of service delivery is a norm. Things that could be easily corrected with a little effort (like using too much diner or lounge space for crew ops) have gone unresolved for years.

#7 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,474 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

If you call your city bus service or some store or the US Capitol or your state Capitol or even City Hall, I bet the person answering the phone will say

Let me transfer you to the correct office.

I doubt they will take your complaints directly themselves.

Edited by the_traveler, 03 January 2018 - 11:54 AM.

Take it easy .......

#8 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

No clear answer. Some companies or organizations publish or disseminate a clear path for issues, some route. NYC has done very well with "311" an all purpose non emergency call center, they take your complaints, and they are routed to the correct (hopefully) agency for followup and action. You get a tracking number to see the actions taken. I left a cell number and received a follow up phone call from a DSNY area supervisor to get more info about an issue as well as the e-mails.

They have also added a "service map" where you can go online and see complaints (you can filter by type) in your (or any)  area and how they were handled.

Edited by PVD, 03 January 2018 - 12:03 PM.

#9 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

My feeling, as an older person, is that a letter sent by mail carries more weight than a call or email, but you have to know where to send it for maximum impact.

If you have an address for a ceo, I would send them the letter, and add the line at bottom, "Copy to xxxx".  xxx can be congress person or anyone else you think will cause worry to the ceo  :D  (That part can be a bluff, of course...)

Ed.

#10 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,332 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

If it's a complaint about an individual situation, call.

If it's a complaint about a systemic issue, certified mail (return receipt requested) to the CEO and chair of the board of the directors.  Next step Congress (or if the issue is that Amtrak's breaking the law, a lawyer).

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#11 Charles785

Charles785

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:32 PM

Does anyone have any direct email addresses, telephone numbers, or US Mail addresses for some of the decision-making executives at Amtrak?  And in that regard, is there a reporting relationship chart available that shows the chain of command at Amtrak and their respective names? 

For instance I have often wondered of each long distance train, for example, has its own decision-making manager, or if  higher up the chain are there decision-makers that could be contacted that have to do with system-wide issues?

I don't care for that clunky email system on the Amtrak website that doesn't appear to go to a line executive, not to mention it seems to be limited to comments about only a specific reservation number.

#12 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,474 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:51 PM

The headquarters of Amtrak is at 60 Massachusetts Avenue in Washington, DC.
Take it easy .......

#13 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,141 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:31 AM

The headquarters of Amtrak is at 60 Massachusetts Avenue in Washington, DC.

Not anymore. It's now at 1 Mass. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#14 anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:16 AM

For all the good its going to do when you complain to Amtrak, you just as well make the complaint here on this forum.

Edited by anumberone, 04 January 2018 - 04:17 AM.

#15 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:22 AM

To be fair, CEO's and folk high up in the chain of command in any business don't want to be bothered by routine complaints, they have other folk to take care of that, so they can devote their attention to what is important, such as where to have lunch... :D

Ed.

#16 Adrouault

Adrouault

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:28 AM

I'm looking for this information as well, after a dreadful trip on 52. 

#17 Rheavon

Rheavon

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Vintage Life, Train Museums, Enjoying Life

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

I normally have good response from the Contact Us email feature on the website.  I always leave feedback about every trip there (good, bad, & ugly) and have yet to get a canned response- or maybe the canned responses are just that good.

~Rheavon~

#18 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,474 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:48 PM

I agree with you Ed, but I’ve had good responses from letters sent to the COE. If it “less than important”, they may forward it to the appropriate department. (I’m sure they take care of it better if they know that it came from “the Boss”!)

On one particular trip that had numerous problems where I sent my letter to the top, I received a personal call from his secretary!:)
Take it easy .......

#19 Aegis

Aegis

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Photo,shooting,fishing,retired LEO

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:15 PM

Maybe I am missing something here, the OP states that she has complained by mail, phone and email..  Is she ever satisfied??  I have been on quite a few trips the last 3 years and not had anything to complain about. Maybe she should try another mode of transportation..

#20 Everydaymatters

Everydaymatters

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • Interests:Travel, antiques, reading, pinochle, grandkids

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

Maybe I am missing something here, the OP states that she has complained by mail, phone and email..  Is she ever satisfied??  I have been on quite a few trips the last 3 years and not had anything to complain about. Maybe she should try another mode of transportation..

Jackie has been a valued member of this forum for many years.  We appreciate her questions and comments because they help many of us.

Edited by Everydaymatters, 04 January 2018 - 03:50 PM.

Routes Traveled: Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Missouri Mule, Empire Builder, Capitol Ltd., Lincoln Service, Lake Shore Ltd., Missouri River Runner, City of New Orleans, Cardinal, Silver Meteor, Texas Eagle, Cascades, Broadway Ltd., Acela, Downeaster, Sunset Ltd., Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Hiawatha, Capitol Corridor, Maple Leaf, Ethan Allen Express 76,745 Amtrak miles.    Via Rail Vancouver to Toronto 2775 Miles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users