Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Alstom making progress on Acela 2 contract

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#21 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:32 PM

On the contract status front, was there any discussion here of the Amtrak Inspector General report, date Nov 16 2017, which has useful information: TRAIN OPERATIONS: The Acela Express 2021 Program Faces Oversight Weaknesses and Schedule Risks

Anyone want to bet that all of these projects will be completed by 2021 or 2022?

Much delay and it will start to pinch. Deliver the cars on time and start to make money, to make the first payment in June. Otherwise, anyone spare some change?

#22 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:34 PM

...was there any discussion here of the Amtrak Inspector General report, date Nov 16 2017 ?  It stated there was already a 3 month slip or delay in the design and production schedule.

The infrastructure portion of the  program includes 10  projects on the Northeast Corridor totaling $850 million. ... four of these projects must be completed to run the new trainsets, and two must be completed to run trains on the higher-frequency timetable.

Anyone want to bet that all of these projects will be completed by 2021 or 2022?

Completed on schedule? Nah. Alstom says they're already 89 days behind. In the end, I'm betting that the Sunnyside Yard item entangled with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority is the one Least Likely To Succeed. YMMV

89 days isn't much on such a large order like this. I have faith in Alstom. Unlike the Bombardier-Alstom Consortium. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#23 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:01 PM

Alstom released a short YouTube video illustrating the progression of their HSR train set design. The link was kindly posted on railfan.net.

Edited by DSS&A, 18 January 2018 - 08:03 PM.

• cirdan likes this

#24 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

I think those are going to be some beautiful trains when delivered. The question is can we wait 2-3 more years of the Acela product degrading?

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#25 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:19 AM

There really is no choice on that matter. So suck it up and bear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
  • PVD likes this

#26 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:56 PM

Alston has extended its facility lease and hired more workers. More Amtrak related work will ramp-up in April.

https://m.facebook.c...0}]}}&__tn__=,;

Edited by DSS&A, 14 February 2018 - 07:46 PM.

#27 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

Good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#28 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:17 PM

I have noticed that recently there has been zero info coming out on the new trainsets. Which to me is a good thing. I'm going to guess that sooner or later we'll see some leaked photos of the new trainsets. IIRC the Estimated Delivery Date for the prototype set is First Quarter 2019. 

• cirdan likes this

#29 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:16 AM

I have noticed since February 2018, there have been quite a few job notice postings at Alston in the local newspaper, but no new newspaper articles.

#30 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:31 AM

I just want to emphasize, “Avelia Liberty” is possibly the worst name ever applied to any piece of rolling stock in the history of mankind. It’s just awful.
  • Devil's Advocate likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#31 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,595 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:53 AM

I just want to emphasize, Avelia Liberty is possibly the worst name ever applied to any piece of rolling stock in the history of mankind. Its just awful.

Yep, I'm thinking Acela II will somehow end up being the "Official" Name, but even if not, train fans,and riders will call them by that name!

Best Name ever for a LD Train "The Orient Express".😎

Best here, " The Wabash Cannonball" or " The City of Everywhere".😉

Edited by Bob Dylan, 20 July 2018 - 10:17 AM.

• cpotisch likes this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#32 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:11 AM

Silver Streak Zephyr has gotta be my favorite LD name.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#33 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:19 AM

I just want to emphasize, “Avelia Liberty” is possibly the worst name ever applied to any piece of rolling stock in the history of mankind. It’s just awful.

Acelas train sets were “American Flyer” before Lionel got on their case. Then they changed it to something else. Fortunately, manufacturer’s product name seldom has much to do with branding of service using those products.

Afterall RaiLJets are not called Viaggio either.
  • cpotisch likes this

#34 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:33 PM

Acelas train sets were “American Flyer” before Lionel got on their case. 

And the term American Flyer wasn't original IMO. Acela is for sure original and IMO sounds better then "American Flyer". But the one thing I'll always get a kick out of is that Amtrak claims they renamed the Acela project as a "departure from the original name". 

#35 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:08 PM

Amtrak posted projected images of the new Acela II trainsets on their media page. A thank you to Jis for posting this on the AU facebook page. 

The new trainsets appear to have a more European look. Which IMO is not a surprise considering the builder is Alstom. Personally I was hoping for a more European look compared to what we have now. 

https://media.amtrak...traininteriors/

• daybeers likes this

#36 districtRich

districtRich

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:51 PM

Amtrak posted projected images of the new Acela II trainsets on their media page. A thank you to Jis for posting this on the AU facebook page. 

The new trainsets appear to have a more European look. Which IMO is not a surprise considering the builder is Alstom. Personally I was hoping for a more European look compared to what we have now. 

It'll be great when these arrive. I love riding the Acela trains now, but they're definitely getting a bit shabby although my last ride was a few months ago before they started the interior updates.

Acela (10)  California Zephyr (1)  Capitol Limited (8)  Cardinal (2)  Coast Starlight (1)  Crescent (1) • Empire Builder (1) • Northeast Regional (tons)  Pacific Surfliner (2) • Silver Meteor (2) Sunset Limited (1) Texas Eagle (2)  Wolverine (2)

#37 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:19 PM

Picture 6 shows Boston as next stop, time 1452, and speed 175.  We believe that is several Gothas ?/  Also WC for water closet ? 

Edited by west point, 08 August 2018 - 07:25 PM.

#38 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:18 PM

Picture 6 shows Boston as next stop, time 1452, and speed 175.  We believe that is several Gothas ?/  Also WC for water closet ? 

To be fair, hard to fit "toilet" into a small light like that and WC is probably more universally recognized that other symbols for the toilet.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#39 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:02 PM

By the way, the seats are fixed. Half will face the direction of travel and  half will face the other way. Guess who gets to pay more? Enjoy your assigned seat!  ^_^ 

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#40 cocojacoby

cocojacoby

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:35 PM

By the way, the seats are fixed. Half will face the direction of travel and  half will face the other way. Guess who gets to pay more? Enjoy your assigned seat!  ^_^

THAT SUCKS!  I really hate this new attitude that we have to accept riding backwards at 160 mph.

Why can't we be as clever as the Japanese regarding this? 

https://www.huffingt..._n_5591662.html

Edited by cocojacoby, 08 August 2018 - 09:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users