Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Derailment of Cascades #501, DuPont WA, 2017-12-18

• Please log in to reply
537 replies to this topic

#41 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

Oh crap...........79 mph at that curve?

You don't really believe every bit of hearsay you see here, do you?

No, of course not. But it would not be the first time we had an "oops" in the speed department on a sharp curve involve passenger trains.

#42 Ngotwalt

Ngotwalt

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:47 PM

They have been doing testing for close to a year. Still haven't heard if PTC was in place and in service. Train was a Talgo Serie 6 USA transit, which has short cars like those seen, the cars did not break in half (as far as the photos I have seen anyway).

Nick

Amtrak mileage, who knows? Approximately 250,000 miles. Keystones, Pennsylvanian, Three Rivers, Broadway Limited, Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited (NYC&BOS), Regionals, Acela Express, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Palmetto, Auto Train, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, California Zephyr, Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder (SEA&PDX), Coast Starlight, Cascades, Wolverines, the International, the Maple Leaf, Adirondack, Ethan Allen Express, Downeaster, and Surfliners.
Outside the US, VIA: The Canadian, The Ocean, The Corridor QC to Sarnia; Rocky Mountaineer; Western Europe: The Deerstalker (London-Inverness), IC125s, IC225s, Pendolinos, Eurostars, TGV, Thalys, CNL's Pollux (Amsterdam-Munich), Glacier Express, Ave (BCN-Madrid), RZD Moscow-Chita train, Astrakhan-Volgograd train.

#43 Bierboy

Bierboy

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, grandkids, alien abductions, navel gazing, long walks off short piers, riding tricycles...

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:55 PM

I have to quibble a bit with the news media calling this a "high speed Amtrak train"...technically I suppose that's correct. However, I've never heard LD routes called "high speed", and they routinely hit 79 mph. Japan would laugh at that terminology...

My vacation starts when I climb aboard the train and hear the whistle blow...
NP's Vista-Dome North Coast Limited in the early '60s....those were the days!
Cardinal Sleeper, CHI to WAS - July 2002; SW Chief Sleeper, GBB to LAX - June 2007; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to ESM - May 2009; California Zephyr Sleeper, GBB to EMY - October 2010; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to SEA - March 2011; Texas Eagle Sleeper (AGR), BNL to SAS - April 2013

#44 TylerP42

TylerP42

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:58 PM

Police officer (state patrol) being interviewed by media saying she is having a hard time contacting PIO's at Amtrak.

Media going back and forth saying fatalities and no fatalities.
Just a 19 year old with a love for the railroad. 
Studying Broadcast Media.
Trains Taken: Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Wolverine, Lake Shore Limited, Hiawatha, Lincoln Service,(Birthday Trip Next), Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr (5,640 Miles) END OF TRIP, Acela Express, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Carolinian, Ethan Allen Express , Adirondack, Texas Eagle, VIA Rail Corridor Service (Toronto-Hamilton/Aldershot) 20,221 Miles By Rail...

#45 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:59 PM

They have been doing testing for close to a year. Still haven't heard if PTC was in place and in service. Train was a Talgo Serie 6 USA transit, which has short cars like those seen, the cars did not break in half (as far as the photos I have seen anyway).

Nick

It is notable how the cars did separate.

See here for the far higher-speed derailmant at Compostela in Spain.

Admittedly this is not the same type of equipment, but I guess the overall dynamics are comparable. 

Despite what happened, many of the cars did manage to stay attached.

Arguably, a train's ability to resist jackknifing in this type of situation can be life saving.

Edited by cirdan, 18 December 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#46 Manny T

Manny T

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:04 PM

For what it's worth, I found this about the Talgo in India:

"Okay, how does this technology work?

"Wheels of conventional coaches are joined by an axle underneath. Talgo’s wheels are mounted in pairs but not joined by an axle — instead, they are fitted individually on the coach. As a result, on a curve, the outer wheel (which has to cover a longer distance than the inner wheel) and the inner wheel are free to rotate at speeds of their own, largely foreclosing the possibility of derailment even at higher speeds. Also, the design of the coach is such that it senses the curve and shifts its weight in a manner that manages the tilt." http://indianexpress...rmance-3029920/

#47 BmoreFlyer

BmoreFlyer

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:07 PM

Oh crap...........79 mph at that curve?

You don't really believe every bit of hearsay you see here, do you?

No, of course not. But it would not be the first time we had an "oops" in the speed department on a sharp curve involve passenger trains.

The Amtrak train tracking site has it at 81 MPH just before the derailment.  I do not know how much it would have slowed down by the incident site.  There is no speed indicated at the brown dot (incident site?)

Attached Files

#48 Ngotwalt

Ngotwalt

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:07 PM

Nick

Admittedly this is not the same type of equipment, but I guess the overall dynamics are comparable. 

Arguably, a train's ability to resist jackknifing in this type of situation can be life saving.

Overspeed in a corner with a Talgo train, my first though was of Compostela. There are definitely similarities between the derailments, and I think the probability of an overspeed derailment is absolutely growing. Was there PTC? If so why did it fail to prevent this derailment? Also the original poster who I didn't quote asked if the cars were short, or long and broken in half. That is a no, the train set itself obviously broke apart, the cars themselves seems to have remained largely intact.

Nick

Edited by Ngotwalt, 18 December 2017 - 01:09 PM.

Amtrak mileage, who knows? Approximately 250,000 miles. Keystones, Pennsylvanian, Three Rivers, Broadway Limited, Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited (NYC&BOS), Regionals, Acela Express, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Palmetto, Auto Train, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, California Zephyr, Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder (SEA&PDX), Coast Starlight, Cascades, Wolverines, the International, the Maple Leaf, Adirondack, Ethan Allen Express, Downeaster, and Surfliners.
Outside the US, VIA: The Canadian, The Ocean, The Corridor QC to Sarnia; Rocky Mountaineer; Western Europe: The Deerstalker (London-Inverness), IC125s, IC225s, Pendolinos, Eurostars, TGV, Thalys, CNL's Pollux (Amsterdam-Munich), Glacier Express, Ave (BCN-Madrid), RZD Moscow-Chita train, Astrakhan-Volgograd train.

#49 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,926 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

The set that derailed appears to be Mt. Adams. It is almost certain that it is a scratch.

Consist:

WDTX 1402
AMTK7903
AMTK 181

Edited by jis, 18 December 2017 - 01:17 PM.

#50 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,051 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:15 PM

Talgo cars are coupled together and share a single axle. They are not coupled as other Amtrak or freight cars are.

So it is very possible during a derailment that one car goes left while the next car goes right.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#51 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:18 PM

Nick

Overspeed in a corner with a Talgo train, my first though was of Compostela. There are definitely similarities between the derailments, and I think the probability of an overspeed derailment is absolutely growing. Was there PTC? If so why did it fail to prevent this derailment? Also the original poster who I didn't quote asked if the cars were short, or long and broken in half. That is a no, the train set itself obviously broke apart, the cars themselves seems to have remained largely intact.

Nick

Based on no current information whatsoever, I am reminded that a train crash can be a terrorist-type event, as when the Sunset Ltd was derailed west of Phoenix some 20 years ago.

The fact that this was the inaugural run of the new service, with attendant press and VIPs, contributes to my concern about that possibility.

None of the possible explanations for this tragedy are good in any way.

#52 TrackWalker

TrackWalker

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Retired Professional TrackWalker

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:20 PM

www.amtrak.com

Amtrak Cascades services impacted
9:30 a.m. PT

Individuals with questions about their friends and family on this train should call (800) 523-9101.

#53 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,926 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:26 PM

I am wondering where is the rest of the train?

There appears to be a number of cars on the other side of the bridge. The entire consist is some 13 cars plus the cab and the engine at the south end. Is the whole rest of the train derailed on the other side of the track which is not visible in the views being shown on TV because of difficulty accessing the area?

Yep, the entire train derailed right there and piled up. The Charger at the head of the train is on the ground on the other side of the bridge across I-5S. Visible from the Chopper. The Charger looks pretty badly beaten up too.

While a full investigation will establish the real cause, this looks suspiciously like an overspeed derailment on a curve.

This incidentally is the second Cascades derailment within a very short period of time.

Edited by jis, 18 December 2017 - 01:38 PM.

#54 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,701 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

I cannot imagine both the equipment and the crew not having been completely qualified and certified on the new route.  But going into an S-Curve at 81.1 mph is pretty high.  I guess no PTC in these guys, eh?

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#55 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

For what it's worth, I found this about the Talgo in India:

"Okay, how does this technology work?

"Wheels of conventional coaches are joined by an axle underneath. Talgo’s wheels are mounted in pairs but not joined by an axle — instead, they are fitted individually on the coach. As a result, on a curve, the outer wheel (which has to cover a longer distance than the inner wheel) and the inner wheel are free to rotate at speeds of their own, largely foreclosing the possibility of derailment even at higher speeds. Also, the design of the coach is such that it senses the curve and shifts its weight in a manner that manages the tilt." http://indianexpress...rmance-3029920/

Actually, a fixed axle is pretty good at preventing derailments. There is a famous video of Richard Feynmann explaining how it always seeks the center and is thus inherently stable.

The attraction of individual wheels is that you can provide low-level passageways between low-floor cars, leading to an overall low center of gravity which is an important component of the concept of passive tilting generally and Talgo trains in particular. Having separate wheels means there can be a minimal variation in the gauge which is an inherent disadvantage. This is to some extent compensated by some smart patented systems that Talgo invented applying pendular pressure to the wheels to force them to simulate the sinusoidal motion of fixed axles. But its a workaround. Further advantages are that the decoupling suppresses the propagation of vibrations caused by bad track geometry, and that the dynamics in which one coach guides the next smoothens the transition into and out of curves which reduces the tendency of wheels to climb the outer rail in tight curves and thus means the risk of derailamnt is reduced in those situations, which can be used to increase speeds.

#56 TrackWalker

TrackWalker

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Retired Professional TrackWalker

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

https://twitter.com/AlexRozierK5

I cannot state for certain but this may be a 30MPH curve.

#57 CraigDK

CraigDK

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, & Automobiles

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:36 PM

I am wondering where is the rest of the train?

There appears to be a number of cars on the other side of the bridge. The entire consist is some 13 cars plus the cab and the engine at the south end. Is the whole rest of the train derailed on the other side of the track which is not visible in the views being shown on TV because of difficulty ac

They are now showing aerial pictures... Most of the consist is on the other side.

#58 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:37 PM

Is the angled car a really short car? Or is it broken in two?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Talgo cars are shorter than your "regular" Amtrak car. I'm not certain which "angled car" you are referring to, but none of them look broken in half. Talgos share a wheel-set between two cars, so the car-end you can see (on the up-side-down car) looks a lot different than a normal car end.

peter

Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#59 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:37 PM

The Amtrak train tracking site has it at 81 MPH just before the derailment.  I do not know how much it would have slowed down by the incident site.  There is no speed indicated at the brown dot (incident site?)

Our local news is also reporting that the train was doing 81.1 mph and that the max speed allowed was 79.9 mph. Though, as a non-train-type engineer, I would have hoped that the 79.9 mph limit had a bit of tolerance, and 81.1 mph would be within it.
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#60 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,926 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:41 PM

77 injured are being brought to hospitals.

Current reports are 6 fatalities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users