Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Need Cross-Country Advice!

62 replies to this topic

#61 KleShreen

KleShreen

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:26 PM

Well. Guess I'm not changing. I called and they said I would need to pay an extra 730 dollars to go from bedroom E to bedroom A. Lol. What a joke.

Call back and say you want to MODIFY your reservation.  If the agent does not know how to do that without the price hike, as for a supervisor.

Will do! I'm guessing the agent took the price for bedroom A and was adding it to the price for bedroom E, rather than taking E off. Would make no sense that bedroom E would cost 930 dollars in fare and that bedroom A would cost 1662 dollars.

More likely that bedrooms went up in price since the time you originally booked.  

By nearly double, though?

Yes, there is a huge price difference between low and high buckets.  Bedrooms are not individually priced.  Bedroom A is in the same inventory as Bedroom E.

Kind of too late to learn at this point, but can you explain low and high buckets? I keep seeing people mention buckets and pricing when I search stuff, but haven't really seen anything break down what it means exactly.

#62 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:33 PM

You're already in the Best Superliner Bedroom,E, why would you want to change to an inferior Room,A??????

I definitely agree with Bob!  Bedroom E is in the center of the car so a much quieter ride than over the trucks in Bedroom A. 

#63 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:43 PM

It's not unusual at all for Bedroom or Roomette price to jump that much.  A year ago I booked an EB Bedroom at low bucket price. After that one sale the EB Bedroom price jumped to the high bucket.  I don't remember exact price but total low bucket I got(coach, accommodation, and senior discount) was around $500. The next bedroom price available was high bucket or over $1500. The specific bedroom or roomette does not determine the price. Instead the bucket price in effect is the price charged.  

As to "modifying" the reservation, for me that has proven to be an almost impossible task. I've never been successful. Those who do succeed must have some very good debate skills convincing the customer service agent to get a "supervisor" to teach them how to do it. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users