Bedroom M??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kt1i

Train Attendant
I just got a confirmation for an upcoming trip on the auto train. I notice on the return trip that we are assigned to bedroom Car 5240 Room M. Where's that?

Second room from the end, on a Deluxe sleeper. The Autotrain exclusively, has these "Deluxe Sleeper cars". Unlike a typical Superliner sleeper, with 5 bedrooms at one end, and roomettes at the other end on the upper level, these type of cars have all bedrooms upstairs, lettered A-N. The downstairs is the typical 4 roomette, 1 H room, and 1 Family room. https://www.google.com/search?q=amtrak+sleeping+car+floor+plan&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=RMsyc4qrldJowM%253A%252C3t0o0cfXAPAwKM%252C_&usg=__8ajMOMBEwZIX0lpRLhAS_fVf1p8%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQi638s4zYAhUJ_4MKHYY-ACMQ9QEIPTAE#imgrc=RMsyc4qrldJowM:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a shot of the long hallway and the expanded coffee area in the deluxe sleeper,

IMG_0496_zpsqtnymfiq.jpg

P1000280_zpsq3j09cxx.jpg

The Auto Train has captive cars, and thus are the only Superliner sleepers that have only bedrooms on the entire upper level. That is the reason for the higher lettered rooms.
I suspect that my imagination's concept of "captive cars" is not the same as the technical meaning. [emoji4] Would you please clarify?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

The Auto Train has captive cars, and thus are the only Superliner sleepers that have only bedrooms on the entire upper level. That is the reason for the higher lettered rooms.
I suspect that my imagination's concept of "captive cars" is not the same as the technical meaning. [emoji4] Would you please clarify?

They only run on the Auto Train. Since the Auto Train is the only one that originates at each endpoint, cars used there stay there and don't intermix onto other trains.

They only run on the Auto Train. Since the Auto Train is the only one that originates at each endpoint, cars used there stay there and don't intermix onto other trains.
Got it. Thanks.

What room does the attendant have on the Auto Train full bedroom deluxe sleepers since I dont believe theres a roomette upstairs?

Back