Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Need Cross-Country Advice!

71 replies to this topic

#61 KleShreen

KleShreen

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:26 PM

Well. Guess I'm not changing. I called and they said I would need to pay an extra 730 dollars to go from bedroom E to bedroom A. Lol. What a joke.

Call back and say you want to MODIFY your reservation.  If the agent does not know how to do that without the price hike, as for a supervisor.

Will do! I'm guessing the agent took the price for bedroom A and was adding it to the price for bedroom E, rather than taking E off. Would make no sense that bedroom E would cost 930 dollars in fare and that bedroom A would cost 1662 dollars.

More likely that bedrooms went up in price since the time you originally booked.  

By nearly double, though?

Yes, there is a huge price difference between low and high buckets.  Bedrooms are not individually priced.  Bedroom A is in the same inventory as Bedroom E.

Kind of too late to learn at this point, but can you explain low and high buckets? I keep seeing people mention buckets and pricing when I search stuff, but haven't really seen anything break down what it means exactly.

First train trips coming up!

August 19: Pere Marquette from Grand Rapids to Chicago

August 19-21: California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville

August 23: Coast Stralight from Oakland to Los Angeles

#62 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:33 PM

You're already in the Best Superliner Bedroom,E, why would you want to change to an inferior Room,A??????

I definitely agree with Bob!  Bedroom E is in the center of the car so a much quieter ride than over the trucks in Bedroom A. 

#63 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:43 PM

It's not unusual at all for Bedroom or Roomette price to jump that much.  A year ago I booked an EB Bedroom at low bucket price. After that one sale the EB Bedroom price jumped to the high bucket.  I don't remember exact price but total low bucket I got(coach, accommodation, and senior discount) was around $500. The next bedroom price available was high bucket or over $1500. The specific bedroom or roomette does not determine the price. Instead the bucket price in effect is the price charged.  

As to "modifying" the reservation, for me that has proven to be an almost impossible task. I've never been successful. Those who do succeed must have some very good debate skills convincing the customer service agent to get a "supervisor" to teach them how to do it. 

#64 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:42 PM

Amtrak pricing is dynamic and tied to demand. Also known as surge pricing, demand pricing.

The airlines, Uber, Lyft, and others also use dynamic pricing.

As there are fewer seats/sleepers available the price usually goes up.

For sleepers there seem to be 4 bucket levels of price.

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#65 KleShreen

KleShreen

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

Amtrak pricing is dynamic and tied to demand. Also known as surge pricing, demand pricing.

The airlines, Uber, Lyft, and others also use dynamic pricing.

As there are fewer seats/sleepers available the price usually goes up.

For sleepers there seem to be 4 bucket levels of price.

So from what I'm gathering...it seems like I probably got the first bedroom on the train, and that triggered the price of the rest of the rooms to go up in price for anyone else who chooses one. So when I called the first time, they probably got that pricing because my reservation for the first bedroom was being taken in to account rather than realizing that my reservation would just move.

Anyway, I called again today and they changed me to bedroom A with no issues. I'm excited to trade a couple feet of space between the chair and bathroom for solid walls and no partition doors =)

#66 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,620 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

You should be perfectly content in BR- A, I would be!!!

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#67 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:16 PM

Solid, but thin walls.

But only one wall between you and the one, nextdoor bedroom.

Edited by KmH, 16 January 2018 - 05:17 PM.

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#68 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,945 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:21 PM

[quote name="KmH" post="737891" timestamp="1516141004"]

Solid, but thin walls.
But only one wall between you and the one, nextdoor bedroom.[/quote]
Just like the Best Bedroom,E!!😉
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#69 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:57 PM

If I were honeymooning, I'd probably prefer bedroom A, too, although I've personally not had specific problems with the other bedrooms and there's not going to be a huge difference for most people.  The walls are pretty thin in all of them, but at least A's are all solid.  I'm getting old and I've never found the ends of the cars to be objectionably bumpy. 

I don't recall whether you said either of you have traveled overnight trains before, but any of the bedrooms are going to look very small--because they are.  If your bride is not familiar with them, she may be like "Huh?!" when you board.  There are lots of youtube videos out there to preview.  It will be a unique, memorable setting for sure.  That said, I love traveling by Amtrak although the experience varies tremendously depending on a number of unpredictable factors.  A laid back attitude is a must especially for such a special occasion as yours.  Other than for scenery, begin with low expectations that everything will be exactly as it should be.

The Zephyr has a beautiful route especially west of Denver.

Congrats, best wishes for a blessed marriage, and enjoy the ride.   :wub:

#70 KleShreen

KleShreen

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:57 PM

If I were honeymooning, I'd probably prefer bedroom A, too, although I've personally not had specific problems with the other bedrooms and there's not going to be a huge difference for most people.  The walls are pretty thin in all of them, but at least A's are all solid.  I'm getting old and I've never found the ends of the cars to be objectionably bumpy. 

I don't recall whether you said either of you have traveled overnight trains before, but any of the bedrooms are going to look very small--because they are.  If your bride is not familiar with them, she may be like "Huh?!" when you board.  There are lots of youtube videos out there to preview.  It will be a unique, memorable setting for sure.  That said, I love traveling by Amtrak although the experience varies tremendously depending on a number of unpredictable factors.  A laid back attitude is a must especially for such a special occasion as yours.  Other than for scenery, begin with low expectations that everything will be exactly as it should be.

The Zephyr has a beautiful route especially west of Denver.

Congrats, best wishes for a blessed marriage, and enjoy the ride.   :wub:

I have only ever been on a train once - between Toronto and Quebec City back in middle school. No overnights! We did a lot of research before booking this, so I'm hoping we'll be ready! =)

#71 KleShreen

KleShreen

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:27 PM

Hey all - Finally got around to measuring the size of my luggage bag. I know the Amtrak dimensions say 28 x 22 x 14. Mine is 30 x 20 x 10, and the 30 is with wheels. 28 not counting the wheels. So total size wise, mine is smaller than the maximum. Do you think it would be ok?

#72 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

You are fine. No one on Amtrak will give it a second glance.
Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr; Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-ORL), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)
Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal); 
Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users