Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

CT shuttle--what type of car was I in?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

Is 642 the unit with the "Joe Boardman" marking on the other side? Last year I took a Crescent trip and in one trip had a Vet's P42, Vet's Sprinter, Dash 8 second unit and the Indianapolis diner. Thought it was a lot of "one ofs" fpr one trip.....even odder, we ran pretty much on time despite a long hold in Washington for connecting passengers due to issues North of NYC that morning.

#22 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,616 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

Just in general--I recognize 642 and see it every once in a while, but didn't recognize the nickname Acela150 had for it.

It actually came from a Facebook page. :lol: 

Is 642 the unit with the "Joe Boardman" marking on the other side? Last year I took a Crescent trip and in one trip had a Vet's P42, Vet's Sprinter, Dash 8 second unit and the Indianapolis diner. Thought it was a lot of "one ofs" fpr one trip.....even odder, we ran pretty much on time despite a long hold in Washington for connecting passengers due to issues North of NYC that morning.

No. 642 isn't named after anyone. P42 42 has Joe Boardman's name on it yes. The class leader of the ACS-64's 600 is named after David Gunn.

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#23 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 06:08 PM

Thanks, I remembered seeing it on that trip, and I guess I scrambled the units......

#24 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:23 PM

Just in general--I recognize 642 and see it every once in a while, but didn't recognize the nickname Acela150 had for it.

It actually came from a Facebook page. :lol:

No. 642 isn't named after anyone. P42 42 has Joe Boardman's name on it yes. The class leader of the ACS-64's 600 is named after David Gunn.

Well, if the nickname came from a Facebook page, you know for sure I wouldn't have seen it! :P

I saw 600 sitting at WAS and noticed "David L. Gunn" on the front--so they threw a good guy out and then named a locomotive after him! :huh:

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 29 December 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#25 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,144 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:34 PM

Is there a George Warrington unit... or does Amtrak lack the irony?
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#26 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,715 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:28 AM

Is there a George Warrington unit... or does Amtrak lack the irony?

They may be considering naming one of the Washington Terminal shunters after him

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#27 lordsigma

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:56 AM

Speaking of the Shuttles, as of January 2nd all the Shuttles are back to normal service - no more bus-stitutions. Rode the 490 that day which was the first 490 since August of 2015.

#28 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:09 AM

Wonderful news, lordsigma--thanks!

Now I can start planning another trip to visit relatives up there (in good weather, of course! :)) and will do the shuttle connection when I go.

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 12 January 2018 - 11:11 AM.

#29 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:12 PM

Speaking of the Shuttles, as of January 2nd all the Shuttles are back to normal service - no more bus-stitutions. Rode the 490 that day which was the first 490 since August of 2015.

I wonder if the passengers will actually return.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#30 lordsigma

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:11 PM

There was a decent amount of people on that 490 and there seemed to be people waiting in Springfield station when I got there and it was too early for them to all be Vermonter people they must have been waiting for 493 which was getting ready to depart when we pulled in. Both were bus-stituted Trains since 2015 and that was the first day they were back. Im sure people will return when they realize the train is back - I was driving to new haven in lieu of the bus, but now that the train is back Ill ride from SPG again and Im sure Im not the only one.

#31 lordsigma

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

Its unfortunate that no attempt of media outreach is done. There were local media articles and reports when the bus substitutions started and when they continued beyond their originally announced period. However now that all train service is resumed I have yet to see one media article saying that youd think Amtrak and Conn DOT would want the word out...

#32 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:30 PM

Its unfortunate that no attempt of media outreach is done. There were local media articles and reports when the bus substitutions started and when they continued beyond their originally announced period. However now that all train service is resumed I have yet to see one media article saying that youd think Amtrak and Conn DOT would want the word out...

Maybe they don't want the press to bring up again the fact that the Hartford Line commuter rail won't open till May of this year (quite delayed, what a surprise), the work for which was the reason the Shuttles were bustituted for so long. :giggle: :help:

Edited by daybeers, 12 January 2018 - 10:35 PM.

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

#33 lordsigma

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:35 PM

Maybe they don't want the press to bring up again the fact that the Hartford Line commuter rail won't open till May of this year (quite delayed, what a surprise), the work for which was the reason the Shuttles were bustituted for so long.

True have you seen their new site? http://www.hartfordline.com/. I noticed there is one proposed train that is listed on their PDF schedule but not on their webpage schedule a proposed Amtrak 451 shuttle that would connect with Acela 2151. I hope the PDF is right, a shuttle connecting to 2151 would be a great addition as it would make it possible to get to NY before 9 and DC before noon via a direct connection from the Springfield line.

#34 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:39 PM

Maybe they don't want the press to bring up again the fact that the Hartford Line commuter rail won't open till May of this year (quite delayed, what a surprise), the work for which was the reason the Shuttles were bustituted for so long.

True have you seen their new site? http://www.hartfordline.com/. I noticed there is one proposed train that is listed on their PDF schedule but not on their webpage schedule a proposed Amtrak 451 shuttle that would connect with Acela 2151. I hope the PDF is right, a shuttle connecting to 2151 would be a great addition as it would make it possible to get to NY before 9 and DC before noon via a direct connection from the Springfield line.

I have seen the new site. I would suspect (and hope) that the PDF is right and someone just forgot to add that one on the new website. However, the schedules do say proposed-subject to change, so who knows. I'm not sure if someone on AU is closer to the project.

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

#35 lordsigma

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:58 PM

I have seen the new site. I would suspect (and hope) that the PDF is right and someone just forgot to add that one on the new website. However, the schedules do say proposed-subject to change, so who knows. I'm not sure if someone on AU is closer to the project.

For sure and I'm sure there will be changes I'd just love to see the 2151 connection. They also seem to be proposing other tweeks to Amtrak's existing schedule. For example they appear to be proposing to swap the times of the weekday 148 and Friday 136 through trains (and also have a Shuttle Monday-Thursday around the same timeframe that 136 would run.) The only proposed loss of service I see (obviously could change) is the loss of the ability for folks north of Hartford to connect to Northeast Regional 93 as they appear to get rid of 493. The connection to 93 is maintained for points from Hartford to the south as 493 would be replaced by one of the new CTrail commuter trains that would terminate in Hartford.. Meanwhile Amtrak would add new shuttles connecting to 171 and 173 which would be alternatives for north of Hartford passengers who used to take 93.

#36 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:01 AM

Yeah I think I'd support these changes overall. There are still unfortunately some service gaps of around two hours in some places with the new service, but oh well. Too bad the further improvements to bring faster service and more frequencies probably won't see the light of day for quite a while due to Connecticut's current financial situation.

#37 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:24 AM

What equipment will the commuter trains be using? I tried to search for the answer online but it is surprisingly hard to find.
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS MIA-NYP

#38 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:28 AM

What equipment will the commuter trains be using? I tried to search for the answer online but it is surprisingly hard to find.

Apparently CDOT Shore Line East cars. Not sure if/when they're going to test those on the line.

#39 Dutchrailnut

Dutchrailnut

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:Ships, Planes, Trains

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

Correct they will be using former VRE mafersa cars now used on SLE. max speed for those is 90 mph. and some P40 and GP40-2H locomotives used on SLE.

ConnDOT owns 6 of the GP40-2h and 12 former Amtrak P40's .

Unlill the M-8's are accepted for SLE use the diesel fleet will need to be shared between the two lines.

#40 lordsigma

lordsigma

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

The SLE trainsets are push-pull with a cab car like the Shuttles correct? I would think they'd want them to operate in the same manner as the shuttles.

Does anyone know how many trainsets Amtrak has for the Shuttle? Given the unique setup with the seat direction and the need for the metroliner cars I'd imagine they have a couple dedicated trainsets they keep around for it. I know there are at least 3 dual car consists and one single car consist. I wonder if the current Shuttle fleet can handle the additional 3 round trips that are being proposed or if they'll have to add another metroliner cab or two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users