Train 422, train change at San Antonio?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just remember the direction to the Diner will be opposite next morning after the westbound SAS stop. I always enjoy watching folks come through the through Sleeper and wonder why there are rails disappearing to the east where the Diner was yesterday
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on what kind of Sleeper you are. Since the last stop before SAS is Del Rio @1am and #2/#422 doesn't arrive until 5amish in SAS, you may be awake before the train arrives @ Sunset Station.

Lots of people get off/on in SAS and the SCA changes, so there will be noise and people moving around.

The switching takes place fairly rapidly (and you will probably feel the bumps and movement if you are a light sleeper) since #2 goes on to NOL @ 630am and the #22/#422 rolls out @ 7am.

Breakfast in the Diner will begin about 730am after leaving SAS, First Come/First Served, with Last Call being @ Austin.

Any reason for SAS for San Antonio? I would think SAT would make more sense. Of course I would think HOU would be the obvious abbreviation for Houston and not HOS too.
You're right,but unlike LA which has LAX for both the Airport and Union Station, San Antonio International Airport is SAT, Houston Hobby is HOU and Houston's GHW Bush Intl. is IAH.

When I was on 422 once, I hoped to see what happened during the switching. I woke up to some movement, so I looked out the window to see where we would be placed during the switching. But (like the Energizer Bunny) we kept going and going and going and ...! We were leaving SAS.

Except for the times I switched in SAS from 1 (coming from NOL) to 22 (going to CHI), I have always slept thru SAS and have not been inside the station.

I always sleep through the switching. This summer the way they did the switching the AC stayed on enough that the room did not heat up like it had previous summers which woke up the upper bunk.

The one time I was on the 422 the switching woke me up and I was fascinated watching the process. When it was over I went right back to sleep.

Just remember the direction to the Diner will be opposite next morning after the westbound SAS stop. I always enjoy watching folks come through the through Sleeper and wonder why there are rails disappearing to the east where the Diner was yesterday
default_smile.png
When you board in LAX your sleeper will be the last car on the train.

The Sunset Limited consist generally goes as follows (front-to-back) :

Baggage, Trans-dorm, Sleeper, Sleeper, Diner, Lounge, Coach, Coach Baggage, Eagle Coach, Eagle Sleeper (2230)

The Texas Eagle consist is (front-to-back):

Baggage, Trans-dorm, Sleeper (2230), Diner, Lounge, Coach, Coach Baggage

Bear in mind that the attendant will switch at San Antonio, so remember to tip he/she before that night.

I don't know how 'seasonal' it is, but every time I've taken the Texas Eagle/Sunset in car 421 it's always had a St Louis coach at the back end CHI-STL. Until a couple years ago, the through sleeper used to be at the back end all the way STL-LAX. I don't know why they changed the order, but now the through sleeper is directly ahead of the diner as far as SAS, and on the rear to LAX. It's the same way going back.

As far as sleeping through the switching at SAS, sometimes I sleep through, other times I'm outside watching. It sort of depends on when we get to SAS, if I'm still up and around, etc. Interestingly, there seems to be some variability in switching at SAS. I've been aboard when the through sleeper and coach were at the rear of the Texas Eagle were pulled off not too long after arriving SAS, wyed, and then held 'out of station' until #2 arrived and it was added then. This past May, I'm not sure of the switching maneuver involved, but how they managed to get the through coach and sleeper back together at SAS I don't know. But...somehow, in the process, the sleeper was not wyed, so I woke up travelling head-first in my roomette rather than feet-first when I went to bed. I usually make up my room myself, as I have medical issues that require I make into a chaise-lounge and use my suitcase with a couple of blow-up pillows as filler between the seats. So, when I got up, I threw the bedding up top and when I went to take a nap, made it up facing forward. I'm sure the car attendant would be more than willing to make your bed facing 'forward' whenever you please. Even more interesting was going the other way this past May. After they switched the cars from #2 to #22 and ultimately boarded passengers, they wyed the entire train BEFORE leaving town! Maybe they came in late, maybe a switch crew was unavailable, who knows? But by the time we left SAS station the 2nd time that morning, we were already down 20+ minutes as I recall.

Any reason for SAS for San Antonio? I would think SAT would make more sense. Of course I would think HOU would be the obvious abbreviation for Houston and not HOS too.
There were originally two separate Amtrak stations in San Antonio and also in Houston. In San Antonio, it was the present station on the Southern Pacific line - S[an] A[ntonio] - S[outhern Pacific] which served/serves the Sunset Limited and the old Missouri Pacific station which used to serve the Inter-American. I'm not sure of its Arrow code but it was probably SAM or SAU. In Houston, there was/is the present HOS - HO[uston] - S[outhern Pacific] and the former Houston Union Station, which served the Texas Chief/Lone Star until operations were consolidated at HOS. I believe the Arrow code for Houston Union Station was in fact HOU, but I'm not certain. That station has now been incoporated into Minute Maid Park.

I don't know how 'seasonal' it is, but every time I've taken the Texas Eagle/Sunset in car 421 it's always had a St Louis coach at the back end CHI-STL. Until a couple years ago, the through sleeper used to be at the back end all the way STL-LAX. I don't know why they changed the order, but now the through sleeper is directly ahead of the diner as far as SAS, and on the rear to LAX. It's the same way going back.

As far as sleeping through the switching at SAS, sometimes I sleep through, other times I'm outside watching. It sort of depends on when we get to SAS, if I'm still up and around, etc. Interestingly, there seems to be some variability in switching at SAS. I've been aboard when the through sleeper and coach were at the rear of the Texas Eagle were pulled off not too long after arriving SAS, wyed, and then held 'out of station' until #2 arrived and it was added then. This past May, I'm not sure of the switching maneuver involved, but how they managed to get the through coach and sleeper back together at SAS I don't know. But...somehow, in the process, the sleeper was not wyed, so I woke up travelling head-first in my roomette rather than feet-first when I went to bed. I usually make up my room myself, as I have medical issues that require I make into a chaise-lounge and use my suitcase with a couple of blow-up pillows as filler between the seats. So, when I got up, I threw the bedding up top and when I went to take a nap, made it up facing forward. I'm sure the car attendant would be more than willing to make your bed facing 'forward' whenever you please. Even more interesting was going the other way this past May. After they switched the cars from #2 to #22 and ultimately boarded passengers, they wyed the entire train BEFORE leaving town! Maybe they came in late, maybe a switch crew was unavailable, who knows? But by the time we left SAS station the 2nd time that morning, we were already down 20+ minutes as I recall.
In August 2015 on 422 LAX to CHI, a coach was coupled to the rear of our 2230 sleeper in STL for the rest of the trip to CHI. Up to that point, we had been on the rear of both the SL and the TE. I believe this might be a seasonal (summer) practice.

I normally stay aboard and listened on the scanner while the switching is done. When complete, I'll get off and wander around close to the train before the TE heads out of SAS.

There were originally two separate Amtrak stations in San Antonio and also in Houston. In San Antonio, it was the present station on the Southern Pacific line - S[an] A[ntonio] - S[outhern Pacific] which served/serves the Sunset Limited and the old Missouri Pacific station which used to serve the Inter-American. I'm not sure of its Arrow code but it was probably SAM or SAU. In Houston, there was/is the present HOS - HO[uston] - S[outhern Pacific] and the former Houston Union Station, which served the Texas Chief/Lone Star until operations were consolidated at HOS. I believe the Arrow code for Houston Union Station was in fact HOU, but I'm not certain. That station has now been incoporated into Minute Maid Park.
One other duplex-stop which comes to mind: Galesburg, IL. The present station on the former Burlington line is GBB; the station formerly used by the Southwest Chief (on the former Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe line) was GBA.

Thank you all. Is there any time in Austin to step off the train? Or a quick stop?
Austin is a "Fresh Air/Smoke stop" and Engineer Change Point.
Tip: Look for the Trestle Crossing Lady Bird Lake just around the Bend South of the Station. It was built in 1881 and is the oldest continuously used trestle on this Route.Good view of the downtown High Rises.

Just North of the Station,also around the bend, there is "Street Running" between Lanes of the MO-PAC Expressway ( aka Loop #1), the Route of the old Missouri Pacific thru Austin.

There are usually quite a few passengers boarding and detraining and luggage being loaded/unloaded by the agent.

Depending on the above and the OTP, the dwell time can range from 10-20 minutes, but I suggest you stay trainside and not go into the small Station, next train in 24 Hours as the Conductors say!

The Sleeper(s) on #22/#422(Northbound) will be a fairly long walk twoards the front of the train, while #21/#421( Southbound) will have them close to the Station during the stop.

I was told by our SCA this summer that the Sleeper on the TE is behind the Trans/Dorm so during the switching process, it can stay powered about 90% of the time, which is important in the summer. I think the way they do the switching now, the sleeper isn't on the siding while other movements are made. I did notice this year that the AC stayed on most of the time and the room stayed comfortable compared to other years when it became extremely warm with outside temp of 90.

I was told by our SCA this summer that the Sleeper on the TE is behind the Trans/Dorm so during the switching process, it can stay powered about 90% of the time, which is important in the summer. I think the way they do the switching now, the sleeper isn't on the siding while other movements are made. I did notice this year that the AC stayed on most of the time and the room stayed comfortable compared to other years when it became extremely warm with outside temp of 90.
This is true, but there still are days,mostly on the Winter, when the SAS switching crew will hook the #422 Sleeper to the end of #22. This happened on my last trip on #422 in October.

One other duplex-stop which comes to mind: Galesburg, IL. The present station on the former Burlington line is GBB; the station formerly used by the Southwest Chief (on the former Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe line) was GBA.
I believe this is the reason that the Amtrak schedules for the SWC and CZ at Galesburg still have a note saying "S. Seminary St.", denoting the BN station. The other was N. Broad St. for the Santa Fe.

The current Amtrak station is at the start/end of the Ottumwa & Mendota subdivisions.

The Broad Street station location is on the Chillicothe subdivision, the original route of the AT& SF's trains from/to Chicago.

For years Galesburg had 2 Amtrak stations. When the Burlington Northern merged with the AT&SF (mid-1990s) they started running the AT&SF trains on the Chicago and Mendota subs instead of on the Chillicothe sub out of Chicago. To accomplish that BNSF had to build the Cameron Connector, after which the Broad St. station was torn down.

I read an article that the San Antonio City was remodeling the old Great Northern Station for bus service and possibly Amtrak in the future. This would put Amtrak on the opposite side of downtown in a new facility, though the timeline seems cloudy at best for remodel/rebuild phase that addresses passenger rail.

Didn't San Antonio's last Mayor and City Council pass a City Ordinance prohibiting money being spent in any type of Rail in the City, whether Light Rail,Commuter or Amtrak operations.

And I am very familiar with the old Great Northern Station ( ex MoPac also) since I boarded and detrained many times there.

It was completely restored by the Credit Union that owned it and is a Beautiful and Historic Station.

It's in a rough part of town on the near Westside, mostly Industrial,with the Jail and Police Station located close by, and lots of street people and Gang Bangers in the area.

The Southbound Texas Eagle passes it during its Looooong,Slow loop on the Ex-Mopac/Katy tracks around the City on its nightly trip from the Northside location of the Airport to the Eastsise Sunset Station by the downtown Alamo Dome.

This move could probably cut an hour off the run time of the Eagles in Sam Antonio, but wouldn't help the Sunset Ltd. which comes from Houston and El Paso on the ex- SP tracks, and the Northbound Eagle which doesn't pass this Station as it heads North each morning..

Back