Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

WA State Ultra High Speed Transportation Study

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TrackWalker

TrackWalker

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Retired Professional TrackWalker

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:28 AM

http://www.wsdot.wa....nsportation.pdf

#2 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,142 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 19 December 2017 - 01:54 PM

I must say I think this is not going to be a likely near term thing.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#3 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:25 AM

Nice report. We can only wonder what that cost the taxpayer. IMO, we will see high speed commuter rail in the near future. As the population grows, there will be more people that travel from the suburbs into the major cities for work. Providing a fast way to commute is in our future. I also believe that the private railroads will get into this business as there is only so far that you can go with freight. As pipelines replace the oil trains this scenario may become more likely..

#4 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:44 AM

Nice report. We can only wonder what that cost the taxpayer. IMO, we will see high speed commuter rail in the near future. As the population grows, there will be more people that travel from the suburbs into the major cities for work. Providing a fast way to commute is in our future. I also believe that the private railroads will get into this business as there is only so far that you can go with freight. As pipelines replace the oil trains this scenario may become more likely..

We still need to see what impact self-driving trucks will have on freight railroads, especially such sectors as containers and piggy back where the railroad's advantage lies in personnel productivity rather than actual simplicity.

With maybe certain situational exceptions, building up a high-density and high-capacity commuter rail system is going to be very capital intensive. I don't think today's freight railroads are going to be first in line to do that. Rather  it's going to take a lot of tax money and thus will probably be government owned.

#5 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:39 AM

The Vancouver to Seattle HSR route has secured funding from British Columbia and the State of Washington for an in-depth feasibility study.

https://www.railwaya...ing-canada-pnw/

#6 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:16 PM

The Vancouver to Seattle HSR route has secured funding from British Columbia and the State of Washington for an in-depth feasibility study.

https://www.railwaya...ing-canada-pnw/

If every rail study resulted in a rail system, this country would have more rail/mile than anywhere else.

Instead, we have more studies/mile.

• daybeers likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users