Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

UP Union Pacific Generic Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:32 AM

I know about Amtrak's #5 & #6's daily usage of the UP line at Truckee, California.

What I was curious about, is a guesstimate of how many other trains, on average go across the Truckee section each 24 hour period.

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

#2 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:31 AM

I think it's in the neighborhood of 100 trains every 24 hours, and about the same for the Feather River route.

IIRC there is a web cam near the Truckee station.

That part of UP that goes through Truckee is known as the Roseville subdivision which starts/ends back in Sparks, NV.

The Canyon subdivision goes along the Feather River. 

Edited by KmH, 13 December 2017 - 11:41 AM.

1963 U. S. Congress - underground trolley system Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) Old Tucson steam train (1969)
Amtrak - California Zephyr Coast Starlight  Southwest Chief Sunset Limited Texas Eagle  Illinois Zephyr
. . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far. 7,320 more miles booked OTM - OKJ - EMY - OTM March 2018.

#3 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:10 PM

I think it's in the neighborhood of 100 trains every 24 hours, and about the same for the Feather River route.

IIRC there is a web cam near the Truckee station.

That part of UP that goes through Truckee is known as the Roseville subdivision which starts/ends back in Sparks, NV.

The Canyon subdivision goes along the Feather River. 

Okay, thanks. So, the line is averaging about 2 trains per hour, each way.

I do watch the Truckee cam. I wish we could take up an offering to get them to upgrade to full HD for that cam.

When I tune in to see the Amtrak, I sometimes see a freight going before it by 5 or 10 minutes.

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

#4 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:38 AM

I believe 100 trains per day per route is a very high estimate.  I'd be inclined to say 20-25 per day per route,

#5 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,510 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:22 AM

I believe 100 trains per day per route is a very high estimate.  I'd be inclined to say 20-25 per day per route,

20-25 seems low. That would be one train every two hours in each direction. 100 trains is roughly two trains per hour in each direction. A net of four trains per hour. This may be bit on the high side but probably closer to what it is in reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users