Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Derailment of Cascades #501, DuPont WA, 2017-12-18

• Please log in to reply
503 replies to this topic

#21 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:13 PM

Based on the road closures and satellite views of the route, it appears the incident occurred at the southern end of the new routing just before it merges in with the old route (which likely will be the active route again until the wreck area is cleaned up and repaired).

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app
<p>Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-NYP

#22 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:15 PM

Can someone post a google map of the location? Someone stated the train was doing 81mph but the trestle is in a sharp S curve.

#23 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:19 PM

As near as I can tell, this is the scene of the accident:

Attached File  Scene.jpg   138.18KB   68 downloads

Edited by niemi24s, 18 December 2017 - 12:31 PM.

#24 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:20 PM

Seattle Times state 3 people dead.

#25 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:22 PM

attachicon.gifScene.jpg

Oh crap...........79 mph at that curve?

#26 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:26 PM

attachicon.gifScene.jpg

Which may have been allowed with Talgo equipment? That's what's going to be really tricky about this one, this was the first train through this area, was Talgo equipment incorrectly given a speed too high for this curve? The point of Talgo equipment is it can go faster around curves.

I'm not an expert at all, just thinking of the timing of this, will be a very interesting investigation.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#27 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:28 PM

Per Fox news, the fatalities are form the cars that went into the woods. Because of low count of 70 pax, it possible, hopeful no one was in the Talgo that was upside down on the freeway.

#28 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:28 PM

Paste this in to Google maps...
(47.0818761,-122.6745646)

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#29 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

You don't really believe every bit of hearsay you see here, do you?

#30 Milw6166

Milw6166

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 13 posts

The bridge is over the northbound lanes of I-5. (see the grafiti in photos) . The curve to the north of the southbound I-5 bridge is around 10 degrees which would definitely be slow speed and the junction with BNSF mainline is just ahead also a slower speed connection. So many factors to consider. I will just pray for all involved.

#31 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

If the pax count is so low, could it be possible for the conductor to put everyone into two or three cars to keep track of everyone?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1)WIL-WAS (1) PHL-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) WAS-WIL (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1) Cardinal NYP-CHI (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line, SEPTA commuter rail and subway, Staten Island RR

#32 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:37 PM

Yes sharp curve, if the GE is on tail. The over speed throws the train to the outside of the curve. Breaks apart and then two cars get knock to the inside of the curve and on to the highway below. Rear locomore is still pushing (by force of weight, and or the delay in Emergency brakes). The last few cars end up going down on inside of the curve on to the highway.

Ouch going to need a few more Ambulances.

With a report of VIP again, hope nobody was in the cab, distracted the engineer.

Got bring up the PTC issue. One think there a speed restrictions on this curve. PTC not yet working on this section?

#33 daybeers

daybeers

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

Does anyone know if they did do test runs on the new route? News outlets are saying they didn't and this first revenue service was actually the inaugural run, which I find hard to believe.

Amtrak travel so far: only 10,207 miles: Springfield Shuttle (12), Northeast Regional (25), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~830 miles), Metra, CTA, MTA, MBTA, Metro-North

#34 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:39 PM

attachicon.gifScene.jpg

Which may have been allowed with Talgo equipment? That's what's going to be really tricky about this one, this was the first train through this area, was Talgo equipment incorrectly given a speed too high for this curve? The point of Talgo equipment is it can go faster around curves.

I'm not an expert at all, just thinking of the timing of this, will be a very interesting investigation.

Surely they would have tested the equipment on the new line before inauguration?

#35 Bierboy

Bierboy

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, grandkids, alien abductions, navel gazing, long walks off short piers, riding tricycles...

Seattle Times reported at least three fatalities...

Amtrak just now reported 78 passengers and five crew onboard...

Edited by Bierboy, 18 December 2017 - 12:42 PM.

My vacation starts when I climb aboard the train and hear the whistle blow...
NP's Vista-Dome North Coast Limited in the early '60s....those were the days!
Cardinal Sleeper, CHI to WAS - July 2002; SW Chief Sleeper, GBB to LAX - June 2007; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to ESM - May 2009; California Zephyr Sleeper, GBB to EMY - October 2010; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to SEA - March 2011; Texas Eagle Sleeper (AGR), BNL to SAS - April 2013

#36 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts

Is the angled car a really short car? Or is it broken in two?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Edited by printman2000, 18 December 2017 - 12:40 PM.

#37 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:41 PM

KING 5 just stated (one of their guests, anyways) that there was extensive testing.

First revenue service wouldn't count test trains, anyways. It's true that this is the first revenue train, but there's been many test trains before they put it into revenue service.

#38 daybeers

daybeers

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:41 PM

KING 5 just stated (one of their guests, anyways) that there was extensive testing.

First revenue service wouldn't count test trains, anyways. It's true that this is the first revenue train, but there's been many test trains before they put it into revenue service.

That's what I thought.

Amtrak travel so far: only 10,207 miles: Springfield Shuttle (12), Northeast Regional (25), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~830 miles), Metra, CTA, MTA, MBTA, Metro-North

#39 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:42 PM

:(

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#40 TrackWalker

TrackWalker

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Retired Professional TrackWalker

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:42 PM

Does anyone know if they did do test runs on the new route? News outlets are saying they didn't and this first revenue service was actually the inaugural run, which I find hard to believe.

https://www.wsdot.wa...rackTesting.htm

Testing and Certification – The second phase of testing begins in February 2017. Amtrak trains will test the tracks and signals at speeds up to 79 mph between sunrise and sunset on weekends and during non-commuter hours on weekdays. Intersections being tested include Clover Creek Drive, North Thorne Lane, Berkeley Street, 41st Division Drive, and Barksdale Avenue (Steilacoom-DuPont Road), as well as all intersections currently on the Sounder line between the Tacoma Dome and Lakewood stations. These intersections will not be closed to traffic, but there may be delays to allow the trains to pass at varying speeds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users