Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

If you could add any amenities to Amtrak, what would they be?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,071 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

Let me draw that out further. I hate doing this kind of speculations, but lets consider the following:

1) The Superliner I cars are reaching the end of their lifecycle, and would benefit from replacement.

2) The Amfleet II cars are also indicated to be nearing the end of their lifecycle, and would benefit from replacement.

3) The Amfleet I cars were next to be replaced on that list.

Further, it would not be difficult, in my opinion, to reconfigure the Russian Rail design cars to have a center aisle with 16 roomettes- the rooms appear to me to be 2 meters wide, so longitudinal berth is likely doable, using the same window design as the Russian car. 

This would allow you to create a pair of cars consisting of a 16-roomette car with 2 restrooms, a shower, and an attendant's room (as configured for the russian train), and a 6-bedroom (two berths and a bath), one-handicapped room, and 2 family (four berths, no bath), two bathrooms, and a shower. This combined car pair would give you 16 roomettes, 6 bedrooms, 2 family rooms, and a handicapped room, for a total of 54 passengers; an increase of 10 over a Superliner, and a relatively minor decrease of 3-per-car average over a Viewliner. 

Diners, lounges, and coaches are of course in the bag for that sort of thing. Lounges and diners would be a straight replacement sort of thing. For a Superliner coach, you would need 3 60 passenger single levels to replace each one. 

To replace the Superliner I sleepers (70 originally), diners (35 originally), lounges (25), and coaches (135, iirc), the Amfleet II coaches (125) and lounges (25), and the Amfleet I coaches and cafes (call it 420 coaches and 80 lounges), you would need:

70 Bedroom Sleepers

70 Roomette Sleepers 

305 LD coaches

50 LD lounge cars

35 dining cars 530

420 short distance coaches

80 short distance lounge cars

---------------------

1030 Total Cars

Do you really thing that if Amtrak managed to make a coherent order for replacing the cars, consisting of 1030 cars over a 10-15 year time frame at say $3 mil a piece average, for a $3.1 billion order, Siemens would be unwilling to bid, because of the difficulty of redesigning the interior wall structures of 70 of the cars?

Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#82 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:55 PM

Why do some of our posters keep posting that Amfleet-1s will be replaced first ?   That is misleading to new members on this forum. The Fleet Strategy plan revision came out in March 2012.   Each budget revision plan for every year since has stated the AM-2s first as well. Amtrak has always stated that the AM-2s would need replacing first due to fact their average mileage is on average 40% + higher  than AM-1s.  The one exception is the  LD  AM-1s that are lounges that travel with the AM-2s LD  trains.

Probably some of us need wait to see how many additional AM replacements will enter service before any AM-2s are retired ?  That of course does not count any wreck retirements of any AMs.

Edited by west point, 07 January 2018 - 11:56 PM.

#83 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,071 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:27 AM

I have no idea why some people post that. I didnt specify that they would- in fact, I pointedly put Amfleet IIs first. I was just explaining the vastness of a car replacement order, the small ness of Siemens creating Viaggio Comfort sleepers (they did this for 200 Russian Railways cars), and Nerodens preposterous assumptions.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#84 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:45 PM

The first 10+ years of riding on Amtrak was exclusively in coach. My idea is to allow coach passengers to have ONE shower per trip after about 8 hours on board.
The lounge area at the head end primarily used by women, could be converted to a shower room by taking out the toilet and replacing with a shower.
You would pay the coach attendant or someone else for a $5 chit to use to get into the shower room. Towels, soaps etc. could be provided just as they are for the
sleeping car passengers.

I think that is a great idea. I travel exclusively in coach, sometimes for nights at a time, and this is by far the largest issue I run into. I have considered getting a rail pass and riding Amtrak for weeks in a row with no nights off the train, but I do not know how I would do without the shower. I actually think it would even work to open up a shower or two in the sleeping cars with a limit of one to two coach passengers at a time and only those travelling overnight permitted to use the showers. In past years, I have traveled in sleeping cars with my dad and the showers are always underutilized as it is. This would increase customer satisfaction and attract more customers, especially for multi-night long-distance trips with such a minimal increase in traffic in the sleepers that most passengers would not even notice.
<p>Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-NYP

#85 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:06 PM

One possible problem.  Many persons taking showers might deplete potable water to point that more stops would be needed to replenish the potable water ?   Can anyone list present potable water servicing stations ?  Other than terminals only sure of ATL. Florence, Sacramento.

#86 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

Amtrak could also try to find partners at layover points that would allow coach travelers to shower cheaply. Gyms would probably be a good place to start - many have showers and at least some have towel service (or could provide it.) Sell a day pass to the gym for $5 to people with a same-day ticket and shower access is taken care of at least at layover points.

It's not perfect, but it seems a lot simpler than trying to regulate access to the sleepers for showers.

#87 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:52 PM

I for one would appreciate the opportunity to take a shower en route somewhere. The Chicago Metropolitan Lounge has shower access for $50 according to the website? (https://www.amtrak.c...on-lounges.html). That is the only shower I saw on the page. That is one expensive shower. The $5 jebr suggested or even $10 might be something I'd be more willing to pay and to have it at more than one location in addition to CHI would be nice.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users