Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

I may well be crazy... (9287 miles planned in 4 weeks)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Adrouault

Adrouault

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

Amtrak Travel planned. 9287 Miles in a 4 week period.

Silver Meteor NYP-MIA-NYP 12/25 and 01/3. Back in NY on 1 / 4. Then get on the train to LA on 1 / 6. Lake Shore to SWC.  Get to LA 1/9, and return east on 1/14 on the 422 TE via San Antonio, and then the 48 LSL to ROC.It’s going to be an epic voyage..

Assuming on time performance is good.

27h24m going to Miami

26:50 going back to New York

18h 19 minutes from CRT to CHI

5 H 15 layover

43 hour 15 minute on the SWC to LAX

61h 52m from LAX to CHI

7h38 layover

11 hour 20 minutes CHI to ROC.

7 days and 21 hours on the rails.

189 hours.

13 hours layover in Chicago round trip.

9 nights.

9 Breakfasts

5 Lunches

7 Diners

21 meals on amtrak

I did the SWC one way to CHI before, and then the LSL to ROC, so I've done some train travel. Just not this much at once.

I'm traveling solo this time, in a roomette the whole way.

So I'm either going to love it, which I think I will, or end up hating the train and never wanting to take it again. lol

#2 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:26 AM

I think your plan is fine, if that’s what you want to do. What I like is that you have arranged stays in each city of more than one night, which makes this sane. I have done extensive solo driving trips around this country and Canada, and while it can be tiring, end up marveling at everything I saw and places visited. Enjoy your trip. ( The menus have become somewhat better. )

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Edited by greatcats, 15 December 2017 - 10:29 AM.

I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#3 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

And be sure to wave when passing through Flagstaff!

I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#4 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:48 AM

After recuperating from this trip why not try the one shown below?  It's 4,000 miles longer yet each piece of track is different:

Attached File  MarathonTripe.jpg   47.81KB   24 downloads

The 19 days shown is the minimum.  If VIA Rail in Canada is included, there may be an even lengthier trip.  

#5 Shortline

Shortline

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:18 AM

Wow. I thought I was nuts for doing 4 consecutive nights! At the very least, I couldn't do that many amtrak meals.....I'd have to plan layover meals, and skip some on board.

Broadway Limited, Ann Rutledge, Misouri Mule, Misouri River Runner, San Diegan, Surfliner, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited, Crescent, Texas Eagle, Blue Water, Wolverine, Pennsylvanian, 3 Rivers, Hiawatha, Heartland Flyer, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Downeaster, City of New Orleans, City of New Orleans via Pullan Rail Journeys.

#6 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,031 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:04 PM

Back in my younger and dumber days, I used a 45 Day Unlimited North American Rail Pass to ride Amtrak and VIA Trains all over North America.

I had overnights in Chicago(2), New York City(3),Washington DC(2),Montreal,Ottawa(3),Toronto(3),Vancouver(2),Sonoma (3)and LA. ( stayed with friends,relatives and in hostels).

So I had 25 nights on LD Trains including a few upgrades to Roomettes, and a Section on the Canadian.

I'd do it again in a New,York Minute if my Finances allowed it!😍

Edited by Bob Dylan, 15 December 2017 - 12:05 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#7 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:12 PM

I used the old style Amtrak 15 day unlimited segments railpass to cover around 12,500 miles. About 10 years or so ago, you were almost certain to have a double seat to yourself in coach to sleep overnight.

Ed.

#8 Adrouault

Adrouault

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:28 PM

8 days in FL. 
2 nights in NY after FL.

5 days in LA, and then back.

It'll be intense! 

#9 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

I still approve. Treat yourself well on the layovers.

#10 Adrouault

Adrouault

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:51 PM

Just figured it out. When i include the Northeast Regional from Stamford to NYP, and the reverse, on the return from FL, that adds another 70 miles, so we're at 9357!

#11 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:52 PM

Wow. I thought I was nuts for doing 4 consecutive nights! At the very least, I couldn't do that many amtrak meals.....I'd have to plan layover meals, and skip some on board.

Yeah I can only take so many Amtrak meals.

Back in my younger and dumber days, I used a 45 Day Unlimited North American Rail Pass to ride Amtrak and VIA Trains all over North America.

I had overnights in Chicago(2), New York City(3),Washington DC(2),Montreal,Ottawa(3),Toronto(3),Vancouver(2),Sonoma (3)and LA. ( stayed with friends,relatives and in hostels).

So I had 25 nights on LD Trains including a few upgrades to Roomettes, and a Section on the Canadian.

I'd do it again in a New,York Minute if my Finances allowed it!

True that.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#12 Adrouault

Adrouault

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:26 PM

I'm assuming that the meals will be different on each train?

Southbound and then Northbound Silver Meter, LSL westbound, SWC westbound, SL east, TE, north, and then LSL East?

Is this correct?

#13 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:29 PM

No, do not assume that. It will be pretty much the same, except for the LSL with its diner lite. There may be a few variations, and some new menu items have appeared in recent months.

#14 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:36 AM

Well, in Jan, my wife and I are take the Meteor from WPB to Was, and then the Cardinal to Chicago and finally the SWC to Los Angeles. I guess that's 4 straight nights on AMTRAK but after one night in LA we board the Island Princess for a 15 day cruise through the Panama Canal and back to Ft. Lauderdale. The cruise should make up for the AMTRAK food!

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

#15 Adrouault

Adrouault

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:45 AM

JRR, do any of our dates line up?

#16 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:13 PM

No, I don’t think so. We are on the Meteor on Jan 4 & 5. The Cardinal on Jan 5 &6, and on the SWC Jan 6 - 8.

I think we just miss.

#17 Adrouault

Adrouault

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:46 PM

Wow. We're off by one day!

#18 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 17 December 2017 - 08:01 AM

Traveling via Amtrak can be a very special experience and when we are off the rails we miss it. We never do more than three overnights on a trip but if it makes you happy why not?  if you can afford to add a sleeper on some legs of your trip, we highly recommend it. Rail passengers are the only travelers that are offered an affordable rest in a bed overnight while traveling long distance. By rail you will see parts of the USA that most people will never see in their lifetime. We never fly and it is the only way that we travel LD. This trip should prove to be a great experience for you.

Edited by dlagrua, 17 December 2017 - 08:02 AM.

#19 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

I've specifically been known to get on a train and go around in a circle when I really need a break. If you're like that, you'll probably have fun.
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#20 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:53 PM

My longest trip, with my oldest granddaughter was AUS-SEA via LAX, two night layover, then SEA-BWI via CHI & WAS, three night layover, then WAS-SAS via NYC on Acela, and CHI.  Two weeks, 8 nights on the train.  Sightseeing in Seattle and visiting friends outside DC. Approximately 8K miles.  We did get tired of the same menu for over 20 meals in the DC.  We rode the SL, CS, EB, CL, NER, Acela, LSL, TE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users