Full size truck on AutoTrain?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m considering taking the AutoTrain for the first time next year, but I’m wondering if there will be a problem because I drive a larger vehicle - a 2017 Silverado Z71. It’s not customized or lifted or anything like that. It’s just your typical stock truck. Can the train accommodate my truck?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

They say no dual-wheel vehicles, but it doesn't sound like yours is one with dual wheels in those flared out fenders. I looked up the specs, and it says 80 inches wide when the max allowed is 84 inches. If it hasn't been modified, it should be under 88 inches height.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/silverado/2017.tab1.html

You should have no problem, but of course it's going to fit tighter than most vehicles going on the Auto Train.

A Chevy Silverado? Thats not a full size truck, its a pickup truck. What is it with people who think a pickup is al that large? A Peterbilt is a large truck, a Silverado is a small one.

In the land of pickup trucks (the best selling vehicles in the US) F-150, Titan, and Silverado are what are called full sized. For vehicles that are regularly used as passenger vehicles (and in many states can get regular plates) they are classed as large.

My daily driver is a GMC Yukon XL. I've been doing the AT every other month, sometimes monthly for years = never a problem. I have even seen people tow a trailer on board. Just follow the dimensions printed above.

In a land where such vehicles are primarily used as family vehicles, and as you said are the best selling things around, they are not large. A truck is a commercial vehicle with truck tags. A pickup truck is a utility vehicle.

That depends on the state. It is not the same across the board. Many states have utilization based registration classes not size based. A truck does not always have to be registered as such. I had a branch with 20 small pickup trucks with truck tags.

Back