Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Will Santa make an appearance?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kendoggbyrd_*

Guest_kendoggbyrd_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:03 PM

What deal does Santa have with Amtrak if you take any of their trains the week of Christmas eve? Will Santa make an appearance? Do conductors and/or passengers dress as Santa? Is there a special menu in the dining car?

#2 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:04 AM

I've never seen any crew dressed as Santa, but the conductors on the Wolverine and Blue Water will sometimes wear Santa hats, elf hats, candy cane headbands, etc.

I've also seen sleeper cars decorated with Christmas lights and window decorations (taped to the walls instead of hanging in the windows).

Amtrak Miles: 43,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#3 RichieRich

RichieRich

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:28 PM

For the last 3 years we've had bedrooms on the AT on Xmas Eve. Never saw any Santa...but a few of us do put up colored lights.

#4 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:13 PM

A very long time ago, I remember someone dress as Santa walking thru the train offering small gifts to the kids who were thrilled.  He told them he hadn't forgotten because they were traveling.  Presents awaited them at home or where they were going.  The DC offered the traditional turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, vegetable, and pumpkin pie, plus other selections.  Our SCA made special figures with towels for all the kids traveling in his car, many happily took them home.  There were Christmas movie's shown in the SSL.  More recently I found no sign of Christmas on the train.

#5 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:25 PM

Will the Grinch show up? Or even Ebeneezer Scrooge? Aren't they managers? :giggle:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users