Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Derailment of Cascades #501, DuPont WA, 2017-12-18

• Please log in to reply
537 replies to this topic

#1 Karl1459

Karl1459

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Antique Cars and Hot Rods, Firefighting, Bridge (the card game)

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

It appears that Cascades 501 derailed with cars off the overpass. This is on or just south of the new bypass. Too soon for reports of injuries. https://www.seattlet...5-near-olympia/

#2 Bierboy

Bierboy

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, grandkids, alien abductions, navel gazing, long walks off short piers, riding tricycles...

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:24 AM

Described as a "mass casualty" incident...could be bad...more pics in the link below --

http://komonews.com/...south-of-tacoma

Edited by Bierboy, 18 December 2017 - 11:26 AM.

My vacation starts when I climb aboard the train and hear the whistle blow...
NP's Vista-Dome North Coast Limited in the early '60s....those were the days!
Cardinal Sleeper, CHI to WAS - July 2002; SW Chief Sleeper, GBB to LAX - June 2007; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to ESM - May 2009; California Zephyr Sleeper, GBB to EMY - October 2010; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to SEA - March 2011; Texas Eagle Sleeper (AGR), BNL to SAS - April 2013

#3 Ngotwalt

Ngotwalt

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:28 AM

I don't think this train was supposed to be where it was. I think it was to go around a sweeping right hand curve just north of there, but someone left a switch open.  Train was on correct alignment, using Google Earth I found a different bridge with similar topography and graffiti, but it was the wrong location.

Nick

Edited by Ngotwalt, 18 December 2017 - 11:45 AM.

Amtrak mileage, who knows? Approximately 250,000 miles. Keystones, Pennsylvanian, Three Rivers, Broadway Limited, Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited (NYC&BOS), Regionals, Acela Express, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Palmetto, Auto Train, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, California Zephyr, Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder (SEA&PDX), Coast Starlight, Cascades, Wolverines, the International, the Maple Leaf, Adirondack, Ethan Allen Express, Downeaster, and Surfliners.
Outside the US, VIA: The Canadian, The Ocean, The Corridor QC to Sarnia; Rocky Mountaineer; Western Europe: The Deerstalker (London-Inverness), IC125s, IC225s, Pendolinos, Eurostars, TGV, Thalys, CNL's Pollux (Amsterdam-Munich), Glacier Express, Ave (BCN-Madrid), RZD Moscow-Chita train, Astrakhan-Volgograd train.

#4 Bierboy

Bierboy

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, grandkids, alien abductions, navel gazing, long walks off short piers, riding tricycles...

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:39 AM

AP now saying "injuries and casualties"....looking worse by the minute. And the local residents were NOT happy about the re-routing so Amtrak could utilize speeds up to 79 mph http://komonews.com/...d-train-service

Edited by Bierboy, 18 December 2017 - 11:42 AM.

Cardinal Sleeper, CHI to WAS - July 2002; SW Chief Sleeper, GBB to LAX - June 2007; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to ESM - May 2009; California Zephyr Sleeper, GBB to EMY - October 2010; Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to SEA - March 2011; Texas Eagle Sleeper (AGR), BNL to SAS - April 2013

#5 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:44 AM

Is the locomotive they are showing 181 the lead or trailing unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#6 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

Did they ever test talgo equipment on this line?
The Talgo cars are built quite different and wondering if that could have caused this.

Either way, this looks like a seriously tragic accident, and I just hope that somehow the cars that fell were not full of passengers.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#7 Bierboy

Bierboy

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

:( KIRO now reporting fatalities...

And the local Fox affiliate has some video of passenger cars on top of each other... 

http://q13fox.com/20...wn-near-dupont/

Edited by Bierboy, 18 December 2017 - 11:50 AM.

#8 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:47 AM

AP now saying "injuries and casualties"....looking worse by the minute. And the local residents were NOT happy about the re-routing so Amtrak could utilize speeds up to 79 mph http://komonews.com/...d-train-service

Looks like Lakewood residents will be screaming even louder, however this wasn't due to a trespasser.

Amtrak Miles: 203,395 (as of 9/21/16)

#9 lo2e

lo2e

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:50 AM

Is the locomotive they are showing 181 the lead or trailing unit?

I believe trailing - 501 is a southbound train, and 181 was on the northern end of the train.

#10 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:51 AM

Rail cars on the ground on both side of the track. The forces involved to make the train split and then have the lead cars land on the inside of the curve and the rest of the train side (fly) to the outside of the curve.

Would think the locomore picture is lead.

Report multiple rail authority types on board. Hopefully no riders in the cab.

Edited by Just-Thinking-51, 18 December 2017 - 11:57 AM.

#11 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:51 AM

There is picture of a Talgo car upside on  the freeway, the roof is collapsed. Not good, :( .

#12 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:54 AM

Rail cars on the ground on both side of the track. The forces involved to make the train split and then have the lead cars land on the inside of the curve and the rest of the train side (fly) to the outside of the curve.

Would think the locomore picture is lead, otherwise the laws of physics do not apply.

I think it is trailing. Based on new pics of one car upside down on freeway and angled car on top of it.

#13 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

Would think the locomore picture is lead.

One picture I see has at least one of those cars landing upside-down. That doesn't look very survivable. :(

Amtrak Miles: 203,395 (as of 9/21/16)

#14 Bierboy

Bierboy

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

wsp-1.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=770

#15 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:59 AM

Yes it going to be a bad one. Anyone know the forces required to break apart a Talgo trainset?

#16 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts

If 181 was trailing, then that means the train was in push mode, correct?

#17 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

The first pic............We hope for the best.

http://www.cnn.com/2...test/index.html

There was a local newscaster who was just on that train reporting on the new service and is shaken up as he got to know the pax and enjoyed the trip.

Someone on twitter stated they hit a truck, do not think that is true, is there a crossing in the area?

#18 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:00 PM

With this being the inaugural run on the new route, I'm reading reports that there were a lot of elected officials and transit managers who were on board.

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#19 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,926 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:04 PM

Some injuries but no fatalities among Interstate vehicles being reported now too.

There are now fatalities being reported on the train.

There were 83 people on board (78 passengers 5 crew). Full capacity is 250 or so.

Edited by jis, 18 December 2017 - 12:37 PM.

#20 Ngotwalt

Ngotwalt

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:05 PM

I have heard people say there was a charger leading, and that its somewhere on the other side of the bridge.

Nick

Amtrak mileage, who knows? Approximately 250,000 miles. Keystones, Pennsylvanian, Three Rivers, Broadway Limited, Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited (NYC&BOS), Regionals, Acela Express, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Palmetto, Auto Train, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, California Zephyr, Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder (SEA&PDX), Coast Starlight, Cascades, Wolverines, the International, the Maple Leaf, Adirondack, Ethan Allen Express, Downeaster, and Surfliners.
Outside the US, VIA: The Canadian, The Ocean, The Corridor QC to Sarnia; Rocky Mountaineer; Western Europe: The Deerstalker (London-Inverness), IC125s, IC225s, Pendolinos, Eurostars, TGV, Thalys, CNL's Pollux (Amsterdam-Munich), Glacier Express, Ave (BCN-Madrid), RZD Moscow-Chita train, Astrakhan-Volgograd train.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users