Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Sightseer lounge on some Auto trains

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MDRailfan_*

Guest_MDRailfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:27 AM

I noticed that there are some sightseer lounge cars on the AT but not always. Anyone know why?

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,036 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:45 AM

The AT has a captive equipment pool that includes non-sightseer lounge cars. When they can't run, sometimes a sightseer will swap in.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#3 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:27 PM

I thought one sightseer was always in the pool after the derailment of 2002, which damaged two of the AT captive lounges.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#4 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:24 PM

I thought one sightseer was always in the pool after the derailment of 2002, which damaged two of the AT captive lounges.

I thought only one of the lounges was damaged back in 2002

Sent from my SM-G930P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1)WIL-WAS (1) PHL-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) WAS-WIL (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1) Cardinal NYP-CHI (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line, SEPTA commuter rail and subway, Staten Island RR

#5 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:31 PM

I thought only one of the lounges was damaged back in 2002

Sent from my SM-G930P using Amtrak Forum mobile app
14 super liners were damaged, only a sleeper and the dorm made it over without derailing.

#6 Guest_MDRailfan_*

Guest_MDRailfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

When the sightseer is running it looks like the sleeper's get it. With all the perks gone from the auto train, I guess that might be considered a perk at least for sleeping car passengers. I wonder what determines when it will run?

#7 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,206 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:47 AM

When the sightseer is running it looks like the sleeper's get it. With all the perks gone from the auto train, I guess that might be considered a perk at least for sleeping car passengers. I wonder what determines when it will run?

Mainly the non-availability of the standard Auto Train Lounge cars, which are rebuilt from Superliner I Diners.

BTW, all five Auto Train Lounges have been back in service for a long long time. The last of the two damaged Lounges (33100 and 33101) from the Crescent City derailment in 2002, was returned to service in 2004. Almost everything involved in the derailment (including Deluxe Sleepers W. Graham Claytor Jr., A. Philip Randolph and Palm Beach) have been back in service for quite a while now. Palm Beach came back last in 2011. AFAICT two Coaches (34125, 34126) , one Sleeper (New York 32100) and possibly a Diner(38052) are yet to return from the Crescent City derailment, though I do need to check on the Diner's disposition.

Edited by jis, 17 December 2017 - 11:16 AM.

#8 Guest_RichieRich_*

Guest_RichieRich_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

That's a great car. Yes...I've seen it maybe one time a year at best. I remember many years ago it had swivel seats that looked out sideways. They were changed out to add more seating.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users