Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

School Me: London Tube; Oyster card; Senior Railcard; and more

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,311 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:25 AM

I guess I don;t quite understand your question. Could you provide an example of the "double line" segment that you refer to? Thanks.

#42 greatwestern

greatwestern

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:44 AM

The "double" lines on the "walking tube map" which I think you are querying, are in fact the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) [blue] and the London Overground routes [brown]. If you use the "standard" tube map (from the Maps tab on the site www.tfl.gov.uk) you will see the legend defines those routes with double lines. On the standard map you will also see the London Trams and TFL routes defined by double lines.

Edited by greatwestern, 13 December 2017 - 11:02 AM.

#43 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

The lines "key" shown on the walking map is incorrect... I did not notice that myself. The DLR and Overground are shown on the map differently to the "solid" tube lines.

Handy map for walking between stations, but not so great for finding the correct line to ride. :D

Edited by caravanman, 13 December 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#44 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:38 PM

I guess I don;t quite understand your question. Could you provide an example of the "double line" segment that you refer to? Thanks.

At Stratford, there are double lines (off-green) going in three directions, and a single line (gray) heading southwest (on the schematic). The legend shows no double lines.

Did that help?

Attached Files

#45 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:03 PM

At Stratford, there are double lines (off-green) going in three directions, and a single line (gray) heading southwest (on the schematic). The legend shows no double lines.

Did that help?

It's as caravanman said: the legend is incorrect, and the Docklands Light Railway (greenish-blue) and the Overground (orange) are shown on the map using double lines.

Another issue I see on that excerpt from the map is that the Central Line's red line kind of goes between two of the circles representing Stratford station. But it does stop there!

#46 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,311 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:55 PM

Yeah, in general only London Underground Lines are shown with solid lines.

London Overground (Orange) and DLR (Teal) are shown by those double lines.

Stratford is actually fine. It shown the double dark line transfer between three separate stations called Startford, two (London Overground and Central)  of which have stepless access to platform but not to the train, while the third (DLR and Jubilee) one has stepless access to trains. I actually know this to be true since I was there just the other day :)

Incidentally Stratford also is a stop on the International HSR (both Eurostar and Southest HSR Commuter Service)

#47 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:13 PM

Elsewhere on the map it's worth mentioning that the double-lined lime-green is the Trams; Double-Blue is TfL Rail (will be Crossrail/Elizabeth Line); and the Tripple-Red is the cable car.

peter

Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#48 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:06 AM

Did that help?

It's as caravanman said: the legend is incorrect, and the Docklands Light Railway (greenish-blue) and the Overground (orange) are shown on the map using double lines.

Another issue I see on that excerpt from the map is that the Central Line's red line kind of goes between two of the circles representing Stratford station. But it does stop there!

Yes, Central Line stops in Stratford.

#49 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:07 AM

Incidentally Stratford also is a stop on the International HSR (both Eurostar and Southest HSR Commuter Service)

As far as I am aware, it was intended when the route was designed that Eurostar stops in Stratford, but this doesn't actually happen (although I understand that during the Olympics some specials did stop there)

BTW, it was never the intention that Eurostars to / from St Pancras would stop in Stratford. Having two London stops so close together would have made little sense. The purpose of the international platforms at Stratford was that Eurostar trains heading for destinations north of London could use the station to serve London while by-passing the main stations and their approaches. This North of London Eurostar never materialized, largely because of the customs regime that wouldn't allow domestic passengers to use the trains, thus scuppering the business case.. 

Edited by cirdan, 15 December 2017 - 05:15 AM.

#50 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,311 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:02 AM

Right. Eurostars stop at Ebbsfleet a little further out across the river instead of Stratford these days. Only some, not all stop at Ebbsfleet, as they also do at Ashford International.

One interesting tidbit - for now only the Alstom consists can access Ashford International. The Siemens consists are not equipped with compatible signal/train control system.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Edited by jis, 15 December 2017 - 08:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users