Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak ending certain discounts in 2018?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,475 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:56 PM

Kids were never free.

In your scenario, the amount paid doesn't change.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#22 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

Why is It children are discounted at all? They take up the same amount of seat space as an adult.

Because it is one wallet buying 4 (or more) tickets.

Scenario 1: 2 adults pay, 2 kids free. Amtrak gets 2 fares

Scenario 2: 2 adults pay, 2 kids pay. Trip to expensive, Amtrak gets 0 fares.

Airlines don't seem to have this problem. So I don't think Amtrak will see an downturn. Plus those adults where always paying 50% off for those kids, so there's no price change.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#23 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,144 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:57 PM

Why is It children are discounted at all? They take up the same amount of seat space as an adult.

Because it is one wallet buying 4 (or more) tickets.

Scenario 1: 2 adults pay, 2 kids free. Amtrak gets 2 fares
Scenario 2: 2 adults pay, 2 kids pay. Trip to expensive, Amtrak gets 0 fares.

Actually the situation is 2 adults pay, 2 kids pay half, Amtrak gets three fares for four seats.

Frankly you are making a better argument for not having kids than for Amtrak charging less for them.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#24 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:06 PM

Hmmm.  If this happens, my points will increase in effective redemption value.  My girlfriend always has the disability discount, but of course it doesn't apply to points.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#25 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:51 PM

I have been traveling with the senior discount for me and the children's discount for one or more of my granddaughters.  Usually, I was going over night so would be in a roomette or bedroom.  More than once I took one of the girls because she was half price.  Had she been full fare, I might not have included her on the trip.  In my case, Amtrak misses out on the child fare, the seat she would be occupying can not be sold to someone else.  Therefore Amtrak misses out on a few dollars, but has me pay more, so they are close to even.  Now the trips where I took two girls, I would not take without the discounts.

#26 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:42 PM

All the conversation here is about one simple and basic thing. Fares are going up but it may not be a good move.  Since much of Amtrak's ridership are older people and seniors, eliminating discounts could have a negative effect and result in lower revenue  The reason why you give discounts is to attract business. Many seniors are on a fixed income and make purchase decisions based partly on the discount. Couples with children are given incentives to take them on a trip as they don't have to pay full fare for them. Without the discount incentives, ridership could be affected. I guess that we will see.

You've been saying the same thing your entire time here, and the dire consequences have never come to pass. Keep it up, maybe one day you'll be right.

end-is-near-simpsons.png

Yes I have  been saying that you can only raise fares to a certain point before revenue goes downhill. Some routes will surely still grow while others will face the effect of drastically changing demographics. From my observations; the audience for the LD trains are mostly middle age and senior citizens both of whom would be concerned with fares being the determining factor for their trip. The changing demographics during the next 10 years.will not be working in Amrak's favor.  Do you disagree?

#27 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,475 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:45 PM

Given that ridership has increased for the entire time you’ve been banging this drum? Yes. You’ve demonstrably wrong to date.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#28 RichieRich

RichieRich

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:03 PM

Have you ever monitored the admission at Disney? They have yet to hit a price people won't pay. The $10, i mean $15, I mean $20 parking goes up every year too. Disney should really try $150/day Park admission. They'll pay it! Never a price point yet that will turn people away as-witnessed-by the lines. !!! Transportation is the same thing. The newbies have no idea what Amtrak "used" to offer in amenities...hence...they will never miss it! Us old-timers lament the days of wine & cheese, wine with (cooked) dinner, non-plastic, non-paper coffee cups, cookie trays. fruit bowls, snack bowls, etc, etc.

#29 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,144 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:28 PM

You can raise fairs until it actually begins to have an affect on travelers. Which so far it hasn't. I don't think we are near the tipping point, either. The travel portion of the average travelers expenses is rarely a massive part of it. Whats an extra few hundred bucks on a few thousand dollar trip?

Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#30 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:40 PM

From my observations; the audience for the LD trains are mostly middle age and senior citizens both of whom would be concerned with fares being the determining factor for their trip. The changing demographics during the next 10 years.will not be working in Amrak's favor.  Do you disagree?

I'd argue that the crowd most worried about the cost of fare would be students and young adults. I've seen plenty of students and young adults in coach on the train, and the removal of the student discount will impact that crowd the most. I'm honestly a bit surprised Amtrak is removing it, although with it not applying on saver fares anyways the impact is a bit muted. If anything, middle age and senior citizens would be less likely to be concerned with fares going up than students or young people.

Frankly, I think it's a slap in the face to Amtrak's next generation of riders that seniors are keeping a 10% discount while it's being removed for students.

#31 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,475 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:10 AM

Frankly, I think it's a slap in the face to Amtrak's next generation of riders that seniors are keeping a 10% discount while it's being removed for students.

That’s a good point I hadn’t considered. That said, the Senior discount is easy to do since it is only age-based. “Student” is a lot more difficult to define and verify, and perhaps Amtrak has just decided that it isn’t worth the hassle.
Posted Image

#32 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:26 AM

One important question worth asking, but probably impossible to answer accurately given the information published; how many passengers actually use the student (or any other) discount, and to what degree would use of a different fare (like saver) be possible, making the impact minimal?  As an example, I use the "I Love NY" discount on many of my trips, its use precludes the use of any other discount, but it is as good or better anyway. Senior and handicapped/disabled discounts are a part of pricing in many businesses, often mandated by law (public transit).

#33 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,586 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:31 AM

One important question worth asking, but probably impossible to answer accurately given the information published; how many passengers actually use the student (or any other) discount, and to what degree would use of a different fare (like saver) be possible, making the impact minimal?  As an example, I use the "I Love NY" discount on many of my trips, its use precludes the use of any other discount, but it is as good or better anyway. Senior and handicapped/disabled discounts are a part of pricing in many businesses, often mandated by law (public transit).

I use the disability discount, when the saver fare is not available.  I had just reached the age for senior discount when they decided to move the goal post.  :o

#34 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:00 AM

Delta just imposed a baggage fee for international flights for the cheapie seats. American Air is cutting out seat space. Airlines constantly charge more and give less. People continue to fly no matter how they are treated and every time the cost goes up. You want or need to get there; you pay the price. All you can do is look for a deal. Perhaps Amtrak will offer more deals.

#35 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:51 AM

Maybe we are about to see a new Marketing strategy for the new CEO, one more in line with the airlines.

#36 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:56 AM

From my observations; the audience for the LD trains are mostly middle age and senior citizens both of whom would be concerned with fares being the determining factor for their trip. The changing demographics during the next 10 years.will not be working in Amrak's favor.  Do you disagree?

I'd argue that the crowd most worried about the cost of fare would be students and young adults. I've seen plenty of students and young adults in coach on the train, and the removal of the student discount will impact that crowd the most. I'm honestly a bit surprised Amtrak is removing it, although with it not applying on saver fares anyways the impact is a bit muted. If anything, middle age and senior citizens would be less likely to be concerned with fares going up than students or young people.

You mean mommy won't pay the extra 15% for their child to come home? And lets be real, as a former college student, no matter how poor some of the students that I knew were, they still managed to find money for beer, cigarettes, or weed.

#37 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:01 AM

College students find a way to get the money they need and to get to where they want to go.  Many used the discount because it was there, usually the discount didn't make or break the trip.

#38 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

You mean mommy won't pay the extra 15% for their child to come home? And lets be real, as a former college student, no matter how poor some of the students that I knew were, they still managed to find money for beer, cigarettes, or weed.

As long as we're going all anecdotal, I knew college students who were short of money and didn't buy beer, cigarettes, or weed—and mommy didn't pay for them to come home.

#39 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, trivia, adventures, historic preservation

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:06 PM

As long as we're going all anecdotal, I knew college students who were short of money and didn't buy beer, cigarettes, or weed—and mommy didn't pay for them to come home.

I was one of them. I could barely afford food, let alone gas to visit my family. Not all of us had "mommy" to back us up. 

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#40 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,625 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

As long as we're going all anecdotal, I knew college students who were short of money and didn't buy beer, cigarettes, or weedand mommy didn't pay for them to come home.

I was one of them. I could barely afford food, let alone gas to visit my family. Not all of us had "mommy" to back us up. 
This!!!🤔
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users