Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

SF direct to NYC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 denmarks

denmarks

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Interests:Computers and Travel

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:06 PM

Is it possible for a Superliner car to travel from Chicago to New York City? If so why is there no direct train from SF to NYC?

Dennis M. Marks
32,992 miles on Amtrak

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,474 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:13 PM

No. Superliners do not run in the east (except on the CL and AT and occasionally the Cardinal) because they are too tall for the tunnels in Baltimore and the entrances to NYP and (when used) NYG.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#3 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

In addition to the height issues, Superliners are not accessible from high-level platforms. This limits them from using most Northeast Corridor stations as well as some stations on the Keystone and Empire Corridors.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app
<p>Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-NYP

#4 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,071 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

Beyond that, a one seat ride to San Francisco is kind of pointless. The advantage to a one seat ride reduces greatly as trip length increases.

Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#5 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,501 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

And it adds enormously to schedule risk in the face of unpredictable events along a longer route.

#6 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:12 PM

Not to mention issues of equipment maintenance and servicing.

That said, Amtrak did experiment with through-routing the Capitol Limited with one of the western trains (I think it was the SW Chief), but that didn't last very long.  The negatives outweighed the positives of that arrangement.

#7 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:58 PM

Not to mention issues of equipment maintenance and servicing.

That said, Amtrak did experiment with through-routing the Capitol Limited with one of the western trains (I think it was the SW Chief), but that didn't last very long.  The negatives outweighed the positives of that arrangement.

Yes, the CL-SWC (http://timetables.or...0511n&item=0042). Only the CL would work since the CL is SL while the LSL and TR (still existed) is/was Viewliner.

There was also CL-SS/SM back in the early 90's (http://timetables.or...1027n&item=0012).

Finally there was the transcontinental  LAX-MIA SL (http://timetables.or...1030n&item=0030)

The full SL back then was 3066 miles. The current TE from CHI-LAX is now 2728 miles. LSL+SWC or LSL+CZ  would be quite a bit over 3000 miles but if 2728 miles is reasonable now why isn't 3300 miles?  Or do you not consider 2728 miles reasonable? Is there a magic number you consider reasonable?

I think by distance a 2000 mile one seat ride is reasonable since the SWC and CZ are that distance so NEC-Texas without a change of trains in Chicago is reasonable and hopefully Crescent Star will become a reality. Also, you should be able to do a one seat ride between Florida and Texas (or even a same day transfer in New Orleans). How about being able to travel between anywhere in Florida and Dallas (or New Orleans and Dallas or Houston and Dallas) without taking a bus or staying overnight in San Antonio? 

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#8 railbuck

railbuck

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

I wouldn't consider a one seat ride over 2000 miles (or two nights) to be reasonable.  Now a one roomette ride, sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users