Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

What Happened to #9 & #28 Moffat Tunnel subs?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

It's said the UP Moffat Tunnel sub has 28 tunnels east of the Moffat Tunnel.

The west most and closest tunnel to the Moffat Tunnel East portal tunnel is tunnel #30.

Curious about the discrepancy I got to looking at that sub using OpenRailwayMap and Google Maps.

Neither map shows a #9 nor #28 tunnel, which verifies there are just 28 tunnels regardless the tunnel numbering.

Did those 2 tunnel exist back in the day, or did whoever just goof the numbering back when?

Edited by KmH, 06 December 2017 - 02:10 PM.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#2 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:05 PM

The Open Railway Map tunnel numbers going westbound from Denver show no tunnel between tunnel 8 and tunnel 10.  Looking at that area using Goggle Earth imagery shows a 250 yard long area of bare earth beside the track which may be the vestige of tunnel 9 bulldozed down the slope.  A little farther West the Open Railway Map shows tunnels 16 and 17 but Google Earth shows another patch of bare ground which may where the last missing tunnel (tunnel 16½?) was located.  A more likely candidate for the second missing tunnel  (and in keeping with the numbering system)  lies about 200 yards West of tunnel 27 where a short 30 yard bare spot seen on Google Earth may be what's left of a very short tunnel or land bridge.  

My counts of the tunnels East of the Moffat also show 28 tunnels using the scrollable topographic maps here...  http://www.mytopo.com/maps/  ....as well as Google Earth satellite imagery.  

A search of the Historical Maps section of the USGS might allow you to find a series of maps in which the those two tunnels disappear between map updates.  Maybe.

Edited by niemi24s, 06 December 2017 - 06:13 PM.

#3 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,364 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:19 PM

That explanation seems the most likely.

Although the tracks between ALB and NYP are double tracked, there is at one point a tunnel on one track while the other track goes thru a cut in the mountain. So would that be listed as Tunnel XX 1/2?:huh:
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#4 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:27 PM

FWIW, I've seen evidence of another place where short tunnels have been eliminated by the railroads by apparently turning a tunnel into a cut.  It's on CSX's Blue Ridge Subdivision, just south of Spruce Pine NC.  It can be seen by comparing this older USGS topographic map to Google Earth or the most recent USGS map:

Attached File  NCAltapassNorthCoveb.jpg   201.91KB   10 downloads

As I recall, the 4 tunnels on the right hand side of that original cluster of 18 tunnels have been eliminated - not by rerouting the track but by turning the tunnel into a cut.

Edited by niemi24s, 06 December 2017 - 11:34 PM.

#5 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:51 PM

I saw the debris fields that may be evidence of where tunnels #9 & #28, likely both quite short tunnels if they existed, may have been back in the day.

I appreciate too that the OpenRailwayMap shows the route (with up to 4% grades) taken OVER the Continental Divide before the Moffatt Tunnel was made.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#6 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:22 AM

Current topographic maps and Google Earth only give hints of the original route replaced by the Moffat Tunnel.  But if you go back a few years in the USGS Historic Map Files you can find one that shows both the original route and the tunnel that replaced it:

Attached File  Original Route & Moffat Tunneld.jpg   249.85KB   9 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users