Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Help with Travel From Washington DC to San Francisco with stop overs

22 replies to this topic

#21 BCL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:18 PM

Just to be sure, when you arrive from SA are you flying into Dulles (IAD), an int'l gateway, or another gateway with a connection to Reagan/National (DCA) /  It may make a difference in how you start off....The extension of the Air and Space Museum out at Dulles is excellent if you are out there, otherwise, lots to see in DC...

Maybe even Baltimore?  I found flying into Baltimore was cheaper, and of course that could mean a chance for train time to get to DC.

#22 Seaboard92

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:01 PM

If you want an all rail routing from and to San Fransisco one can also take Amtrak to San Jose Dirndon station and the CalTrain on to San Fransisco.

The other fun routing you could do.
Leg 1:WAS-CHI on train 51 the Cardinal.
Leg 2: CHI-DEN on train 5 the California Zephyr
Leg 3: DEN-Bay area on train 5 the California Zephyr
Leg 4: Bay Area-LAX on train 11 the Coast Starlight
Leg 5: LAX-SAS on train 2 the Sunset Limited
Leg 6: SAS-NOL on train 2 the sunset limited.
Leg 7: NOL-WAS on train 20 the Crescent.

That would give you a great variety of scenery giving you the best of the mid Atlantic/Appalachian, heartland, Rockies, California, southwest, and Deep South.

Even though I would recommend that you go to the Portland/Seattle area as I find that area the most scenic in the country. In that regard sub leg 2 and either take the Seattle section or Portland section of the builder. Then leg 3 the Starlight to the Bay Area.

You really can't go wrong with either train the Seattle section goes over Stevens Pass and winds its way down to the Puget sound. And the Portland section glides along the Columbia River Gorge.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#23 Guest_guest_*

• Guests

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:35 PM

I want to second the suggestion to see the Grand Canyon if you possibly can.  It doesn't have to be an ambitious visit.  I'd skip the trip to the bottom and just enjoy the magnificent scenery around the rim.  An overnight would be nice if you can spare the time, but even if you can only manage a couple of hours there I don't think you'd ever regret taking the time to see it.  Nothing else is comparable, really.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users