Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Possible to combine discounts?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rocks

Rocks

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:06 AM

New here, looked for a "search" function but no luck. Wife + I just finished a trip on Coast Starlight + thought we'd plan a couple more. Previously, only train trip was to Parris Island for boot back in '68. Anyway, my question is, can you combine discounts? We're seniors, vets, + AAA members. If not, seems it would be better to book hotels ourselves rather than goin thru Amtrak. Appreciate any input.

#2 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:56 AM

Nope. Can't combine discounts for Amtrak travel.

https://www.amtrak.c...erydayDiscounts

Also, while there are discounts that apply to the rail fare, those discounts don't also apply to sleeping accommodations. 

The cost of sleeping accommodation includes rail fare.

So the cost of a Roomette for 2 has 1 charge for the roomette and 2 rail fares.

Each type of discount usually has other limitations too:

https://www.amtrak.c...=SeniorDiscount

https://www.amtrak.c...vantageDiscount

https://www.amtrak.c...AAAdultDiscount

Edited by KmH, 04 December 2017 - 10:57 AM.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#3 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,485 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:41 PM

Amtrak sometimes has fare specials, but I don't know of too many businesses (and Amtrak is a business) that make a habit of combining discounts where a customer can consistently get deep discounts.  These are promotions designed to attract travelers with a discount where they can still try to recoup their costs.  A 10% or 15% discount is still one where they can justify it, but if you could manage to combine several for a 50% discount it's not one that works for Amtrak.

But short answer - no.  They only allow one discount at a time.

#4 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,366 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:40 PM

You can not combine more than 1 discount. Price each out and chose the lowest fare. (The Senior discount is 15% off the full fare, but AAA is only 10% off the full fare.) But also be careful - some special fares may be lower, so if using them you may have to chose adult as your fare! (The special fare may be 30% off, but if you chose AAA it will revert to only 10% off the full fare!)
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#5 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:55 PM

@the_traveler:

Good to know!

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#6 bratkinson

bratkinson

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:02 PM

EVERY NOW AND THEN...

I sometimes 'price out' each segment of my trip at both 'full fare adult' and 'senior'.  Sometimes I find the full fare lower than the senior rate, most often in Business Class on the NEC.  The Amtrak reservation computer gets mildly 'upset' when I logon as I'm a senior, but it still accepts full-fare booking.

As an aside, when using the free one-class upgrade passes I got for AGR Select and a year ago, Select Plus status, I can never recall if I have to pay a couple dollars extra when making the upgrade for getting 'senior' price or 'saver' price selection.  The coupons state 'full fare', so these days, I think I have to use full fare rate for the lowest bucket when I book.  Stated differently, booking at senior rate AND using an upgrade coupon apparently counts as combining discounts/offers.

#7 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:15 PM

As an aside, when using the free one-class upgrade passes I got for AGR Select and a year ago, Select Plus status, I can never recall if I have to pay a couple dollars extra when making the upgrade for getting 'senior' price or 'saver' price selection.  The coupons state 'full fare', so these days, I think I have to use full fare rate for the lowest bucket when I book.  Stated differently, booking at senior rate AND using an upgrade coupon apparently counts as combining discounts/offers.

I have always found the upgrade and/or companion coupons were only good when paying full fare. No discount was allowed.

#8 Rocks

Rocks

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:23 PM

Thanx for the responses!

#9 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:26 PM

I have always found the upgrade and/or companion coupons were only good when paying full fare. No discount was allowed.

That has been my experience also.  However, not that I believe anything coming from AGR, my coupons state

Upgrade may be combined with corporate, AAA, disability, NARP, military, student, and senior discounts

I couldn't find anything saying that you can combine the upgrade with the discount, but have to pay extra.

#10 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,406 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:55 PM

Back in the good ole days of AGR1.0,( when I still had Status) Anthony, the founder of AU, and then working @ Amtrak in the AGR Program,clarified the policy which states exactly what PaulM quouted!

Another case of Amtrak employees making up their own rules on the fly!😥
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users