Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Historic lack of New York-Chicago day trains

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,580 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:48 AM

Not sure, but I believe that in Amtrak's first decade, at some time they did have a thru sleeper between Boston and Florida....and I'm pretty sure that also had a thru Montreal to Florida sleeper....

You know they had New York to Los Angeles sleeper's on both the National/Southwest and the Crescent/Sunset routes, via Kansas City or New Orleans....and for a while I believe there was a Kansas City to New Orleans sleeper via Carbondale....

And one more...there was a thru San Diego to Seattle (but not Vancouver, BC) sleeper....

Edited by railiner, 30 December 2017 - 08:50 AM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#22 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:11 AM

Thru train and thru sleeper aren't the same to the financially challenged.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#23 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:51 PM

That example makes me wonder....were there any other similar "stillborn" trains that were proposed, but never ran in that era?  And that at least made it into the timetable?

Hiawatha extension to Fond du Lac, WI, I believe was in the same timetable.

I'm also told that splitting the LSL into separate NYP and BOS trains (all the way from Chicago) made it as far as being in Arrow with passengers ticketed before being pulled (don't know what year that was, though).

I want to say there was at least one more, but there were also a few very-short-lived trains in that period that I could just be confusing it with one of them.

#24 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,149 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

There was Warrington's Warbird ;) to Janesville for a little while too during the conversion attempts to freight railroad. ^_^

#25 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:47 AM

There was Warrington's Warbird ;) to Janesville for a little while too during the conversion attempts to freight railroad. ^_^

The Lake Country Limited actually did run for a little while, as you said, so it was not exactly "stillborn"....

And I still kick myself for missing that one....it is the only Amtrak route thru history, that I never rode.... :(

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#26 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:10 AM

That example makes me wonder....were there any other similar "stillborn" trains that were proposed, but never ran in that era?  And that at least made it into the timetable?

Hiawatha extension to Fond du Lac, WI, I believe was in the same timetable.

I'm also told that splitting the LSL into separate NYP and BOS trains (all the way from Chicago) made it as far as being in Arrow with passengers ticketed before being pulled (don't know what year that was, though).

I want to say there was at least one more, but there were also a few very-short-lived trains in that period that I could just be confusing it with one of them.

You are correct...they did show an extension of one Hiawatha train from Milwaukee to Fond du Lac....that one I beleive never ran...if it did, it's another route that I missed....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#27 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

Thru train and thru sleeper aren't the same to the financially challenged.

Okay, fair enough....

In the case of the "River Cities", there was also a coach (sometimes a dome!), from Kansas City to New Orleans .. :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#28 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:44 AM

You are correct...they did show an extension of one Hiawatha train from Milwaukee to Fond du Lac....that one I beleive never ran...if it did, it's another route that I missed....

The FDL extension never ran. However, there was a brief Hiawatha extension that did run in the late 1990s. When I-94 was being rebuilt, they extended a train or two during commute times (I actually don’t know the schedule) west along the Builder route to a western suburban community (I want to say Oconomowoc, but really don’t remember). Sorry for veering off topic, but the thought of Hiawatha extensions reminded me of it just now. Unlike other trains in this discussion, this one actually ran but I’m pretty sure never made it into a timetable.

#29 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:18 AM

The FDL extension never ran. However, there was a brief Hiawatha extension that did run in the late 1990s. When I-94 was being rebuilt, they extended a train or two during commute times (I actually don’t know the schedule) west along the Builder route to a western suburban community (I want to say Oconomowoc, but really don’t remember). Sorry for veering off topic, but the thought of Hiawatha extensions reminded me of it just now. Unlike other trains in this discussion, this one actually ran but I’m pretty sure never made it into a timetable.

I'm not positive, but I want to say it ran to beyond Oconomowoc to Watertown.

#30 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

Listening to the classic Steve Goodman/Arlo Guthrie song "City of New Orleans" got me thinking. As I'm sure you know, when it was inaugurated in 1947, the song's namesake, despite its run of more than 900 miles, operated on a daytime schedule, departing at 8 AM and arriving just before midnight, a run of about 16 hours. I can assume the train appealed to budget travelers. 

Not sure if that would really appeal to budget travellers, seeing they would have to check into a hotel immediately on arrival (unless it is New Orleans locals we are talking about, who could go home). The whole point of sleeper trains is that you can save on a hotel and still have all day at destination. Long daytime trains are more attractive to people doing intermediate stops and not wanting to detrain at silly o'clock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users