Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Why has the Crescent been late into New Orleans lately?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DKpartyguy

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:23 PM

Greetings all,

I have been watching the train status of the Crescent lately and have noticed that seemingly every day it has arrived significantly late into NOLA, 1,2 and 3 hours plus late.

Anyone know the reason for the constant lateness?

I don't think I've seen it arrive on time since September.

#2 tricia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:57 PM

Perhaps the same black hole or Bermuda Triangle south of Atlanta that makes northbound trains typically an hour or more late at Toccoa or Greenville? Northbound, the delay is usually made up later in the night, so the Crescent arrives on time, or close to it, at Washington. Maybe not enough distance south of the black hole to allow the delay to be made up in time for an on-time arrival at NOL?

This is just guessing on my part, but northbound at least the problem has been chronic for a long time.

#3 crescent-zephyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:17 PM

While it's built into the timetable... it doesn't help that the Crescent has a very slow move into New Orleans. They always turn on the wye and back into the station. And this is like a 5 mph wye. I'm not sure how long it adds to the trip, but when the train is already an hour late it sure feels like it takes forever when you can see the station right outside the window and you are ready to get off. (Can you tell I'm speaking from experience?). 

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#4 west point

west point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:17 PM

Most of the delays occur between Meridian <> Birmingham  & Anniston <> ATL.  Often the CSX crossing just west of the ATL station has caused up to 1-1/2 hours for Crescent both directions.

#5 GaSteve

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:More trains !

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

It's not a new thing at all.

#6 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,141 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:31 PM

The train joined AA and has been trying to limit exposure.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#7 Hytec

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:07 PM

Several years ago KCS and NS jointly spent over $300 Million to upgrade the KCS Meridian Speedway between Shreveport, LA and Meridian, MS. As a result, CSX, KCS, and NS moved their Dallas/Atlanta traffic that had been running through New Orleans up to the Speedway, saving at least a half day's transit time. That created a choke point on the NS single track between Meridian, Tuscaloosa, and Birmingham where #19 and #20 are put into the hole two, three, even four times each run for freight traffic. The last two times I rode just this fall, we had to back out of sidings because there were freights ahead of us on the same siding. I rode #20 on Thanksgiving Day in the hopes there would be less freight traffic due to the holiday, but we were still over an hour down into Atlanta due to freights.

The only way this can be solved is for NS to double-track their line between MEI and BHM, which I doubt will happen.

Edited by Hytec, 17 December 2017 - 03:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users