Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Missed getting dinner reservation

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Branden_*

Guest_Branden_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

Hi, I'm a fist timer, and I didn't realize when they were calling out dinner reservations that he was asking if we wanted a reservation and missed the chance to get one. What do I do now if I want to eat in the diner car?

#2 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:20 PM

If you are in a sleeper, ask your attendant to get a reservation for you.  If you are in coach, I would go to the diner and talk to the Lead Service Attendant (person in charge) and explain that you would like a reservation if any are still available.  If not available, ask if you can be placed on a waiting list.  

Amtrak miles: 227,873; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#3 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:11 PM

It's probably too late now, but normally they make a "last call" for anyone who was missed, with or without a reservation.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#4 bratkinson

bratkinson

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:13 PM

t's been my experience that the last seating is never full.  So at worst case, the LSA will tell you to come when they make last call.  The LSA may also have spots open in the other seatings as well and get you in.  If you're traveling alone, your chances of getting in any 'earlier' seating improves.

#5 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

In the off season you should be able to get a reservation, but busy times like summer on certain trains, every spoy is filled, so only hope would be on a wait list.  THE LSA or the SCA will come through the sleeping car and the SSL to take reservations, then to the coaches.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users