A Couple of Questions about Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm riding in a sleeper (roomette) for the first time in a few days. I'll be getting on the Texas Eagle in St. Louis and riding to Maricopa, then the shuttle to Phoenix. I got a hotel near the Phoenix airport for the first night, as we'll get in late at night (even if on time) and I figure a quick taxi/Lyft would be best, then move on to the hotel in Scottsdale I'll be at for a few days the next day.

I am scheduled to get on the train in St. Louis at 7:55 PM. Will I have an opportunity to eat in the dining car for dinner, or should I plan on eating before boarding?

My understanding is that the sleeper car attendants are changed in San Antonio, so I'll want to make sure to tip the first one before SAS, right?

I also will have a roomette for a trip in a few months on the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago. Do they switch out the SCAs mid-trip on the Empire Builder as well, or will I have the same one to Chicago?

you will have the same attendant from Seattle to Chicago on the Empire Builder. I bet that Bob Dylan can answer your Texas Eagle questions.

you will have the same attendant from Seattle to Chicago on the Empire Builder. I bet that Bob Dylan can answer your Texas Eagle questions.
Thanks Penny! I'll give it a shot.
IF the Eagle is fairly close to on time into STL from Chicago, St.Louis is Last Call for Dinner in the Diner @8PM. ( CCC)

Your SCA, if a good one, should have a Rez for you and tell you to go directly to the Diner upon boarding.

Other tips: The Sleeping Car waiting Room in the STL Station is next to where the Coach Passengers line up in the Hall close to where the Escelators and Elevators take you down to the Platforms.

It's nothing fancy but has Clean Restrooms, sometimes Bottled Water and Big Screen TV.You need to check in with the Amtrak Agent to use it. You can leave your Luggage there if you are waiting, its more comfortable than the benches in the Lobby which is shared with Greyhound.

The Small Cafe in the Station has limited Menu of KFC and Pizza Hut, and is really Starvation City! Bring a snack and drink with you to tide you over till you eat Dinner.

The Conductor is supposed to come to the Lounge and scan your ticket when its time to line up for boarding, but they don't always show up. Be ready when its time to board!

If you have any other questions about the Eagle/Sunset Route please ask, this is my home train, and I've ridden hundreds of times both when the Eagle was a MoPac Train and as Amtrak!

Last edited by a moderator:
This time of the year, the TE is generally close to on time into STL unless Winter throws a wrench in the works. Maricopa is a short platform so you will be the last stop, first will be for SL Sleeper and Coach passengers. One time, the 2130 Car was the third stop.

I am scheduled to get on the train in St. Louis at 7:55 PM. Will I have an opportunity to eat in the dining car for dinner, or should I plan on eating before boarding?

My understanding is that the sleeper car attendants are changed in San Antonio, so I'll want to make sure to tip the first one before SAS, right?

I also will have a roomette for a trip in a few months on the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago. Do they switch out the SCAs mid-trip on the Empire Builder as well, or will I have the same one to Chicago?
St. Louis is the last call for dinner southbound unless the train is very late. Plan on dinner on board, but do head to the dining car without delay as soon as you check in with your SCA and your tickets are scanned.

Sleeping car attendants on this route do change in San Antonio. If you feel the Texas Eagle SCA has earned a tip, the most appropriate time to hand it to him would be as he makes your room up for sleeping as you approach San Antonio.

The Empire Builder SCAs are with the train from terminal to terminal, both ways. They do not change en route.

The Empire Builder SCAs are with the train from terminal to terminal, both ways. They do not change en route.
Where would they change? Rugby, ND? Wolf Point, MT? I guess Minneapolis but what's the point of having people work for a few hours between CHI-MSP? I'm not as familiar with crew changes on the western trains but I'd have to guess DEN is a logical crew change point for the CZ and Albuquerque would be for the SWC.

I've used the unattended lounge in STL many times. Go to the counter and show your ticket, they'll give you the door code. It is nice, quiet and comfortable with couches, TV, a clean private restroom (a godsend in STL!) and usually bottled water. It will be the last door on the right before you exit outside to board. When they begin boarding the coach passengers will be lined up to the left. Just approach the Attendant (they'll likely see you exiting the lounge) and they'll scan you in and/or let you pass.

The reason the SCA changes in SAS is that technically it is another train.

Yes train 421 and 422 between CHI and LAX, but between CHI and SAS, the 1 sleeper and 1 coach is on train 21 and 22 which runs from CHI to SAS. Between SAS and LAX, those 2 cars are attached to train 1 and 2, which operate between LAX and NOL. If I am not mistaken, trains 21/22 is crewed out of CHI, while trains 1/2 are crewed out of LAX.

The reason the SCA changes in SAS is that technically it is another train.

Yes train 421 and 422 between CHI and LAX, but between CHI and SAS, the 1 sleeper and 1 coach is on train 21 and 22 which runs from CHI to SAS. Between SAS and LAX, those 2 cars are attached to train 1 and 2, which operate between LAX and NOL. If I am not mistaken, trains 21/22 is crewed out of CHI, while trains 1/2 are crewed out of LAX.
Couple of years ago on the TE from LAX to CHI, our LAX to SAS SCA changed hats and became a coach attendant from SAS to FTW before she went off duty.

One SCA said they did that since the SL is not a daily train. This gave them the hours (LAX late start day 1 to FTW afternoon Day 3), (FTW afternoon day 1 - LAX early morning Day 3). Problem the SCA complained about was no rest when they stepped off 22 in FTW and immediately stepped onto 21.

According to my SCA on #421/#422 in October, the LAX Based #422/#421 SCAs that stay on the Train from SAS-FTW and return FTW-SAS on #21, now layover for a night in FTW with the T&E Crews that work the Eagles between SAS and FTW( AUS and FTW for the Engineers).

FYI- #21, when on time, usually leaves FTW Daily heading to SAS Before #22 arrives into FTW. Hence the layover in FTW for the LAX based SCA.

Back