Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

A Train (of thought) Across the USA

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Adrouault

Adrouault

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:05 PM

Just thought I'd share this travelogue I wrote on Medium.com

https://medium.com/@...sa-eea9bdc6046f

#2 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:51 AM

An interesting train of thoughts. I find facebook to be an echo chamber for me... rather than arguments, I seem to get similar cosy viewpoints to my own. I am often surprised, shocked, by how many folk have opposite views to my own, in the real world. Riding in coach on my last visit across America, I found it interesting to "play dumb", and ask apparently naive questions of my fellow passengers to stimulate debates on politics, building walls, guns, trumpery, etc.  I confess to having to request one woman to stop yelling at me, and return to her seat!  :D

Ed.

Edited by caravanman, 16 December 2017 - 03:55 AM.

#3 Adrouault

Adrouault

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:27 AM

Thank you. I didn't include it in the article, but I did get into a heated argument with a Leave voter from Yorkshire, while on the train.

#4 Woodcut60

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains; Amtrak; American Railroad History

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:43 AM

An interesting train of thoughts. I find facebook to be an echo chamber for me... rather than arguments, I seem to get similar cosy viewpoints to my own. I am often surprised, shocked, by how many folk have opposite views to my own, in the real world. Riding in coach on my last visit across America, I found it interesting to "play dumb", and ask apparently naive questions of my fellow passengers to stimulate debates on politics, building walls, guns, trumpery, etc.  I confess to having to request one woman to stop yelling at me, and return to her seat!  :D

Ed.

Haha, Ed, I've done that as well a few times in Election year, "playing dumb" and asking questions on American politics, etc. A nice conversation opener in the Dining Car. Love your story about the screaming lady.

Amtrak Routes Traveled: Lake Shore Limited, California Zephyr, San Joaquin, Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Cardinal, Crescent, Sunset Limited, Southwest Chief, Hiawatha, City of New Orleans, Texas Eagle, Heartland Flyer, Missouri River Runner, Lincoln, Wolverine, Northeast Regional, Acela Express, Downeaster, Vermonter, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Capitol Limited, Pennsylvanian, Amtrak Cascades, Maple Leaf, Adirondack, Ethan Allen Express, Keystone, Carolinian, Piedmont.
Other Routes in North America: Denali Star (Anchorage-Fairbanks, Alaska Railroad), The Ocean (Halifax-Montréal), Corridor (Montréal-Toronto), The Canadian (Toronto-Vancouver).
Amtrak: approx. 29,000 miles and 47 states; VIA Rail Canada: approx. 4,300 miles and eight provinces.

#5 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

Enjoyed your trip report. We completed a trip on the SWC from Albuquerque last fall and always have enjoyed our many trips on that train.  We try to avoid discussions of politics and religion at the dinner table since our views (somewhat left of center) conflict with some on the far right. Indigestion is usually forthcoming in those circumstances... :P 

Glad you had a nice trip across the USA and hope you will try some of the other Amtrak trains (California Zephyr--Coast Starlight-Empire Builder) on another visit. 

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:    86,889 miles and counting
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB - Empire Service Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users