Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

CT shuttle--what type of car was I in?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:33 AM

Yesterday for the first time I took the shuttle from New Haven to Windsor, CT. I was in a coach car that, on outside at the end, had the orange/yellow color with the black stripes. On the inside, half the seats faced one way, the other half the other way, meeting in the middle with a nice set of seats facing each other. A few years ago, I was in a Keystone coach car just like this. Are they the same thing? From the Metroliners, split up and sent to different places?

By the way, even with the holiday crowds, it was a much nicer experience than I expected--polite, organized conductors; comfortable seats; pleasant passengers--very restful after the Northeast Regional New York corridor. I will probably do this again if it is cheaper than the Vermonter.

#2 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,595 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:04 AM

Almost sounds like an old SPV-2000, but I believe those are all long gone....did it have a control cab at the end?  Or, did you happen to record the car number?

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#3 Dutchrailnut

Dutchrailnut

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Interests:Ships, Planes, Trains

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:09 AM

cab car , its a former Metroliner MU car.

#4 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:11 AM

Thinking Metroliner convert to cab Car....

#5 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:12 AM

Somebody has faster fingers than I...........LOL

#6 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:21 AM

Thank you all....I wondered why I felt like I was in PA when I was in CT! I love those cars and am glad some of them are still going on some nice quieter routes.

railiner--I was trying to avoid slipping on the ice and being run over by the other passengers from the Regional trying to grab a seat in the shuttle. So no time to record the car number! When I come up to CT when it's quieter and not a holiday, I will try to remember to do that, and maybe we can all figure out the history of the specific car.

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 24 December 2017 - 11:22 AM.

#7 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

As others have said, you were in an ex-Metroliner Cab Car. As it says in my signature, I have rode that Shuttle many times, and yes, the conductors are always very nice! It's gotten to the point where I recognize almost all of them from NHV-HFD. I'm actually in HFD right now and close enough to hear nice K5LA horns multiple times per day, so chances are I heard your cab car's horn yesterday!

Amtrak travel so far: only 10,881 miles: Springfield Shuttle (12), Northeast Regional (27), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~870 miles), Metra, CTA, MTA, MBTA, Metro-North

#8 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

daybeers--

If you were listening around 4:00 yesterday afternoon, you definitely would have heard the horn in HFD! :)

#9 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:44 AM

Thank you all....I wondered why I felt like I was in PA when I was in CT! I love those cars and am glad some of them are still going on some nice quieter routes.

railiner--I was trying to avoid slipping on the ice and being run over by the other passengers from the Regional trying to grab a seat in the shuttle. So no time to record the car number! When I come up to CT when it's quieter and not a holiday, I will try to remember to do that, and maybe we can all figure out the history of the specific car.

If you tell me the train number I may be persuaded to look up the consist for you. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#10 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:42 AM

Thank you, Triley. :) It was train number 464 on December 23, leaving New Haven at about 3:00 p.m.

#11 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 05:01 PM

96** Cab cars are the 9600 series. Rumor has it if you were on 164 on Christmas Eve it may or may not have been pulled by a red headed stepchild and her sister. ;)

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#12 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:30 AM

Acela150--

Not sure what you're referring to above about who was pulling 164, but I was on it the day before. I didn't see which engine we had. (I don't travel often during crowded periods, so I spent the whole trip concentrating on not getting stomped on and crushed--no time to look for the important things like train consists! :))

#13 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:46 PM

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the Wikipedia article on the ex-Metroliner cab cars, and here is an article on the New Haven-Springfield Shuttle.

Amtrak travel so far: only 10,881 miles: Springfield Shuttle (12), Northeast Regional (27), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~870 miles), Metra, CTA, MTA, MBTA, Metro-North

#14 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:00 AM

Acela150--

Not sure what you're referring to above about who was pulling 164, but I was on it the day before. I didn't see which engine we had. (I don't travel often during crowded periods, so I spent the whole trip concentrating on not getting stomped on and crushed--no time to look for the important things like train consists! :))

I'd post a photo of the red headed step child.. But the red headed step child is 642. ;)

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#15 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,010 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:31 AM

Acela150--

I'd post a photo of the red headed step child.. But the red headed step child is 642. ;)
AKA the veteran unit

Color%20Digital%20Image_ACS64%20No%20642

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Edited by AmtrakBlue, 27 December 2017 - 05:33 AM.

#16 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:30 AM

Thank you, Triley. :) It was train number 464 on December 23, leaving New Haven at about 3:00 p.m.

No problem, and sorry about the delay in checking!

You had cab car 9635, and if you're curious your engine number was 89.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#17 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,595 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:55 AM

Here's a video I found of that car....noticed the door seemed to be manually closed?  

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#18 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,142 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:24 PM

I think they all are on the ex-metroliner fleet.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#19 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:09 PM

Doors on the Ex-Metroliner's are manual doors. 

#20 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:48 AM

Thank you all--my goodness, what a lot of interesting information! :)

Just in general--I recognize 642 and see it every once in a while, but didn't recognize the nickname Acela150 had for it. And yes, the conductor manually opened the doors for us (plus helped me with my bags and helped me on and off the train--I love the New England conductors! :))

railiner--thanks for the video--in the video, 9635 was going through TRE, the station I have to change commuter trains at, so I often see trains going to New England on that track. I'm glad it got to go up to nicer territory and be a shuttle in New England! :)

daybeers--thank you for the Wikipedia links--even more interesting history!

Finally, Triley, thank you for looking up the numbers of the cab car and the engine--yes, I love knowing the numbers of the consist. I usually notice them myself and write them in a travel diary, but with the crowded conditions that day, all of that went out the window--I was lucky just to get a seat!

Edited by Mystic River Dragon, 28 December 2017 - 11:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users