Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

An Epic Rail Journey: 9357 miles aboard Amtrak.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Adrouault

Adrouault

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:06 PM

Arrived in Chicago roughly an hour late on Friday. Stayed in an Airbnb and hung out with friends, and had some amazing meals, including tonight, my last night, at Le Cochon Volant, The flying pig. The Foie Gras was exceptional, and then I had a nice chat with a cabbie from Mumbai. Now at the Metropolitan lounge, waiting for the train back to ROC. 

#42 Adrouault

Adrouault

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:05 PM

Uneventful train ride back to Rochester, except for a strange SCA. Just peculiar, and a bit unfriendly. We arrived into ROC 30 mins late, which is basically on-time in my book.

While on the LSL last night, I got an email that informed me I had reached Amtrak Select status.

The trip is over.

The total mileage traveled was 10131 Miles. 16304 km. What an amazing adventure. 

Just to re-cap, the trip was NYP-MIA, Sanford to Lorton. STM-NYP-CHI-LAX-EMY-CHI-ROC-CHI-ROC

I had many meals aboard amtrak. 
24 in total,

8 Dinners

9 Breakfast

7 Lunches.

#43 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

Uneventful train ride back to Rochester, except for a strange SCA. Just peculiar, and a bit unfriendly. We arrived into ROC 30 mins late, which is basically on-time in my book.

While on the LSL last night, I got an email that informed me I had reached Amtrak Select status.

The trip is over.

The total mileage traveled was 10131 Miles. 16304 km. What an amazing adventure. 

Just to re-cap, the trip was NYP-MIA, Sanford to Lorton. STM-NYP-CHI-LAX-EMY-CHI-ROC-CHI-ROC

I had many meals aboard amtrak. 
24 in total,

8 Dinners

9 Breakfast

7 Lunches.

Wish I had realized it -- we were on the same train as far as BUF. Were you on 48 or 448? I was on 448, with Jana. I thought she was fine, just a little reserved.

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#44 Adrouault

Adrouault

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

Were you in the Sleeper 4820? 

I was in 4811. Did you go to breakfast?

#45 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

Were you in the Sleeper 4820? 

I was in 4811. Did you go to breakfast?

Yes, I always choose the 448, even though I was getting off at Buffalo this time, because I like to walk the train to the diner.

I did go to breakfast, fairly early. I almost always choose the Continental with oatmeal, because I like a simple breakfast.

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#46 Adrouault

Adrouault

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:13 PM

Too bad we didn't chat! 

#47 Rover

Rover

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:09 AM

My longest one-way travel on Amtrak was a trip I took back in 1981 from MSP-SEA-LA, totaling 3,176 miles.

I had airline privileges then, so I flew from DFW to MSP, and from LAX back to DFW. But... If I had gone on Amtrak from Dallas to Chicago to Seattle to LA to Dallas, then that trip would have added another 3,146 Amtrak miles totaling 6,322 for that entire route.

But I didn't have the time off from work, or the pocket change to take Amtrak all of that way!!

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

#48 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:04 PM

Posted to wrong topic in error. May be removed by ADMIN.

Edited by Tennessee Traveler, 21 February 2018 - 09:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users