Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak Stop OKd, Gets Mixed Reaction (Lake Forest, Illinois)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 reppin_the_847

reppin_the_847

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:04 PM

Amtrak Stop OK’d, Gets Mixed Reaction (Lake Forest, Illinois):

http://jwcdaily.com/...from-residents/

Looks like that new stop along the Hiawatha line is coming closer to fruition.  3 more round trips between Chicago & Milwaukee may be added as well.

For those that missed it, check out this link:

https://www.cityofla...-train-station/

Proposed schedule:

https://www.cityofla...ak_Schedule.pdf

You would need a rocketship to fly that fast currently from Lake Forest to Chicago's Union Station downtown (West Loop).  Most Metra trips are considerably longer.  Very impressive,  39 minute trip from Lake Forest to Chicago.  1 Hour trip from Lake Forest to Milwaukee.  A 45 minute trip from Lake Forest to Milwaukee Airport stop.

Edited by reppin_the_847, 05 December 2017 - 03:04 PM.

#2 reppin_the_847

reppin_the_847

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:35 AM

Also worth noting that there are numerous major corporate employers located near the Lake Forest Amtrak stop (proposed stop).  This could benefit employees from Milwaukee, Racine/Kenosha & Chicago tremendously.

Edited by reppin_the_847, 06 December 2017 - 03:36 AM.

#3 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

This makes Fox Lake-Sturtevant/Milwaukee Airport/Milwaukee trips plausible.  Also Antioch-Milwaukee theoretically (though I doubt the scheduling really works).

Next thing needed is reinstatement of Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee service; unfortunately the current Wisconsin government is sufficiently hostile that it could probably only be done on the municipal level.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#4 reppin_the_847

reppin_the_847

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:19 PM

This makes Fox Lake-Sturtevant/Milwaukee Airport/Milwaukee trips plausible.  Also Antioch-Milwaukee theoretically (though I doubt the scheduling really works).

Next thing needed is reinstatement of Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee service; unfortunately the current Wisconsin government is sufficiently hostile that it could probably only be done on the municipal level.

Great point.  Milwaukee Airport should find a way to market themselves even more to Lake County Illinois residents by touting the Amtrak connection.  As an added bonus, it's a much more pleasant experience than the Chicago airports.

#5 Hotblack Desiato

Hotblack Desiato

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:00 PM

Not sure what Antioch has to do with this.  The Antioch trains don't come anywhere near the Hiawatha Route, except for the last couple of miles into Union Station (not to mention, they already have a stop right on the edge of O'Hare Airport).

#6 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:19 PM

Not sure what Antioch has to do with this.  The Antioch trains don't come anywhere near the Hiawatha Route, except for the last couple of miles into Union Station (not to mention, they already have a stop right on the edge of O'Hare Airport).

The North Central trains have a connection at Prairie Crossing to the Milwaukee District North, so with two transfers one could travel from Antioch to Milwaukee via Prairie Crossing and Lake Forest.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SJC-LAX, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB MSP-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS-ALB, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-WAS
New Routes: LSL NYP-CHI, CZ CHI-RIC, CS SJC-SEA, EB SEA-MSP, SS FTL-MIA

#7 RPC

RPC

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:03 AM

The North Central trains have a connection at Prairie Crossing to the Milwaukee District North, so with two transfers one could travel from Antioch to Milwaukee via Prairie Crossing and Lake Forest.

The Prairie Crossing stations are about a three block walk apart; between that and the double transfer one would have to be a real rail enthusiast to consider that routing over driving!

With the addition of the Lake Forest stop, though, it would only take a connection at Des Plaines (very non-trivial given the routing of US14, but still...) to provide service from Milwaukee to O'Hare Transfer and on to Union Station.

#8 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:25 AM

What's all this talk of a "third rail"? When will the alternative study of catenary occur? :-p

#9 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:37 AM

What's all this talk of a "third rail"? When will the alternative study of catenary occur? :-p

I bristled at every mention of a "third rail" in that story as well. I don't expect everyone to use the correct terminology in every situation, but really? Couldn't go with third track or third set of rails? Nah, let's just keep saying "third rail" as if we're talking about CTA 'L' lines or something.

#10 NorthShore

NorthShore

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

I bristled at every mention of a "third rail" in that story as well. I don't expect everyone to use the correct terminology in every situation, but really? Couldn't go with third track or third set of rails? Nah, let's just keep saying "third rail" as if we're talking about CTA 'L' lines or something.

Or, simply, "passing siding"?

But, with a name of North Shore and avatar of an Electroliner, it did get me awfully excited!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users